Singing and playing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Singing and playing

My band recently lost its singer, so the other guitarist and I decided to split vocals. He is taking most of them, but I still ended up with a song. I've never tried to sing and play at the same time. Any tips on how to play complex riffs and sing at the same time?
    Epiphone Explorer w/ SD Distortions
    Charvel Desolation Soloist w/ EMG 81/85
    Squier Standard HH Strat

Re: Singing and playing

Practice...

Sorry.
    "Scalloped & Stickered"
    A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

Practice, practice, practice.

One thing I do...when I think I have the song down, I will practice in front of the TV with the sound at a moderate level. It helps menwork on my concentration and ignoring aural visual distractions.

Bill
      When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Rand-O-Monium View Post
        Practice...

Sorry.
        +1

Practice a lot. Fortunately it gets easier the more you're used to doing it.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by Rand-O-Monium View Post
          Practice...

Sorry.
          +1
          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I think its an art. I have good voice IMHO but cannot sing when playing.

Comment

Yup, Practice.

I found the more I did it, the more I could 'separate' the two in my head. Certainly helps when you have the guitar part down its practically on autopilot.
              TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
                Yup, Practice.

I found the more I did it, the more I could 'separate' the two in my head. Certainly helps when you have the guitar part down its practically on autopilot.
                Either this or the other way around. I started as a singer before I ever started playing guitar so learning lyrics and the vocal melody is a second nature. Once I have the song down vocal-wise, integrating guitar is easy, provided I don't have anytyhing too fancy to play (complex chord progressions are fine and simple leads too but I can't solo or do complicated leads while I sing, at least not that well).

Remember that if you can't sing the song correctly without playing guitar, there's no way you'll do a good job once you have a guitar in your hands. The opposite is of course true as well.

In the end, it comes down to what has been said: practice. When you get comfortable doing both well individually, combining them will require a bit of practice and you'll be good to go.

Comment

As BB King said, I have "stupid fingers" and I cant sing worth a hoot anyway.
                  My playing is bad enough, I couldn't, in good conscience, subject anyone to my voice as well

Comment

Practice SLOWLY. Everything you know...you don't know anymore because you have to sing too.

Learn the words. You already know the riffs. NOW....play the riffs and sing....slowly. Then speed up.

It's like learning your first scales again. You won't hit the right notes all the time but slow down and get it right.

Also...if you have finished recordings of your bands songs, play them and play along. Do your own private guitar karaoke thing.

It'll happen.
                    For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

You know practice will help for sure. Get each part down individually as well as together.

Break it up in pieces too. Sometimes I have to simplify a part to get the whole thing to work.

Oh yeah practice with a metronome or something to keep time while you're working on it. Do not just play it along to the backing track. Make sure you record yourself so your can listen back to what you need to change.
                      My Bands -
                      https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                      www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                      www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                      GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by probo_squad_henry View Post
                        My band recently lost its singer, so the other guitarist and I decided to split vocals. He is taking most of them, but I still ended up with a song. I've never tried to sing and play at the same time. Any tips on how to play complex riffs and sing at the same time?
                        You have to get the guitar playing down to muscle memory. The problem is going to be that if you use the "music" part of your brain both to focus on the notes you're playing and the ones you're singing, you'll end up singing your guitar note or playing your vocal part, because you'll be trying to split your focus between two notes, like patting your head and rubbing your stomach only even more closely related. To overcome this, you have to relegate the guitar playing to an area of your brain that isn't music related, and that usually means practicing it until your fingers can't play it wrong, then layering the singing over your playing.

Usually, whoever is singing and playing guitar will be doing more chord work and less melody work on the instrument, because chords, by their very nature, are something you commit to muscle memory and don't think too much about in terms of the individual notes, while playing a melodic line introduces the competing single notes. I won't go far as to use the R-word or the L-word, suffice to say that if you look at guitarists who sing, those who do both at once tend to play chords, while those who sing and play melodic lines usually switch between one and the other during the song; there are both artistic and practical considerations behind these decisions. I have the utmost respect for singers who also play bass, because they don't get either luxury; they have to lay down an often-complex bassline while singing something else, and they can't let either one drop in favor of the other.
                        Last edited by Liko; 02-03-2016, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Surgeon View Post
                          Either this or the other way around. I started as a singer before I ever started playing guitar so learning lyrics and the vocal melody is a second nature. Once I have the song down vocal-wise, integrating guitar is easy, provided I don't have anytyhing too fancy to play (complex chord progressions are fine and simple leads too but I can't solo or do complicated leads while I sing, at least not that well).

Remember that if you can't sing the song correctly without playing guitar, there's no way you'll do a good job once you have a guitar in your hands. The opposite is of course true as well.

In the end, it comes down to what has been said: practice. When you get comfortable doing both well individually, combining them will require a bit of practice and you'll be good to go.
                          I've sung much longer than I've played any instrument, and I find the opposite to be true; even with my vocal skill and talent, I find it pretty much impossible to focus on the guitar and just let the singing happen. I end up out of tune, missing lyrics, eventually just humming along with the guitar playing. Much easier IME to let my fingers do what they do and concentrate on a good vocal performance.

Comment

I've tried getting the vocals down pat before attempting lead type guitar lines and had little success. It also didn't work for me the other way. Either way the guitar and vocals both suffer at least a little.

It seems the only way I am able to do it is by breaking both parts down. Then I analyze and build them to fit together mechanically for lack of a better term. Which syllable and pitch am I on vocally when I down pic on what note, and does the guitar part sustain (or rest) during this or that vocal part. I have to construct each part on a time line ... in a sense like it would occur in musical notation ... not on paper but in my little brain. Then I can see how and where the two "tasks" intersect. Once I understand the way they mesh the practice is more effective. It still takes practice, but the practice is productive rather than frustrating. I can learn very quickly this way, but still don't claim the ability to do anything very complex.
                            I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

And, any time you get hung up with your vocals, scream YA UH! OOOOOOOO... Works for Het...
                              Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                              X