banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who here uses .009 gauge strings on their les paul or les paul copy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who here uses .009 gauge strings on their les paul or les paul copy?

9-46 was my go-to for years but now I prefer 10-48 or 10-50. However, we do play a half step down and often drop from there.

Comment

Tried 11-52 on my Epiphone Les Paul, but went down to 10-46 this year. E standard tuning. I love the 10-46 feel and doubt I'll change any time soon. My action is fairly low so bending and vibrato are easy. I don't hear any loss of tone, and I play a wide variety of styles on this particular guitar. I'm sure 9s would be great to play, but I have no need. I'm not a shredder either so there's no incentive to go super-light.

Comment

11-48 on my LP and my Godin Exit 22 (24.75" scale), 10-46, 10-50 or 10-52 on my Strats, 11-54 on my Vandenberg. I'm a bass player, so 9 strings are way to rubber band on my LP.

Comment

I currently use 9s on my Hamer Monaco Elite but will be changing to 10s next change of strings.
          Hopping from a tele with 10s to a short scale guitar with 9s makes the lighter strings on the Hamer feel loose as hell.

Will probably end up with 10s, ...and 9s on all my 25.5" scale guitars for consistency.

Comment

.011 to .056 D'Addario's here ..... who plays with .009's lol.

Billy Gibbons plays with .007's which is so wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post

Billy Gibbons plays with .007's which is so wrong.
              I'm primarily a medium string user as well. But those who play with lights and ultra lights develop a very soft touch. That's how they do it.
              Originally posted by LesStrat
              Yogi Berra was correct.
              Originally posted by JOLLY
              I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
                Plenty of guitar players including Dr. Brian May, Ph.D.

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                - when studying tone, I found out that (for ex) Iommi, May, Gibbons, Page, EVH all used 9's or 8's and got fantastic tone

Comment

What is this tuning stability problem you all speak of?

Jokes aside, I use .009s on my strat-scale guitars, almost no matter what. I've found that having a .040 thick E balanced better than a .042 for everything except open G chords, where I tend to apply a little too much force, but .009-.040 sets in pure nickel are pretty much impossible to find these days, after Fender discontinued theirs, so .009-.042 it is. For LP-scale guitars I have used .009s, but i found that .010s normally make for a smoother transition from strat-scales.

In general, use what feels comfortable to you, and ignore the people who insist on thicker strings sound better. Legendary tones have been recorded with every sort of string gauge, from .007 (Billy Gibbons and KK Downing) to .013.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

Ive loved Brian for 40+ years but not in my top 3 of all time.

Not a fan of his guitars or the AC30.

We all different Bro.

As for old school brits gimme Townsend over May any day.

Comment

I use 9s on Strats, 10s on LP scale. I don't 'string shame' people.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                        Brian even used .008s for a long time. He apparently changed to .009s because the serrated edges of the coins he uses as picks continually broke his strings.

Comment

String shaming is funny. It used to be heavier string users busting on light string users. More recently, it’s light string users insisting that heavier strings are unnecessary. I’ve tried both, and prefer heavier ones.

For the record, saying that guy whoever used lighter/heavier strings as proof that they can sound a certain way is dumb. That’s the point where the “it’s in the hands” thing comes into play.
                          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

10 on anything and everything. Every once and again I'll play 9's, or 11's.
                            Originally posted by Bad City
                            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by ColHogan View Post
                              I use 9's and they can be different depending on some things such as, if you do a lot of bending it can be better to have 9's verses higher gauge strings. I use 9's because for me they just seem to feel better. It's one of those things that just a personal fit. I use 10's also but I like the way the 9's bend. Many famous guitarists use 9's or even 8's. Billy Gibbons, Brian May, Frank Zappa((RIP), Angus Young...ect.
                              So Connol Hogan, Vee zee zat you are wacky just like zee namesake, ja? Vhat made you select zis ancient thread for zee first post???
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

9-46 on everything (and I have both 24.75” & 25.5” scale guitars) because:

• more convenient than keeping different strings on different guitars

• bending is easier

• the amount of tone difference is negligible and easily offset by other factors in the chain

• my fingertips are wimpier than they were 30 years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Originally posted by The Commodores?
                                "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

Working...
                                X