Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is a PAF pickup?

Blah blah blah

Cutting to the chase... A PAF IS AN 8k TWO-WIRE (hot & ground) PICKUP WITH ALNICO MAG AND DUAL COILS WIRED FOR HUM CANCELLING.

A "real/original" PAF comes from late 50's Gibsons only, because that is where the original humbucker was from. Popular or famously close in tone pickups may be known as "Someone's PAFs" (insert brand or winder name). Also. DiMarzio holds a trademark to officially call their own replica the "DiMarzio PAF", while the others are either from prior eras, actually carry similar Patent Applied For stickers (cant trademark that, lol), or are simply popularly known as PAFs on account of being made to that spec.
    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post

Cutting to the chase... A PAF IS AN 8k TWO-WIRE (hot & ground) PICKUP WITH ALNICO MAG AND DUAL COILS WIRED FOR HUM CANCELLING. .
      Not quite. The resistance on PAF's was pretty wide over the original years, and the range included much higher and lower than 8K.
      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

correct me if I'm wrong but weren't the original patent for
        a tailpiece or something like that?

Comment

DiMarzio's trademark is for "PAF" without periods. If one refers to the pickup as "P.A.F." that is not infringing on DiMarzio's trademark.
          Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
          Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
            Not quite. The resistance on PAF's was pretty wide over the original years, and the range included much higher and lower than 8K.
            Didn't diff mags float in & out,too?
            "Scalloped & Stickered"
            A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

That's what "THE" P.A.F. is:

HTH,

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp View Post
                DiMarzio's trademark is for "PAF" without periods. If one refers to the pickup as "P.A.F." that is not infringing on DiMarzio's trademark.
                That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Comment

Originally posted by Rand-O-Monium View Post
                  Didn't diff mags float in & out,too?
                  Yes, at least 4 kinds of alnicos. The coils were usually mismatched to some degree. Sometimes the hotter PU was in the neck slot. 'PAF' covers a lot of territory.
                  "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp View Post
                    Like most members here, I'm just amazed at Dimarzio doing that.

Comment

Never said 8.00 ...as to the sub-7 and over-9 PAFs, it is my uninformed and extremely biased opinion that these were QC cockups and winders asleep at the wheel (for originals) or misleading exploitation of an unrelated product's reputation by unprincipled marketers for later products advertised as PAFs
                      "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Like most members here, I'm just amazed at Dimarzio doing that.
                        What amazes me is WD Music products trademarking the design of the lipstick tube pickup in 1995.
                        Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
                        Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Cutting to the chase... A PAF IS AN 8k TWO-WIRE (hot & ground) PICKUP WITH ALNICO MAG AND DUAL COILS WIRED FOR HUM CANCELLING.
                          Unless my eyesight is failing, it would appear that you did say 8K. As far as the resistence range, original PAF's were 'wound until the coils were full' with no resistence goal, so depending on the pattern and the tension, there was a lot of variation. Gibson wasn't aiming for 8K; that definition came much later. They met the quality control standards at the time and were considered just as valid as any others. They certainly weren't rejected.
                          Last edited by blueman335; 11-27-2013, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Never said 8.00
                            Oh, really?

Comment

For all those people who find it more convenient to bother you with their question rather than to Google it for themselves.
                              Originally posted by LesStrat
                              Yogi Berra was correct.
                              Originally posted by JOLLY
                              I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by The Vault View Post
                                Can someone please explain the difference between PAF's, humbuckers, single coils and P-90's.

TV.
                                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAF_(pickup) - PAF (Patent Applied For)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_coil#Gibson_P-90 - single coil + P90
                                Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Working...
                                X