Pictures of my new rig...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pictures of my new rig...

...or why this is still the best place on the web.

On December 2, 2007, my church was burned down by an arsonist. I lost over $2,000 in equipment in that fire - including a Crate Power Block amp, a homemade 2x12 speaker cab, a pedalboard, and a lot of cables. Here is my old pedalboard:

A few days later I started a thread about the incident. It was obviously very upsetting to me and I wanted to let you guys know. I also knew that I would be replacing the lost gear, and I was asking for advice about what to get.

I got a lot of sympathy and prayers (as I recall, over three pages of responses) a blessing that really has meant a lot to me.

I got a lot of good advice, such as pros and cons concerning multi-effects vs single effects. Probably the best advice was to buy used.

But the most unexpected responses came in the form of genuine offers of help. I hope I don't embarrass anyone, but I want publicly thank everyone.

formula73 sent me his EH Small Clone Chorus to replace the one I lost. I loved that pedal and it hurt to lose it. This was an unbelievable blessing.

d1dsj offered to send me two Eminence speakers. A very kind offer, but we both agreed that the shipping from the UK would be more than the speakers were worth. Still I appreciated the offer.

Gr8Scott sent me a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal and made me a great deal on Bad Monkey (another pedal I loved). He also offered a Tube Screamer, but found that critical parts were missing.

Lazarus1140 gave me a good deal on a Boss TR-2 tremolo pedal.

RockStarNick similarly gave me a good deal on a MXR Distortion.

But the beyond the call offer came from Vibrolux. Greg had previously made the Switcheroo pedal for me which I used as an input switcher to select guitars. In the midst of all his wedding plans, he offered to make a new pedal. An awesome offer. I couldn't believe it.

But I thought it would be cool to use the original blackened box as a kind of memento. Thankfully Greg agreed. So about two weeks after the fire, we were allowed into the building to look at the damage. I crossed the police tape and grabbed the charred box off my pedal board. Then sent it to Greg.

He did a great job, and it works even better than the original (I had an odd polarity issue that has mysteriously gone away.) If you're reading this Greg, I don't know what you did but thanks, and I have to say that every time I open the case, I still get a whiff of the smoke.

So again, thanks to everyone - for your generosity, and your prayers and kind thoughts.

Here is my new rig:

The amp is a V Series V3112 that I bought used at my local music store. The 2x12 speaker cab is from Avatar. My wife picked the color, but I'm digging it.

My pedal board - in it's case:

and a close up of the layout

and the cabling system

In case you haven't noticed, I'm a big fan of color coding. I used three different colors of GeorgeL cables - Red is the input section up to board preamp. Blue is the section before being sent to the amp. White is for the effects loop.

In order - Red:
    Switcheroo - used to select guitars
    Boss TU-2 Tuner
    Board preamp - I haven't played with this much, but I like the idea. It enables me to select a volume level for the input.

Blue:
    Ibanez WD7 Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
    Yamaha Compressor (still learning how to use this)
    Boss DS-1
    Bad Monkey
    MXR Distortion III

White (effects loop):
    Boss TR-2 Tremolo (Analogman modded)
    Boss PH-2 Phaser
    Boss DD-6 Delay
    EH Small Clone Chorus

Most of this stuff is used, which for me adds something special to it all. My insurance along with the church insurance came through for me - but without all your help here, I couldn't have done it. Again a big THANK YOU to everyone.
    Last edited by RW James; 03-10-2008, 10:54 PM.
    Rick
    (the original Rick James!)

Sing unto Him a new song; play skillfully with a LOUD noise. Psalm 33:3
    Lincoln Brewster Kutless Newsboys Third Day David Crowder U2

Re: Pictures of my new rig...

