80's death metal pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 80's death metal pickups?

Isn't the higher the DC the darker the pup?
    Last edited by Gplayerzzz; 12-03-2011, 02:35 PM. Reason: zhaggy answered that, my bad :)

Comment

Nope. 10K of 42 will be darker than 16K of 44 awg, and with the same magnet probably more powerful. Magnet strength has just as much if not more to do with the output of a pickup than the coils.

The Morse bridge model is one of the highest output pickups dimarzio makes, but the coils are close to a PGb. Big strong ceramic magnet.

Comment

Originally posted by King IzzO))) View Post
        Nope. 10K of 42 will be darker than 16K of 44 awg, and with the same magnet probably more powerful. Magnet strength has just as much if not more to do with the output of a pickup than the coils.

The Morse bridge model is one of the highest output pickups dimarzio makes, but the coils are close to a PGb. Big strong ceramic magnet.
        Speaking of which, I'd recommend the Steve Morse bridge model for death metal. I've got it in a basswood Strat and it's the deepest sounding (yet still clear and precise) pickup I own.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
        @ArizonaVoters

Comment

I would start with the Duncan Custom Sh-5 and if that's not doing it for you go for a magnet swap.
          Widow - "we have songs".
          Originally posted by Aceman
          Mega gain pup plus mega gain amp usually equals mega crap.

Comment

Originally posted by John E Rokker View Post
            I would start with the Duncan Custom TB-5 and if that's not doing it for you go for a magnet swap.
            Fixed the model number for you.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
            @ArizonaVoters

Comment

I'm just not even going to be polite about this.

Dude - you are fighting the good advice of many here.

Bottom line: If you can't do "death metal" with the Duncan Distortion, either you can't figure out how to set the knobs on the amp (and most here have no love for the Spider series) or you you just can't play it.

I'm not going to abuse the Spider - I'm SURE that is completely capable of sculpting a serious death/black/doom/necro/norse/whatever metal you want.

The DD should easily allow you to boost the bass to oblivion, and still keep it evil/sadistic/mean/nasty as you want to be.

#1 SERIOUSLY work on how to set the knobs
              #2 Wait for the new amp
              #3 Adjust the pup slightly

And if after all that - it still doesn't work for you, come back and ask again.

Regarding X2N - I have had one and love the DD. I think the X2N is hotter than the Distortion based on experiments through a Pro Jr. Maybe that's just me. They are both hot.

Also: These days - there is so much freaking gain in the amp, that MAY be your problem. You are caught in the Stupid Hot Pup Stupid Loop. I bet a Screamin' Demon would sound better than anything through the INSANE model on that Spider - and not with the gain cranked to 11 either....

Just saying, PAF Pro is NOT a mega gain pup. Mega gain pup plus mega gain amp usually equals mega crap.
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                HEHHEH! Love it! that's gonna be my new sig.
                Widow - "we have songs".
                Originally posted by Aceman

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post
                  Speaking of which, I'd recommend the Steve Morse bridge model for death metal. I've got it in a basswood Strat and it's the deepest sounding (yet still clear and precise) pickup I own.
                  Tell me about the EQ on it. Are they bright? Whats the mids/bass/treble like?

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post
                    Steve Morse Neck Model:

Wiring: 4 Conductor
                    Magnet: Ceramic
                    Output mV: 250
                    DC Resistance: 21.00 Kohm

Steve Morse Bridge Model:

Wiring: 4 Conductor
                    Magnet: Ceramic
                    Output mV: 450
                    DC Resistance: 9.94 Kohm

Care to guess which one is almost twice as hot?
                    The one that has the more powerful magnet as opposed to the air-bucker tech or weak magnet or both applied to the neck model.

I myself have a Custom with a double thick ceramic mag in the bridge of my main guitar and a JB in the neck with the half air mod. And they balance perfectly output wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Sodom616 View Post
                      I'm looking for something darker,bassier, and more "evil" than the DD but still retaining the clarity and tightness of the DD.
                      The only thing you need to do is raise the p'up closer to the lower strings until you get the "evilness" you need, then level it raising it closer to the higher strings side until it balances. Done!

And while you're at it, don't forget to get some thick strings so it doesn't flab out when downtuned. These are extremely good:

From guitar strings to drumheads, woodwind reeds to orchestral strings, find everything you need to enhance your sound on daddario.com. Shop now >

Easy Peasy! No need to change no p'up. The one you already have is capable to deliver what you want and then some.

HTH,
                      Last edited by LtKojak; 12-04-2011, 06:44 AM.

Comment

I've tried that already.It sounds muddier and extremely noisy makes leads impossible. But, I've found the sweet spot for the height, and it sounds amazing...I'll stick with the DD until i get my new amp.

Comment

Originally posted by Sodom616 View Post
                          But, I've found the sweet spot for the height, and it sounds amazing...I'll stick with the DD until i get my new amp.
                          That's more like it!

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
                            The only thing you need to do is raise the p'up closer to the lower strings until you get the "evilness" you need, then level it raising it closer to the higher strings side until it balances. Done!

And while you're at it, don't forget to get some thick strings so it doesn't flab out when downtuned. These are extremely good:

From guitar strings to drumheads, woodwind reeds to orchestral strings, find everything you need to enhance your sound on daddario.com. Shop now >

Easy Peasy! No need to change no p'up. The one you already have is capable to deliver what you want and then some.

HTH,
                            Thank you for that excellent treatise on my item #3

Comment

Originally posted by John E Rokker View Post
                              HEHHEH! Love it! that's gonna be my new sig.
                              Thank you sir. Only took me until I was 35 or so to figure that out...

I LIKE mega ceramic pups for the tone, the eq curves, and responsiveness.

And I have been turing down the gain and they sound FANTASTIC!

Comment

Originally Posted by LtKojak View Post

HTH,
                                I live in dubai.....all they sell here are crappy 9-10gauges. 10gauges on standard tune is to thin for me, i prefer playing with 11's on standard (I was lucky and found 1 set). Damn this country.....

Comment

Working...
                                X