banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Incoming New Pickup Day (Fishman Fluence)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Incoming New Pickup Day (Fishman Fluence)

Originally posted by DreX View Post
    Sorry that was directed towards Securb.
    I think I am just going to ignore you for the rest of this and every thread. You just don't get it. I don't want to argue with you for the sake of arguing. Don't think you have worn me down, this conversation has simply gotten to the point where it bears noting to offer the forum. I simply have no desire to interact with you. If anyone else has any questions about my experience playing these pickups feel free to ask. If I don't know the answer I will call one of my friends at Fishman.

As for you DreX I have asked you in the past not to PM me. New I am requesting you refrain from directing questions at me. Especially if you are not looking for answer but are only trying to bait me into childish internet sparring. I have no time or desire for these types of interactions.

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post
      The Fuse software is used to interact with their *digital* amp / floorboard. If you're going to be tweaking a pickup in the same manner, the pickup will have to be digital. If you're changing analog signal paths, you're adding complexity to the pickup itself. Peavey did that once with an amplifier:

Even with current technology, you're not going to fit that in a package as small as a pickup.
      I already quoted the marketing material where they say the Fluence puts out a flat signal that's ideal for shaping, so this sort of tweaking is the essence of what the product is. The pickups itself puts out a flat signal, I imagine it's low inductance / high peak resonance, and the voicing occurs in the form of EQ shaping in the circuitry.

The fact that it might add complexity to have more than two voicings, or allow for external manipulation of voices, isn't a show stopper in itself, unless Frank says directly "that would have made the unit cost too high", because lots of things are complex this day in age. Complexity is a given.

Suffice it to say, if they can fit two voicings, they can fit three, and probably more.

All I've been saying is that what you're proposing is different from what they designed. I still think you're having trouble understanding what's inside that pickup.
      I think it's the other way around, I can't, for the life of me, understand why you'd defend two voicings on a platform designed to allow for customized response patterns. http://www.premierguitar.com/article...-pickup?page=2 read the section "From Flat to Flavorful": "Simply positioning magnets in the center of those printed circuit racetracks yields a perfectly flat-sounding pickup. That’s not a tone most players seek, but it’s a perfect platform for replicating the character of different pickups."

Comment

Even with current technology, you're not going to fit that in a package as small as a pickup.
        Exactly! From Fishman.

The voices are not digital, but made possible via analog filter circuits. There is one filter per voice. In a digital system, there would be endless voicing possibilities, but in analog, you are limited to the amount of physical space allotted by the PCB.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
          I think I am just going to ignore you for the rest of this and every thread. You just don't get it. I don't want to argue with you for the sake of arguing. Don't think you have worn me down, this conversation has simply gotten to the point where it bears noting to offer the forum. I simply have no desire to interact with you. If anyone else has any questions about my experience playing these pickups feel free to ask. If I don't know the answer I will call one of my friends at Fishman.

As for you DreX I have asked you in the past not to PM me. New I am requesting you refrain from directing questions at me. Especially if you are not looking for answer but are only trying to bait me into childish internet sparring. I have no time or desire for these types of interactions.
          That's fine, but to be clear, since you're trying to drop this at my feet, you had responded to me initially.

Comment

I think this sums it up quite nicely, and bring some much needed laughter to this thread, before boundaries of forum rules get tested.

Any time something amazing comes out, there will be people who can think of ways it would be "amazing-er" for them. That's their right. DreX, if there are things you're certain you would have done better, my sincere advice to you would be to start a company and do it. You can't use this technology, it's patented. But who knows? Maybe you'll be the guy who comes up with the next big thing.

Every company is entitled to trade secrets. You can ask me, or others here for answers as to how much power and control can fit into a pickup-sized box, but there's a limit to what I will say in order to convince you how great I think these are. If I tell you about clarity and your response is "that's what everyone says" then the discussion is fruitless unless or until you buy a set or try them in a new Gibson or have some kind of interaction with them.

What's been accomplished in this little pickup-sized box is already leaps and bounds ahead of anything that I've seen or played in my lifetime. Those who know me, my history, and my track record of speaking with integrity about projects I'm involved in know that should carry a lot of weight. If its meaningless to you, that's okay. I think where people take offense is when you're very vocal and passionate about things you haven't touched, played, etc. including how you would theoretically have changed them or done things differently, even though you've never been a part of any of the associated product development teams. I'm thick skinned. I can take it. I'm just offering advice on how people might receive the things you're saying, given the circumstances; why sometimes you're met with hostility. There is lots of talk about making this forum a less combative, more pleasant place to be right now. It's up to all of us.

Comment

Much appreciated post, Frank...thank you!

Comment

So I guess I'm the only one who'd be happy with these because they look really good? I'm absolutely sure they sound great...and it's been proven with vids and reviews, and they apparently are an incredibly agile and lightweight (signalwise) pickup that can trump many another pickup in or under their price point.

