stripping a 1981 gibson flying v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: stripping a 1981 gibson flying v

Yep, I hear ya and appreciate it! Just like getting a few different perspectives.
    No harm done, no offense taken. There is more than one way to skin a cat!
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Making some progress here. Go the kahler cleaned up and re-routed. Chiseled out most of the pickup cavity and re-routed the super thin strip up by the neck without breaking anything. That's like 4-5 mm of wood left up there right now so I am very eager to go back in and add more to beef that up. Anywho, coming along for anyone who cares.

Oh yea----one question--I have a great piece of wood to put in there. I'm of two minds about the depth/height of the piece when I put it in. Would love some opinions.

Option 1-Have the new piece be just a hair taller than the rest and then sand it down to level. This might make sense knowing that it will be very hard to make the bottom of the newly routed area perfectly level

Option 2-Make it the same height

Option 3-Make it same height or even slightly lower then rest of guitar and just slather some famowood or whatever over the whole area to hide the seams.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4542.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	5809350

Comment

I don't have a clue what famowood is...
        But you want a minimum of filler no matter how you do it.
        Filler is NOT tone. Wood is tone.

Comment

-Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
          “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Dan will not steer you wrong.

Comment

Belt under to take the finish off. Fill the hole with Bondo.

Seriously - these guys have you covered. Keep us up to date. Great project!
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I've learned that the first step in getting anything to strip is always tequila!
                Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

I've watched that Dan video a million times. Dare I say, he has much better tools & expertise than I do. By like.......a mile. Man, I want a planer.

Anywho, still chugging along. Cleaned out the pickup route. Just need to figure out what I am going to do with the big jackhole (that's fun to say) on the horn.

It does look pretty crazy right now. Not much wood left in this sucker.

Comment

Fill, smooth, then cheat and put a decal or something over it if it's visible through your new finish.

Filler wise? Bondo for ease with dubious tonal characteristics, rout out and plug with proper wood for style and finesse points

Or even just get a fabricated corner protector and don't do much of anything
                    Last edited by Adieu; 08-13-2018, 09:34 AM.
                    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

This keeps coming along slowly.

I'm thinking of doing a silverburst but I'm trying to figure out what paint to use. I like reranch and have had good success with it but I don't think their silver is metallic enough. Not seeing much from Stewmac either and I do prefer nitro if I can pull it.

If I go with Duplicolor or something the color choices are straight up overwhelming. Anyone done one and have advice?

Comment

My training is in real lacquer - nitrocellulose and acrylic lacquer.... So I still head to the hobby shops and buy Tamiya rattle cans full of real lacquer. It goes on thin, and looks good as long as you did proper prepwork. Comes in a world of colors - metallics, pearls, candies, clear, and opaque.

Comment

Makes sense. I'm looking for guidance from anyone who's attempted their own silverburst and what specific paint colors they used.

Comment

well, I got some progress. holes are routed pretty cleanly. Body is stripped (I need to clean up some parts a bit more). Started working on blocks to fill holes. Block is clearly going to show some gaps. Dan Erlewine sure makes it look easy to make a perfectly aligned match with no seams. Planning on filling the gaps with kwikwood or epoxy or something then sanding it back. Still haven't decided on the plan for the added jack-hole above. I almost want to just fill it w/ quikwood and be done with it.

Comment

Good luck...

Man, seeing that thing makes me want to slap the bejesus out of whoever did it...

Comment

Good luck... Man, seeing that thing makes me want to slap the bejesus out of whoever did it...
                                I did it for the client who owned it... You got a problem?

Comment

Working...
                                X