banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who here uses .009 gauge strings on their les paul or les paul copy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who here uses .009 gauge strings on their les paul or les paul copy?

To clarify, I said "it's in the hands" not "tone is in the hands." The hands are what pick and fret the strings, what hold the guitar, what turn the knobs on the amp, what plug in the pedals, etc...

Everyone loves to misunderstand when people say that. When someone says, "EVH sounds like himself no matter what he's using," they don't mean if Ed plugs a Squier Bullet into a Gorilla practice amp that it magically sounds identical to his Woman And Children First rig. They mean you can obviously tell it's Ed playing.

It's the same with any of the people who can make anything sound good. Mandolin players refer to it as pulling tone from an instrument, and it's another example of how much more important WHAT someone plays is than the instrument they're playing.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

There is no problem with using .09s as long as you use the correct guitar strap. Nylon straps can make .09s sound trebly and leather seems to make them muddy and bassy.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
        There is no problem with using .09s as long as you use the correct guitar strap. Nylon straps can make .09s sound trebly and leather seems to make them muddy and bassy.
        Its the rug
        Persian rugs are the best tone
        Look at any of the images of great live bands
        You'll see that tone rug
        Helps with feedback and transients
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I use 9.5-44 on my LP and love it , but I also tune standard A440 .
          Last edited by JB6464; 12-02-2019, 10:03 PM.

Comment

When I think of what my guitar heroes use for string gauges then the lighter strings are the majority. I can only think of two that used heavier gauges. SRV was one and Malcolm Young was the other. I use 09's on strats and 10's for others. Maybe I will go to 09's for everything.
            Last edited by Lovegun; 12-03-2019, 04:28 AM.

Comment

I couldn't stand the 9's on my strat it had when I bought it. switched to 10 set first, which was huge improvement. Now using 10-48 sets exclusively.

On the other hand, I've played with my friends LP's with 9's and while I think those feel... Well I think doesn't really have "feel" so to speak, like it just plays fine, but I don't feel the same liveliness and responsivity I get with thicker strings.
              "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
              Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

I was using 9s on the shreddier guitars and 10 on my blues or jazz focused axes. String management became a pain in the ass so now I just buy boxes of .09s to keep things simple.

Comment

I have 10's on my short scale guitar's & 9's on my 25.5's That way the string tension stays pretty much the same for both.

...just have 2 short scale axe's so it's not a problem managing/keeping track.
                  "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                  If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                    I was using 9s on the shreddier guitars and 10 on my blues or jazz focused axes. String management became a pain in the ass so now I just buy boxes of .09s to keep things simple.
                    This is my theory
                    One big box of strings
                    Not several packs scattered around
                    EHD
                    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I've tried .10s, on Gibson scale length guitars but they felt kinda floppy in standard tuning. I don't play delicately enough to be comfortable with .09s. Going up to .12s with a wound third hurts my hands when banding.

Medium gauge .11s feel about right to me in standard tuning. You can set the action very low without fret buzz, and you can whack the strings hard when you need to without them flopping all over. The biggest downside is when you try out guitars at the shop though . . . they're all a bit to wiggly.
                      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Its all psychology. After my "shredder" endeavours in my early 20s I decided that I should always use heavier gauge strings to make my fingers strong. BS. I once put 9s on my 25" single cut and loved it. Too bad my brain is still stuck to using 10's to be "correct".

Comment

It's not really about fingers being strong . . . I find bigger strings are easier to control. I feel like you get a slightly better sound through single coil pickups with 'em too . . . but it doesn't seem to matter with humbuckers.

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by greekdude View Post
                            Its all psychology. After my "shredder" endeavours in my early 20s I decided that I should always use heavier gauge strings to make my fingers strong. BS. I once put 9s on my 25" single cut and loved it. Too bad my brain is still stuck to using 10's to be "correct".
                            ... but it does make your fingers/hands stronger. If I'm using 10s, then put on 11s, it's harder to play for awhile. After a few days of heavy playing, it's not hard anymore. If my fingers weren't getting stronger, they'd stay hard to play. If I go back to 10s, they feel really easy to play.
                            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                              ... but it does make your fingers/hands stronger. If I'm using 10s, then put on 11s, it's harder to play for awhile. After a few days of heavy playing, it's not hard anymore. If my fingers weren't getting stronger, they'd stay hard to play. If I go back to 10s, they feel really easy to play.
                              I agree, and for this reason I think it is not a bad idea to have a guitar strung up with heavier strings than you normally use. The benefits of playing lighter strings are less obvious, but it might help to increase ones dynamic range and overall control, since you have to play lighter.
                              Last edited by Sirion; 12-04-2019, 07:42 PM.

Comment

I've experimented with different gauge strings on my acoustic, and find that lighter gauges (11s) seem to sustain for longer than 13s. Not sure if this holds true for electrics or not.

Comment

Working...
                                X