VAULT!! This is a very touching thread and proof that some of the best, nicest guitarists log onto this forum!! Your new pedalboard looks exactly the same as your old one as far as I can tell (a good thing) and you've got a nice amp/cab set up there! ROCK ON!
    "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Fender_Punk View Post
      ...Your new pedalboard looks exactly the same as your old one as far as I can tell ...
      You're right! Thanks for catching that. I fixed the link.
      Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RW James View Post
        You're right! Thanks for catching that. I fixed the link.
        Lol. No problem. I was under the impression you just bought the same board you lost. Looks like your new one is way better than the one you lost. Although I'm an Atheist, I'd say that church fire was a sign from God that you needed to improve your rig and set the church ablaze (through the arsonist of course) so you could get some insurance dough and see the greatness in people when in times of need.

Whether that's the case or not, this is very touching, very rad, and very under-posted. Where is everyone else? Vibrolux? ds1dj? Gr8Scott? JOLLY? ANYONE?
        "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

man this is the coolest thing i've heard in this board. it's amazing to know that there is still people out there that want to help a fellow axe-slinger in his hour of need. just a question, your guitar wasn't in the building right?
          Guitars:
          JT200c les paul copy( jazzn,59n b);
          MIM Fender Sunburst Strat.
          Gibson Lp Standard cherry burst.
          Traynor YCV-50 Blue

Life is too short for bad tone…

Comment

Originally posted by vladmarr View Post
            ... just a question, your guitar wasn't in the building right?
            No, I always made a point of taking my guitars home each day.

Part of the decision that went into getting the SKB pedal board was having the power supply an integrated part of the board. I can easily take that home as well.
            Rick

Comment

that's good, i'm not sure what i would do if my church went up in flames and my guitars were gone. i keep mine in my office, maybe i should bring them home, or insure them.
              Guitars:
              Traynor YCV-50 Blue

Comment

wow, it is awesome to see how people come together to help a bro out.

Im shure your happy with your NEW gear.

Blessings

Chris
                "Get a BIBLE: open it, read it, and believe it" - Me

Comment

Originally posted by vladmarr View Post
                  that's good, i'm not sure what i would do if my church went up in flames and my guitars were gone. i keep mine in my office, maybe i should bring them home, or insure them.
                  Do you work at the church? That is, are you on staff? If so, then you should be covered by the church's policy. One of the other musicians is on staff and he lost two guitars. But he bought a new Taylor with the insurance money.

In my case, since I'm not really on staff, just a volunteer musician, I used my homeowners policy. The church insurance covered my $1000 deductible.

Our drummer and keyboard player didn't have homeowners insurance, so the church insurance covered them completely. They both got some nice gear. The rest of the musicians took everything home.
                  Rick

Comment

That's a great rig and an even better testiment to some wonderful people here on the forum.
                    '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Comment

yes i am on staff. well i hope that the churches policy covers me, but even then i have a guitar that has a lot of sentimental attachment to me (first guitar i bought and modded with my own money) i bought it before i went to college. i've had it for almost 10 years now and it plays as nice as ever.
                      Guitars:
                      Traynor YCV-50 Blue

Comment

That's fantastic
                        I just checked the SKB today and was really impressed...
                        As i see you rock with a WD7 too...

Great to see you happy again!!!So you can rock with your son again..With full power!!!
                        Cheers for those who helped,and cheers for your post!!!
                        www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

Comment

Hey bud, I'm really glad it worked out! Looks loke you have a great rig again... and WOW, I'm really liking that pedal board. I've just broken my Boss BCB6 and need a new board... are those expensive? Anyway, I'm just glad you're sorted. All the best.

Comment

Originally posted by d1dsj View Post
                            Hey bud, I'm really glad it worked out! Looks loke you have a great rig again... and WOW, I'm really liking that pedal board. I've just broken my Boss BCB6 and need a new board... are those expensive? Anyway, I'm just glad you're sorted. All the best.
                            RW James -
                            Nice the way things have worked out. But about that pedal borad...... would you like to give us a review, critique, evaluation, opinion.
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY73mb28orM
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35mZ4BAvEbg
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nToonE52DG8
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMl-ddFbSF0

Comment

Dude! Rick, your new setup is killer my friend. I absolutely love it.

I hope you really get some good play time out of this fine setup.
                              I get weak in the knees at the sight of a vintage Fender amp!

Comment

Working...
                              X