My quest for tone is over. Or is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My quest for tone is over. Or is it?

All my guitars are right now in the best tonal condition they've ever been.

I can find absolutely no faults or criticisms about any of them. They all sound exactly how I want them to sound and I'm VERY pleased with those sounds.

Which leaves me with a couple of questions:

1) Should I bother buying any more pickups, just to experiment with?
    2) If I do buy another pickup, wtf am I supposed to do with it? I'm really hesitant to change out the pickups in any of my guitars because they all sound so good, I have no real incentive aside from morbid curiosity.

Up until about last week or so, I was thinking about ditching the Custom Custom in my hardtail strat and getting a sorta medium output pickup like a Screamin demon or a '59/C hybrid. But then I changed out the A2 magnet to a RCA3, and I couldn't be happier. It solved the tonal issues I was having, and it dropped the output a bit so that it responds a bit closer to what I wanted.

So now I have no need to try anything else. There are still so many pickups I haven't got any experience with though:
    Screamin Demon
    PG set
    A2 Pros
    Seths
    '59/C
    WLH
    Black Winter
    Any of the actives
    Alt 8
    Dimebucker
    Parallel Axis anything
    Stag Mag
    P-rails
    ...nevermind all the custom shop models.

If I'm happy with my tone then is there even any point to getting anything else?

Re: My quest for tone is over. Or is it?

I hit your spot about 5 years ago. I was happy with everything that I have. In reality was a great relief to not feel that something was missing. Now I mess with stuff just for the giggles but dont get worked up about it. You can always try to second guess it but if your happy everything is gravy cause if something new doesnt work you just go back to what you know is good.
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

I say call it good, tweaking is a disease.

Comment

What this means is that your taste in music is about to change .... leading to .... guess what ?
        Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Country & Western?
          Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Originally posted by crusty philtrum View Post
            What this means is that your taste in music is about to change .... leading to .... guess what ?
            uh....elephant mating calls?

Originally posted by Chris of Arabia View Post
            Country & Western?
            I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
              I hit your spot about 5 years ago. I was happy with everything that I have. In reality was a great relief to not feel that something was missing. Now I mess with stuff just for the giggles but dont get worked up about it. You can always try to second guess it but if your happy everything is gravy cause if something new doesnt work you just go back to what you know is good.
              But see that's the thing, I don't want to put anything else in, even though I do want to know what all these other pickups sound/feel like. And at this point, acquiring another guitar to use as testbed for pickups just seems like a colossal waste of money.

Originally posted by King IzzO))) View Post
              I say call it good, tweaking is a disease.
              Indeed it is. I know that disease all too well.

Comment

Originally posted by CTN View Post
                I do want to know what all these other pickups sound/feel like. And at this point, acquiring another guitar to use as testbed for pickups just seems like a colossal waste of money.
                That's what I've been doing with my $75 Eclipse for the last few years.

Comment

I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
                  Sig'd.
                  My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Originally posted by kevlar3000
                  The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
                  Originally posted by CTN
                  FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Comment

But see that's the thing, I don't want to put anything else in, even though I do want to know what all these other pickups sound/feel like. And at this point, acquiring another guitar to use as testbed for pickups just seems like a colossal waste of money.
                    I gotcha and i largely feel the same way. But once in awhile for giggles Ill pick something up just to mess with usually something I know I can flip so I dont feel bad about the money.

Its a nice place to be in though to not "need" to chase it.
                    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Many good points here. Tweaking IS a disease.. Im terribly afflicted and have been working very hard to self cure. (doing very well I might add) If I had spent the time playing that Ive spent pup swapping and all, Id be alot better along. But, I do have a couple of valid excuses there, but...
                      Anyhow, If all is well, play em and leave em be. If you continue looking or trying, you'll second guess yourself. If and only if, you KNOW something may work better for you, dont be closed to the change, but dont go lookin for trouble.. haha
                      I continually second guess, but I know have everything dialed in but one, and Im thrilled about that. Cant wait to get the last one dialed in!
                      Congrats!
                      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Is your quest of testing new amps and pedals over?
                        -IM

Comment

Must be nice...

I've got more guitars that don't work than do...
                          "Scalloped & Stickered"
                          A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

Read my EVH quote. If you're happy with your tone...

I think you know what must be done.

Or you know, buy a cheapy that doesn't cost much but serves as a guinea pig and continue having fun! I like option 2!
                            MEMBER OF THE SACRED ORDER OF THE STONECUTTERS

Comment

Originally posted by ExplorersRock View Post
                              Read my EVH quote. If you're happy with your tone...

I think you know what must be done.

Or you know, buy a cheapy that doesn't cost much but serves as a guinea pig and continue having fun! I like option 2!
                              Agree..........and buy the Liberator if you don't already have so you can change in and out even easier. If/when you select your preferred guinea pig, what will it be? Strat model......Les Paul......other? If the pickups sound good in a guitar costing $500 or less.....they'll sound great in most others I bet. Next step for great rock players is usually jazz.

Comment

Working...
                              X