Look at em..
                Click image for larger version

Name:	singlecoil-humbucker_WEB.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	5780781
                That's swank.

The Lace Alumitones have that low-power thing going for them and a very different look, but I think they underdid it in the sound and overdid it on the looks. Personally, these look like an upgraded pickup in every way AND the very much ARE upgraded sounding.
                Originally posted by Funkfingers
                Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

Originally posted by frankfalbo View Post
                  Any time something amazing comes out, there will be people who can think of ways it would be "amazing-er" for them. That's their right. DreX, if there are things you're certain you would have done better, my sincere advice to you would be to start a company and do it. You can't use this technology, it's patented. But who knows? Maybe you'll be the guy who comes up with the next big thing.

What's been accomplished in this little pickup-sized box is already leaps and bounds ahead of anything that I've seen or played in my lifetime. Those who know me, my history, and my track record of speaking with integrity about projects I'm involved in know that should carry a lot of weight. If its meaningless to you, that's okay. I think where people take offense is when you're very vocal and passionate about things you haven't touched, played, etc. including how you would theoretically have changed them or done things differently, even though you've never been a part of any of the associated product development teams. I'm thick skinned. I can take it. I'm just offering advice on how people might receive the things you're saying, given the circumstances; why sometimes you're met with hostility. There is lots of talk about making this forum a less combative, more pleasant place to be right now. It's up to all of us.

My comments here merely began with me asking why there are only two voicings. There's nothing wrong with wanting more of something. Then a handful of commentors show up to tell me that I should not want more, and to be happy with the status quo. The only reason anyone describes me as combative is because I don't agree with them and allow them have the last word. Well... too bad. I stay on topic, use no ad hominems and do my best to make sure my statements follow logically.

If we were all happy with the status quo, Fishman Fluences wouldn't have been invented in the first place. It's only because I think the concept is so cool that I opine about it. My critique strictly relates to the execution of the first version of the product.

Originally posted by frankfalbo View Post
                  If I tell you about clarity and your response is "that's what everyone says" then the discussion is fruitless unless or until you buy a set or try them in a new Gibson or have some kind of interaction with them.

I actually saw a good, reasonable explanation as to the sound difference between actives and passives here http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/th...ssive-pickups/

Increasing the number of winds on a passive pickup can increase the output, but as more turns of wire are wound around the bobbin, you lose brightness while you gain lows and mids. Too many turns and you have a very powerful, very muddy sounding pickup.
                  [but with active pickups] You don’t have the trade off of more power=darker sound that passives do. You can have a clean and clear single coil sized pickup that is anything but weak
                  If this is the same reason the Fishman Fluence achieves a distinct "clear and present articulation" over passives, it would be worth mentioning this to substantiate these adjectives, relative to all the passive pickups out there that claim to have "clear and present articulation". Then again it might contradict the marketing copy that tells us they sound like ordinary, traditional pickups, so it's a rock and hard place.
                  Last edited by DreX; 09-08-2014, 01:39 PM. Reason: wrong quote

Comment

Drex just stop typing and buy a set already.
                    Originally posted by KBliss
                    WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
                    Originally posted by trevorus
                    The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

I actually saw a good, reasonable explanation as to the sound difference between actives and passives here http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/th...ssive-pickups/

"Increasing the number of winds on a passive pickup can increase the output, but as more turns of wire are wound around the bobbin, you lose brightness while you gain lows and mids. Too many turns and you have a very powerful, very muddy sounding pickup...[but with active pickups] You don’t have the trade off of more power=darker sound that passives do."

If this is the same reason the Fishman Fluence achieves a distinct "clear and present articulation" over passives, it would be worth mentioning this to substantiate these adjectives, relative to all the passive pickups out there that claim to have "clear and present articulation". Then again it might contradict the marketing copy that tells us they sound like ordinary, traditional pickups, so it's a rock and hard place.
                      Hey I'm really glad you brought that up. It's a great article but has almost nothing to do with Fluence. The patented coils are every bit as much a part of the magic as to why they behave the way they do. Each coil layer is linear-one on top of the other. That means unlike a typical coil, the "winding" or signal path isn't going up and down, close to the strings, further from the strings, etc. A typical electric guitar coil has a good bulk of it's wire very far away from the strings. This generates a lot of phase incoherence, resulting in a lot of smearing across the various frequency ranges. It's the reason most coils, even if you could EQ them to go from sound A to sound B, can't really deliver the same experience as pickup B because there are physical limitations.

