Prodigal Guitarist - Ibanez AS73

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prodigal Guitarist - Ibanez AS73

After a 32 year layoff, I randomly decided to pick up guitar again. Honestly it's been gnawing at me for years and it was finally my son's piano lessons that pushed me over the edge.

So I picked up an Ibanez AS73 - their ES335 knockoff if you aren't familiar with their model designations.
    32 years ago Ibanez was very decent guitar at a value price and that much apparently hasn't changed. It is certainly a better instrument than I am a player.

Given all my years of rust and general cluelessness, I should probably just leave it alone and play the dang thing, but I'm tempted to replace the bridge pickup. I do not like a thin, tinny-sounding bridge pickup. The Ibanez is not a real offender in this regard, but I do somewhat prefer what I hear from some of the Seymour Duncan sound samples - particularly the 59/custom, the Seth Lover, and the Saturday night special.

Would any of those choices be a particularly good or bad idea?
    Would I run into something undesirable by replacing only the bridge pickup?
    I haven't heard of anyone using a tapped pickup to get a single coil sound on a semihollow - is that a viable option?
    Also I keep hearing about people replacing all the pots in their Ibanez semihollows - is that something I should consider? If so, replace them with what?

Re: Prodigal Guitarist - Ibanez AS73

I have a blonde AS 73 with Antiquities.... LOVE IT! You needn't spring for the expensive ones like mine. I'm sure a set of PAF's would be great.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
      I'm sure a set of PAF's would be great.
      I was very tempted by the blonde ones... But found a b-stock deal on transparent cherry red, also a favorite color of mine, so red won the day.

OK, oldster-newbie question here, define PAF. I think I've seen that in the descriptions of some/all the pickups I mentioned above? And you say "set" as in - don't replace just the bridge pickup?

Comment

I have an '05 Ibanez AS83 and felt the same way about the stock pickups (ACH1 & 2, right?) Not horrible but not very exciting either.

Any of the pups you asked about would (in my opinion) be good choices. I went with P-Rails in mine and it made all the difference in the world.

As for your question about just changing the bridge pickup out, I'd say no problem if you like the existing neck pup (I remember liking the neck better than the bridge before I swapped). Remember... the only ears that have to be satisfied are YOURS.

Also, absolutely you can split them... it's a great way to expand your palette of sounds.
        Originally posted by The Commodores?
        "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

Originally posted by BriGuy1968 View Post
          I have an '05 Ibanez AS83 . . .
          Sweet axe!

Originally posted by BriGuy1968
          As for your question about just changing the bridge pickup out, I'd say no problem if you like the existing neck pup (I remember liking the neck better than the bridge before I swapped). Remember... the only ears that have to be satisfied are YOURS.
          I agree completely, but . . . just remember that it's a total PITA to work on an f-hole guitar. You may want to consider changing both pups at once, and be done with it. However, like Bri said, play it awhile and make sure you're totally satisfied with the neck before you decide.

Originally posted by BriGuy1968
          Also, absolutely you can split them... it's a great way to expand your palette of sounds.
          As above, PITA to add switches or push-pulls to an f-hole. Just an FYI.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
            I agree completely, but . . . just remember that it's a total PITA to work on an f-hole guitar. You may want to consider changing both pups at once, and be done with it. However, like Bri said, play it awhile and make sure you're totally satisfied with the neck before you decide.

As above, PITA to add switches or push-pulls to an f-hole. Just an FYI.
            True dat!

Going through the f-holes isn't something you want to go back and do over and over again!
            Originally posted by The Commodores?
            "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

Those are great guitars, and any of your 3 choices would be really great. The 59/Custom would sound slightly more modern. The Seth is 2 conductor normally, so it can't be split, (I don't think you mean tapped), but the Seth pickup is a thing of beauty in a semi hollow. Pick the EQ and output level you want, and go for it. Whatever you choose here would be a vast improvement over the stock pickups.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by alathIN View Post
                After a 32 year layoff, I randomly decided to pick up guitar again. Honestly it's been gnawing at me for years and it was finally my son's piano lessons that pushed me over the edge.

So I picked up an Ibanez AS73 - their ES335 knockoff if you aren't familiar with their model designations.
                32 years ago Ibanez was very decent guitar at a value price and that much apparently hasn't changed. It is certainly a better instrument than I am a player.

Given all my years of rust and general cluelessness, I should probably just leave it alone and play the dang thing, but I'm tempted to replace the bridge pickup. I do not like a thin, tinny-sounding bridge pickup. The Ibanez is not a real offender in this regard, but I do somewhat prefer what I hear from some of the Seymour Duncan sound samples - particularly the 59/custom, the Seth Lover, and the Saturday night special.

Would any of those choices be a particularly good or bad idea?
                Would I run into something undesirable by replacing only the bridge pickup?
                I haven't heard of anyone using a tapped pickup to get a single coil sound on a semihollow - is that a viable option?
                Also I keep hearing about people replacing all the pots in their Ibanez semihollows - is that something I should consider? If so, replace them with what?
                I've recently worked on a AS73.

The original bridge pickup in it was rather hot, in the SH4 / JB range. A regular P.A.F. replica might appear as thin sounding compared to it.

The neck pickup was a potted 8k thing with a ceramic mag. I'd replace it as well. If you keep it, it might be interesting to get rid of the chrome cover, which dampens the tone exactly like a tone pot permanently rolled down. Once this (extremely bad) stock cover pulled off (or at least swapped for a good one), the pickup cleaned of its wax and possiby its magnet changed for an alnico bar, it should sound decent.

Tapped pickups in a hollow body... You mean splitted pickups? Splitting might be interesting if the humbucker used is beefy enough (like the P-Rail evoked above). If it's a standard P.A.F. clone, it might sound thin.

About the pots... I don't remember my measurements but the stock controls were useable and have been kept. The only thing that I've modified is how the tone pot were wired (I've converted it to "50's wiring").

Oh, and... working on it wasn't too difficult. Three sets of pickups have been tried with different magnets in order to please the owner and it didn't take much time once the F holes and my fingers accustomed to each others. :-)

Good luck in your quest!
                Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

P-rails with triple shot rings wouldn't be to difficult to install. I've done it on the AS73 I used to have.

Comment

Thanks for all the input!

I do like the sound sample on those P rails, and from a pure vanity standpoint, they give your guitar a cool quirky vintage-y look.

Wayback 32 years ago I had a Les Paul with a JB pup in the bridge position. I never guessed a semi-hollow would have come with a pick up that hot. But it's good to know where I'm starting from, and the fact apparently I can get away with hot pickups and a semi-hollow without putting myself in feedback purgatory.

Thanks again, awesome info.

Comment

Working...
                    X