Are you a Nut Nibbler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you a Nut Nibbler?

Dammit!!! I've been working on a nut, getting it cut and shaped, then it has a slight undertone on one string that causes it to have to be worked on further. If I go any deeper, the thing is ruined. I know it's all trial and error, but if I nibble any more on it, the slot will be too low!

How many nuts does a man have to nibble in his lifetime, before the art is mastered? ROFL
    Last edited by Gearjoneser; 08-20-2008, 11:14 AM.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Re: Are you a Nut Nibbler?

I think you're supposed to do them two at a time.

Comment

So, if you nibble away at the nut dead center, without biting too much at the sides, there won't be a chance of a sloppy slot?

Comment

put a straightedge in the nut slot & put it on the 3rd fret, this arch will be used as a measurement.

using feeler gauges, measure from the top of the 1st fret - I always work mine down to 0.015mm - unsure what that is in imperial but this is the lowest you can really go to safely imo.

use #1200 wet&dry & wet sand the slots, they'l be smooth that way - then use guitar polish/compound to polish the nut up. Finally adding some vaseline or something to lube them.

when carving the slot - angle your file at the same angle the string will go towards the tuner/string tree - i.e a slightly downward angle.

ideally use files with a bevelled/rounded bottom & use the correct sizes or you could easily have to make "corrections" that will just ruin it.
        Last edited by DazH; 08-20-2008, 02:31 AM.
        Originally posted by Empty Pockets
        I find it much easier to pay somebody else to nibble them rather than attempt to do it myself.

I mean I've got mad respect for those of you who can get into the positions required for such a task but I'm just not that flexible.

Comment

You're a sick man, joe.

Comment

I must admit I've never nibbled nuts myself but I've known a few pepole who do! If my action isn't up to par... then I like to get my nuts nibbled to restore full performance.

Comment

Originally posted by d1dsj View Post
              I like to get my nuts nibbled to restore full performance.
              rofl.
              Originally posted by Empty Pockets
              I find it much easier to pay somebody else to nibble them rather than attempt to do it myself.

I mean I've got mad respect for those of you who can get into the positions required for such a task but I'm just not that flexible.

Comment

green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Being as how a couple of people recently seem to have developed sudden deterioration of their eyesight and seem to think my name is 'Crusty Phallus', it is probably better for them that i not describe how i might nibble my nuts.

suffice to say, if you cut the slot too deep, build the bottom up with a few layers of superglue and then re-work the slot.
                  Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

I have the same problem, even with feeler gauges it can be tricky, so I'm getting one of these:

Cheers,

CJ
                    www.myspace.com/cjreaper

Comment

Joe, the superglue trick will work, but there is an even better way. Take an old nut and file on it until you have a small pile of the bone dust. Mix the bone dust with epoxy and fill in the bad nut slot as much as needed. Wait 24 hours and refile nutslot.
                      Originally posted by tone4days
                      we're not musicians, we're beer salesmen

Comment

Originally posted by bungalowbill View Post
                        Joe, the superglue trick will work, but there is an even better way. Take an old nut and file on it until you have a small pile of the bone dust. Mix the bone dust with epoxy and fill in the bad nut slot as much as needed. Wait 24 hours and refile nutslot.
                        +1. This would have been my serious asnswer had I not been in a silly mood! I've actually done this with superglue GEL too... works well enough for me.

Comment

+1. This would have been my serious asnswer had I not been in a silly mood! I've actually done this with superglue GEL too... works well enough for me.
                          Don't worry. I wasn't actually working on a nut. I just wanted to ask you guys if you were nut nibblers!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                            Don't worry. I wasn't actually working on a nut. I just wanted to ask you guys if you were nut nibblers!
                            No probs, you're a cool fella and all, and as much as I think that.... I ain't gonna nibble your nuts man!

Comment

No probs, you're a cool fella and all, and as much as I think that.... I ain't gonna nibble your nuts man!
                              You're off the hook. I've found all the nut nibblers I can handle right here!

Comment

Working...
                              X