The Fluence coil isn't so much about producing a sound that is flat, as it is a sound that is pure. Dynamically, it's more alive than anything else I've played, even Zephyrs. All of the frequencies are there, more importantly they're much more time aligned. Phase anomalies are no longer a limiting factor in the voicing. The magnetic circuit design can still impart phase anomalies via scattered and conflicting flux patterns, but that's 100% intentional. That's more about the feel differences between a PAF and an EMG with blades for example.

Nothing about Fluence's clarity and detail is based upon the old notion that you can use a weaker coil and boost it with a preamp. It's an inherent part of the coil's ability to listen to what the string is doing. It's like suggesting that you could take a microphone that is 10 feet away from an acoustic guitar, and EQ it to sound like it was 8 inches away. It's like saying you could poorly place an SM57 toward your cabinet and EQ it to sound like it was placed correctly. You can't restore phase issues with EQ. One way I could describe the Fluence coils would be "in focus". Even under tremendous amounts of gain it's totally apparent in an A/B comparison. And when people describe it as "fast" it's literally because you're shaving response time off. It's something you can feel the moment you plug in.

As for the contradictory marketing copy, I think it only seems contradictory because we're stuck with the baggage of the past. For example, suppose Apple said "The iPhone is intuitive and easy to use" it's true that every phone, Blackberry or Palm preceding the launch of the iPhone probably said the same thing. But if you are like the millions of people who found that new format to be more intuitive than your Blackberry, the marketing made sense once you had an iPhone in your hand. In time, more people will try and buy Fluence pickups. What we're saying in the marketing language, which may seem like what other people say about their pickups too, will become understood. Securb has played them and is trying to communicate what everyone who has played them has felt; that "a-ha" moment where they get it. Maybe you'll have your moment.

It's only because I think the concept is so cool that I opine about it.
                      Thanks man, I agree. It's easy to want more than what's in front of you, and you're correct it's that kind of innovation and tenacity that led to Fluence becoming a reality. This is only the beginning...

Comment

I'd like to own a guitar I felt worthy of putting these in. If I manage to wrangle a Paul Reed Smith someday...
                        Originally posted by Funkfingers
                        Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

I'm REALLY stoked about these from what you just said Frank Falbo. Is their anyway I might be able to get my hands on a set of the buckers? About how much are we (consumer) looking at for a set?
                          Originally posted by KBliss
                          WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
                          Originally posted by trevorus
                          The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

My comments here merely began with me asking why there are only two voicings. There's nothing wrong with wanting more of something. Then a handful of commentors show up to tell me that I should not want more, and to be happy with the status quo.
                            I'm only speaking for myself here, but I merely asked a question. You answered. You can want anything at all, but here's how it looked to me:

You: "It only has two voicings? Well if the regular pickups only have one, two isn't enough, why not [insert number] more?! What a ripoff!"

Now before you come at me saying, "I didn't say that!" you are correct. You didn't say that. But it sure seemed like you were, because it seemed like you were putting down a brand new product before you have any direct experience with it. If it's because you want more out of a pickup that's battery powered (which I'm pretty sure you said you did) fine. But the product seems to be offering more than most battery powered pickups.

I just don't understand the negative attitude towards them is all. And like you, I am entitled to think the way I do and my post wasn't disrespectful or rude. I'm not being that way now. I just don't understand your logic unless it's your goal to find a reason to dislike these pickups before you even try them. I HATE battery powered pickups. But I'm curious. I heard the humbucker set last year at NAMM and they sounded pretty good. I'm willing to give the product a chance to impress me.

The only reason anyone describes me as combative is because I don't agree with them and allow them have the last word. Well... too bad.
                            Well, if you never let anyone else have the last word, that means you insist on having it. By the very definition of combative, THAT IS COMBATIVE. Besides, best way to not get into an argument with them is to ignore them. Otherwise you're just as bad as they are and contributing to the flame war. If you want to claim you aren't as bad as your detractors, then don't argue back.

I'm not being a jerk here, I'm actually trying to give some friendly advice. When people want to pick a fight on the forum with me, I typically ignore them because I have better things to do. Save your energy for better things. It works for me.
                            Last edited by ExplorersRock; 09-08-2014, 06:32 PM.
                            MEMBER OF THE SACRED ORDER OF THE STONECUTTERS

Comment

Originally posted by Rockstar216 View Post
                              I'm REALLY stoked about these from what you just said Frank Falbo. Is their anyway I might be able to get my hands on a set of the buckers? About how much are we (consumer) looking at for a set?
                              Musician's Friend has them on pre-order for $240-$260 for the modern set and $250-$260 for the classic set. (Price depends on color.)

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
                              @ArizonaVoters

Comment

I don't understand why you guys cannot accept that DreX is asking valid, intelligent questions. Clearly he should have been included on the design team for these pickups. Now that Frank has had the opportunity to experience his superior intellect, maybe he'll remember to hire DreX for the next project. Just think of how awesome the outcome would be!
                                Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                                https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                                Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Working...
                                X