Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 12-56 Strings in Standard E tuning?

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
    If tuning all over the place with a single set of strings was gonna cause problems, people who dive bomb with Floyds would have necks exploding constantly.
    People who have Floyd’s would never tune their guitar up and down with these drastic changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I use a set like that on all of my acoustic guitars. And a set like that on my slide guitars: one a Tele and the other a Strat.

In the 40's, 50's and 60's, before white people were playing the blues and bending strings, sets like that were the NORM.

Often they were flatwound too!
      “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

I prefer 0,11-49's on my Epiphone Wildkat. 009's on strat's I've had.

The 0,11's makes the guitars sound thicker, heavier, but still able to bend.
        If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by OKC View Post
          People who have Floyd’s would never tune their guitar up and down with these drastic changes
          I was referring to removing all the tension and immediately putting it back, which is what happens when you divebomb a trem.
          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
            I was referring to removing all the tension and immediately putting it back, which is what happens when you divebomb a trem.
            Like taking all the strings off and cleaning the fretboard?

Comment

Originally posted by OKC View Post
              Like taking all the strings off and cleaning the fretboard?

If you can take the strings off, clean the fretboard, and then tune back up in the time it takes to divebomb . . . my hat's off to you sir!

:P
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                If you can take the strings off, clean the fretboard, and then tune back up in the time it takes to divebomb . . . my hat's off to you sir!

:P

Could you imagine the set-up on a guitar like OP posted? I just had my guitar plek’d and I’m still thinking there is room for improvement. I can’t remember exactly but the truss rod adjustment is like 1/4 of a turn every 24 hours isn’t it? It sounds like a recipe for a guitar that isn’t going to be good in any tuning.

Comment

Just get a second budget guitar for E standard. Crazy to go from C to E and back again.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
                    It won’t hurt the guitar neck. Necks have a truss rod to counter the strings’ tension.
                    I'm not saying you can't do it. The neck and truss can almost certainly be adjusted to whatever gauge/tuning you like.

What I'm saying is that it is a) Not gonna sound right if you just change the tuning from C# to E to D to Db.
                    - Intonation will be all over the place
                    - So will the action

And, if you want it "Set up" in between songs, you might be doing that day to day, or week to week.
                    - Adjusting the truss and intonation will be a huge PITA that often

And - forgot this one but true: Jacking the tension around that much that often CAN (I didn't say would) ruin the neck
                    - Possibility of excessive warping, lose / raised frets, etc. or worse eventually
                    - Depends on the guitar and the neck and the truss. Cheap guitar...maybe not so good.
                    - I have seen a neck blow from a dive bomb whammy guy before! Cheap neck/rod? Probably...
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

If your neck explodes from whammy use, you can safely walk away from the gig as a living legend.
                      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

If your neck explodes from whammy use, you can safely walk away from the gig as a living legend.
                        the other guitarist aint gonna let you use his backup guitar
                        EHD
                        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

IEN; improvised exploding neck.
                          [emoji44]

Comment

Comment

For me, it depends on the guitar. I wouldn't dream of an electric with 12s, but on acoustics, they're just right.

I like 10s on my Tele, McCarty, and Ibanez, but 9s on my Strat.

Comment

I remember years back, playing my buddies strat that had a set of 13's on it.
                                It was like trying to play an egg slicer.
                                Until I got used to it.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X