What is a PAF pickup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a PAF pickup?

Can someone please explain the difference between PAF's, humbuckers, single coils and P-90's.

TV.
    Official Web Page MySpace My Music On Soundclick

Re: What is a PAF pickup?

A true PAF is gibson's original humbucking pickup from the late 50's. PAF stands for "Patent Applied For" which is what the sticker said on the bottom of the pickup. I know one of the first guitars they came in were the Burst Les Paul Standards from '58, although something tells me they were introduced in '57. In the Custom?

Most full size Humbuckers now are the shape and size of the original Gibson PAFs. Single coils only have one coil (duh) as opposed to two, and they come in sizes from a strat/tele up to the P90 that was in GIbson solid bodies prior to the PAF. Think the Les Paul "Goldtop" or Les Paul Junior.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

A humbucker consists in 2 coils using a common magnet. The coils are wired so that their phase cancel out the hum that you normally get with single coil. They also have more output and a smoother, warmer tone than single coils.
      PAF stands for Patent Applied For. It was what Gibson stamped on the back of the first ever humbuckers, invented by Mr Seth Lover. The pickups you find on Les Pauls usually are PAFs. SDs PAFs are the Pearly Gates, the Seth Lover and the '59. I guess the Screaming Deamon could be seen as an overwould PAF but I'm not too sure if the sound follows. PAFs have a very warm tone and go hand to hand with LPs.
      The P90 is the bastard son of a humbucker and a single coil. It has a huge sound, but still with hum. Just a huge single coil.
      I hope that helped a bit?

Comment

Would the APH's qualify as PAF's?

What about the JB?

Tv.

Comment

I beleive the APH would be. But I don't think the JB is.

If you go here: http://www.seymourduncan.com/website...mbuckers.shtml

I beleive all under "vintage" are "PAF's" and thats it.
          TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

I assume PAF's breathe better under high gain (for classic rock, funk, and R&B) as opposed to non-PAF's

Tv.

Comment

If you really wish to get into it...

DiMarzio has a trademark or whatever on the use of the term "PAF" so the correct way to refer to an early Gibson humbucker is a "Patent Applied For" humbucker.
              *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
              Originally posted by Slash2987
              Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
              Originally posted by PVFan
              I'm a good sex man.
              Originally posted by Grumpy
              I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

Originally posted by The Golden Boy
                If you really wish to get into it...

DiMarzio has a trademark or whatever on the use of the term "PAF" so the correct way to refer to an early Gibson humbucker is a "Patent Applied For" humbucker.
                Quite ironic isn't it

Comment

IMHO PAF's are the best all arond HB PUP that I have had the experience playing. I work closely with a Luthier here in NY who specializes in restoring vintage guitars and I have played many PAF equipped guitars. I have also had the oppurtunity to compare them against just about everything else out there. What makes them unique is good and bad. Back in the 50's most PUPS were wound by hand, some would have more windings than others and this caused them to be inconsistant. This is not always bad, but I have heard some PAAF's that were not very good. Some PAF's were amazing..... probably the best sounding bridge PUP I have ever played or heard is a PAF in a 1960 335 Stereo that is owned by a friend of mine. PAF's will run $1500.00 to over $2000. depending on the configuration. The PUPS that I feel sound the closest to the real PAFS are the Duncan Alnico2 Pros. Some may say the Antiquities, some may say the Seths, and I have even heard people who feel that Holmes are very close, but IMO the Alnico2 nails the PAF pretty well. I have also played PAF's in a variety of guitars and Amps. Super 400, 335, 61 SG LP, and a few other archtops. I have played them thru Blackface Fenders and 60's Marshalls as well as other Amps. They sound very good in all situations.
                  "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                  "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I've never tried a Dimarzio so I won't even comment...

Tv.

Comment

Originally posted by The Vault View Post
                      Can someone please explain the difference between PAF's, humbuckers, single coils and P-90's.

TV.
                      PAF = patent applied for - a nickname given to seth lovers design while Gibson was waiting 4 years for the patent to be granted. Humbucker is 2 single coils together with the electrical signal running in oppisite directions to do just what the name implies - Cancel or buck the Hum P-90 is and over wound gibson single coil pickup.

Comment

The specific original PAF was Seth Lover's humbucker design. 2 single coils cancel out each others hum and one with 6 adjustable pole pieces the other not and both were enclosed in a 2 and 3/4 by 1 and1/2 inch metal housing. It took over 4 years for the patent to be approved and by then the pickup design was dubbed with the nickname PAF as a sticker was placed under the pickup which read "Patent appled For" while they waited for the patent to be approved. This pick which appears on most Les Pauls is Specifically the original PAF.

Comment

Been 8 years. Dude prolly has figured it out by now.
                          I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Ya know what PAF is spelled backwards, don't ya?
                            "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
                              The P90 is the bastard son of a humbucker and a single coil. It has a huge sound, but still with hum. Just a huge single coil.
                              Soundwise, not chronologically. P-90's came out years before PAF's. And actually, P-90's were out several years before Leo put them in his solidbodies in 1950, so P-90's are first of the three you mentioned. Leo shrunk them down to save money, and Gibson added a coil to reduce noise, and increased the cost.
                              "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                              "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                              "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Working...
                              X