X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Speed MechaniX practice thread!

Originally posted by Davey View Post
    you all will quit, once i really start!
    I haven't quit, bro. But doing these chromatics makes me want to.
    Originally posted by Scott_F
    On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

Originally posted by YJM_Rocks View Post
      i got mine!!

Welcome, now unleash the fookin' fury!
      On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

One small question for you guys (specifically the one's that don't have a 'Number 1' guitar.

I have three guitars (Strat, Strat, Tele) and all have varying degrees of playablity. The Tele is the hardest to play, as the strings are a bit heavier, and the neck is a bit slower. The Strats are easier to play. When it comes to doing these kinds of exercises, which one should I be looking to use? Would I be selling myself short if I used the easiest ones to play?
        Fender Guitars ~ Marshall Amps ~ Seymour Duncan Pickups

Match Made in Heaven

Comment

I'd say learn on the one you're most likely to play fast runs on. If you're going to be playing on all three, switch off practicing on each of them. I think the biggest thing is that you're developing overall strength, agility, and muscle memory.

- Keith
          Originally posted by ImmortalSix
          I am just jug the merlot

Comment

play the one that is the easiest to play

Comment

I've had that same debate with myself. My Les Paul does HO/POs easier than my Jackson, but my Jackson is easier for the alternate picking and speed picking stuff. I'm sticking with the Jackson mainly as it's just plain easier to lug around.

I would agree though, go with what's easiest - no sense getting an injury or something.

Comment

now i'm playing with both...

and i'm at a dilemma ..
                for higher register playing, the jackson is better, cos of its longer scale.. for lower register playing, the charvel is nicer, cos you dont have to stretch the INSANE gilbert distances (DAMN HIS 2 MILE LONG PINKY!!!) (OT - the miracle man (spiderweb cover that i posted) sounds AMAZING!)

if you played technical difficulties, you know which stretch i mean... the E and A string 3 - 5 - 7 stretch >.< @ 125bpm 16th note tripplets or whatever LOL crazy man. CRAZY!

i had to leave it and practice stretching licks (ben gave me a GREAT one a couple of minutes ago)
                Code:
                e|6|-19-15-12----------|----------12-------|----
                B|8|----------19-15-12-|-19-15-12----19-15-|-12-
                hard enough for picking, now try it with pulloffs. ( i dont need to mention that they are tripplets,do it?)

anyway.. i got a fair bit of TD down (intro and all that fancy stuff, so i can go on and pinpoint the weaknesses, like the stretches and string skipping) and then kick it up, to its intended speed.
                i got to master it in 4 weeks!

i'll post tomorrow, as to what the layout is and how i intend to tackle it.

Comment

12 to 19 - insanity.

Comment

Everyone, play an F note on your high E string, first fret with your index finger, then tell me what is the highest note you can play with your pinky finger, whilst keeping your index finger on the first fret.

Match Made in Heaven

Comment

highest i can reach, or highest i can play clean?

highest i can reach is A# (6th fret)
                      highest i can play is a G# (4th)

Comment

Originally posted by Davey View Post
                        highest i can reach, or highest i can play clean?

highest i can reach is A# (6th fret)
                        highest i can play is a G# (4th)
                        I can reach the 6th fret too, but cleanly, I can play the 5th fret, as is necessary to play the into to Maiden's 'Gates of Tomorrow'.

Match Made in Heaven

Comment

i got Technical Difficulties close to 90bpm (the intro/harmonised part. if you look at this tab http://www.guitaretab.com/r/racer-x/22918.html till the Bass Fill part)
                          it's got a couple of rough spots (two stretches, that i cant quite pull off totaly clean) but othervise, it's going along nicely. i also found out i'm using my pinky A LOT more than before. even very high up in the register.

Comment

what tha **** are you talking about?
                            aahahaahahah
                            Ibanez RG7420-Evo 7-Liquifire 7
                            Ibanez RG7420-Blaze Custom 7-Air Norton 7
                            Ibanez RG550-Nailbomb-Nailbomb
                            Jackson DXMG-Juggernaut - Juggernaut
                            Ibanez RGT6EX-81-60A
                            Ibanez RGT42DX-BlackHawk - BlackHawk
                            Fender Am Std-Holy Diver-Emerald

Charvel Fusion DLX-81-SA
                            Ibanez SR505 MIK Bass.

Fender EVH 5510 III 50w Head + Custom 2X12 Cabinet W/ WGS Liberator Speakers.

Comment

Originally Posted by Davey
                              Question:
                              does anybody else have the problem of lifting their pinky too high off the fretboard? i got no probs with the other fingers, they usualy stay within 1/2 " off the fretboard, but my pinky just flies off for miles =/ i cant keep it it line
                              +1, been noticing that a lot the past few weeks

the book came in today.......its on!

Comment

Originally posted by Robbiedbee View Post
                                I can reach the 6th fret too, but cleanly, I can play the 5th fret, as is necessary to play the into to Maiden's 'Gates of Tomorrow'.
                                I can only reach the 5th fret, and can only be playable at the 4th. I'm short... but THICK!

Comment

Working...
                                X