No announcement yet.

Coffee to age platic? : RESULTS! (Pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffee to age platic? : RESULTS! (Pics)

Hey everyone,

So this is a follow up to my other thread about the ways to age plastic on a guitar. After hearing and reading a lot of things, I figured out what I was going to do. There where three elements that were key when I was going to age the parts, and they are prep, stain and heat.

So I took the parts off of my guitar, I then took a small piece of 150 sandpaper (the finest I had around the house, and roughed up the parts a little bit. I made sure not to created spots that where more rough than others, exept the edges of the knobs that I roughed up a bit more, to get that worn hands-on look.

Then I brewed my coffee. I made the strongest possible batch I could, using Tim Horton's coffee. I then waited 20 minutes, and placed the coffee in a pirex pot, with a glass top.

I then placed the roughed pieces into the coffee, at noon, under the sun, with the glass top so I wouldn't lose to much coffee. I made sure to have about an inch of coffee above the parts, so the sun wouldn't shine through to much.

Let me tell you, the coffee stayed HOT the whole time! So after about only 3:30 in the coffee, I pulled out my test knob, and it was PERFECT. Only 3.5 hours! I washed them off before installing them on the guitar, and used the hair drying on low to dry them.

The first and second picture is the pieces after 3.5 hours, on the backplate, wich was their original color.

The other pictures are the parts on the guitar.

The third picture is the guitar with the white parts. ( The finish of the guitar is a lot more yellow, because the first owner smoked a lot. He then replaced the knobs and pup covers with real fender ones to make them look whiter when he got the new pickguard.

Hope this helps clear up some myths about the coffee thing, and I hope if someone wants to do the same thing, this can help them pull it off in under 4 hours, with about 25 mins of actual work involved. I went for as natural of a look as I could get, and I am happy with the results!

Enjoy!
    Last edited by phil_104; 06-30-2008, 01:35 PM.
    - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Re: Coffee to age platic? : RESULTS! (Pics)

Continued.... Please note that because of the flash, the contrast is MUCH more dramatic in real life, and looks very natural.
    - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

Always fresh, always tim hortons:P...that turned out really good, definitely looks well aged!

Comment

I figured at least one canadian would be amused by the Tim's coffee I used.

I'm glad you think it looks good. The pics don't do it justice, in person it looks very natural and classy, caus the guitar has a few scratches, it looks like a very old guitar that has wear, but not beaten.

Since it is a highway 1, some time arond it will become a relic on it's own.

Comment

Cool --- good deal!
          my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

that is pretty cool... i have some old 1983 USA 57 Reissue Fender Strat PU's that i have been wanting to buy aged parts for... the stock covers are aged a bit but quite uneven at that... the neck PU cover is much darker then the others...

i've had a plan to use these 57 Pickups in a 50's style 2 tone paint job Warmoth swamp ash strat body... a hardtail at that.... sure the warmoth is not vintage correct and is in poly but it's one of the few sources to get a 2-tone hardtail body from...

Comment

Originally posted by phil_104 View Post
              I figured at least one canadian would be amused by the Tim's coffee I used.
              lol, it doesn't help that I work at tim hortons too.

Comment

Tims is good coffee... but i'm not a fan of the food... i end up going to Coffee Time and Country Style more often... in my town there is 5 Tims!!!! and everyone has a drive thru line up!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WhoFan View Post
                  Tims is good coffee... but i'm not a fan of the food... i end up going to Coffee Time and Country Style more often... in my town there is 5 Tims!!!! and everyone has a drive thru line up!!!!
                  Good news is their coffee works great on plastic parts !!!

Comment

Originally posted by phil_104 View Post
                    Good news is their coffee works great on plastic parts !!!

i'll try it and get back to ya!

Comment

ya, the food honestly isn't the greatest, subway and quizno's has much better sandwiches, at a much better price for the amount of food you get. It's not a bad place to work though. And ya, the DT lines are always busy, lol. It is good to know the coffee is good for something though.

Comment

Looks cool!

Comment

i'll try it and get back to ya!
                          It worked for me, so let me know if it works for you.

Comment

Told ya!

Easy as can be, and look great.
                            -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                            “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Originally posted by mrturtle_91 View Post
                              ya, the food honestly isn't the greatest, subway and quizno's has much better sandwiches, at a much better price for the amount of food you get.
                              That being said, the doughnuts are pretty good and iced caps are like crack..
                              Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
                              I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
                              Andrew - None

Comment

Working...
                              X