Speed MechaniX practice thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Speed MechaniX practice thread!

I went through another Statina book I have today: Speed & thrash metal guitar method (by Troy and Tony Burton). Not really into those style but it was a fun practice for rhythm technique...

Comment

alright... another one..

dont know if it's covered in the book, cos i'm still on the first 15 pages... seems like i got to a standstill speed vise... well.. i got a pretty sweet speed going on (on certain licks .. so i KNOW i can go as fast, maybe a touch faster than that.. now i just got to get that speed all across the board.. and move on to creative improvisation @ that speed later on)

anyway.. here's the finger and brain breaker

alternating chromatic string skipping exercises
      you start on the E, then switch to D, then A and G .. so on and so forth.
      once you master THAT.. (or in the middle) do the B: one
      Code:
      A:
      e|- #3-#2--#5-#4
      B|- #2-#3--#4-#5
      G|- #3-#2--#5-#4
      D|- #2-#3--#4-#5
      A|- #3-#2--#5-#4
      E|- #2-#3--#4-#5
          /\ \/  /\ \/

B
      e|- #2-#3--#4-#5
      B|- #2-#3--#4-#5
      G|- #3-#2--#5-#4
      D|- #3-#2--#5-#4
      A|- #2-#3--#4-#5
      E|- #2-#3--#4-#5
          /\ \/  /\ \/
      seems like this is all i'm doing these days LOL... i realy need to move on to exercises 9-13 and master those lol .... i practicaly havent even stated doing them, since i want to aquire some finger independence and all that before... but i think stuck myself too much on these few. since i'm feeling i'm not getting anywhere right now

enjoy!
      Last edited by Davey; 02-13-2007, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Exercise #34 is such a simple one, but it gives me constant trouble. I find it very hard to play quickly, while being smooth, clean and fluid. How are you guys with it?
        '94 Gibson Les Paul Classic Prem Plus - WCR Darkburst/Godwood
        '00 Gibson Les Paul Standard - PG/Custom
        '03 Warmoth Korina super strat - SSL-1/JB
        '06 Schecter Gryphon - '59/JB
        '07 Fender JV Strat - Antiquity Texas Hot Set
        Alvarez AJ60SC Acoustic

'07 Bogner XTC 101B ---> Bogner 4X12 w/G12H-30/Vintage 30 combo
        '07 Mesa Stiletto Ace 1X12 combo w/Scumback M75

Comment

Originally posted by disturb View Post
          Exercise #34 is such a simple one, but it gives me constant trouble. I find it very hard to play quickly, while being smooth, clean and fluid. How are you guys with it?
          Hi disturb,

Haven't gotten to that one yet. I'm hangin' with my two routines (up to exercise #33) till the end of the month. At my current rate, I will not meet my goals for these set, but oh well, that's why I have a day job.
          Originally posted by Scott_F
          On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

#27 kicks so much ass it's not even funny!

especially if you mix it up a bit.

THIS is what i mean!
            listen or die!

still without a metronome, since my old PS for the boss drum machine is busted (and i dont want to go broke if i run it on batteries) so i'll do double tracked stuff and all that jazz when i get the chance.
            Last edited by Davey; 02-14-2007, 01:52 PM.

Comment

That exercise is tough for me, also. Mine sounds pretty close to yours in terms of both speed and accuracy, but you've done an interesting variation which is cool.

Davey, when you are doing that exercise do you bring both the pinky and first finger down to the fretboard at the same time after the open note, or do you bring them down one after the other? I wish I could bring them down at the same time, but I cannot, I end up doing sort of a rocking motion (one finger on board at a time), which I think is slowing me down.
              On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

i have no idea really..

when i do it slow, i do it one finger at a time, when i speed it up, to where it still sounds like something, i think i bring both of them down at about the same time, but to be 100% sure, you'd have to film it with a high speed camera and slow it down hehe..

now THAT would be so cool to be able to do.. cos when you'd review your finger motions slowed down, you could exactly pin point your mistakes and flaws...
                but lets not daydream here lol

Comment

Originally posted by disturb View Post
                  I reviewed that one tonight. Anything chromatic is gonna be a beyotch. I'll check back wit' ya on that one in March - it's the 4-3-2-1 that gets me every time - mush.

Comment

Dudes, I was able to bump 'em all up 4 to 6 bpm tonight. Progress - yess.

Comment

man, i only work with 10bpm increments

:fing25:

lol
                      good on ya though

Comment

Originally posted by Davey View Post
                        man, i only work with 10bpm increments

:fing25:

lol
                        good on ya though
                        Dude, I'm talking 4 bpm - American. With the current exchange rate, that's about 10 Euro.

Comment

Originally posted by JammerMatt View Post
                          Dude, I'm talking 4 bpm - American. With the current exchange rate, that's about 10 Euro.

Comment

Some days you stink it up, some days you don't. Tonight, I didn't. Moving up the ol' metronome on all exercises. I might even meet my goals by the end of Feb.

How're the rest of y'alls doing?

Comment

****ty ... dont practice as much as i intended to. too much **** going on and i frickin hate it!!!

and i still dont have the PS.. might have it wednesday, so everything is pretty pointless, since i can only move up in speed, train my fingers, then be out of synch again, when i get the drum machine to work again.

though i have to say i have zero problems with my right hand. i have to un-teach my left and start from scratch, so at least half is pretty decent

but #15 is majorly ****ing pissing me off!!!! but only the first part... the 431 314 142 421 THAT finger doesnt and doesnt want to fret. 75% of the time my ring finger comes down
                              Last edited by Davey; 02-18-2007, 06:13 AM.

Comment

What are you guys talking about??? What is this "Speed Mechanix" and why all the hype? Is this for newbie shredders or something?

Why would anyone need more than the carl culpepper or troy stetina books?

I figure if you can't learn to shred with one of those books, you might as well stick to playing Green Day or something

Comment

Working...
                                X