Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mesa/Boogie .50 Caliber

Originally posted by jrbowen81 View Post
    Disregard my previous post. I just read the operating anual online. I'm pretty sure this amp could TOTALLY work for what I need.
    Originally posted by Jessie's ghost
    I like having the stop bar all the way down. Sue me. I've got like six dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by eschoendorff View Post
      Whoops! I blame my phone. LOL
      Yowza!

Comment

Why is this thread still going without a "I brought it home today" review? Just do it already.

Originally posted by Soulcrusher_X View Post
        ...but f**k me, those Fender-box Mesas just have this GRIND that I love.
        This. I wouldn't trade my MarkIII for anything.

Comment

Originally posted by King IzzO))) View Post
          Why is this thread still going without a "I brought it home today" review? Just do it already.

True. Well, tonight after work I'll be playing my Marshall again, and depending on how that goes, maybe for the last time before I make an attempt at selling it locally. If I can't sell it for enough to buy the Mesa, it will have to wait. Yes, I'm that broke.
          Yowza!

Comment

Go for it. I have a Dual Caliber 50 like others which is descended from the caliber lineup. I think the general tone palette is the same but they added separate EQ for the two channels and a overall Output control.

Great amp that covers a lot of ground. And an OD in front of it will get you even more crunch.

But don't think it's going to get you in Recto land, it won't. It's more closer to Mark territory in the gain channel and IMO much richer than anything the JCM900 can do. Less grainy to my ears.

Comment

Regret.....I has it.

LP Custom
              Greenbacks
              Boss SD-1

Comment

Originally posted by brunogio View Post
                Go for it. I have a Dual Caliber 50 like others which is descended from the caliber lineup. I think the general tone palette is the same but they added separate EQ for the two channels and a overall Output control.

Great amp that covers a lot of ground. And an OD in front of it will get you even more crunch.

But don't think it's going to get you in Recto land, it won't. It's more closer to Mark territory in the gain channel and IMO much richer than anything the JCM900 can do. Less grainy to my ears.
                Good to know! I'm not really going for the Recto tone anyway. I really dig the Mark serious, so this sounds promising.
                Yowza!

Comment

Regret.....I has it.
                  I regret letting my DC-5 and halfback cab go.

I don't think the Dual Cal and the 50 Cal are that close though, the Dual Cal can get pretty close to recto sounds.
                  Last edited by King IzzO))); 04-17-2012, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Good to know! I'm not really going for the Recto tone anyway. I really dig the Mark serious, so this sounds promising.
                    I regret letting my DC-5 and halfback cab go.

I don't think the Dual Cal and the 50 Cal are that close though, the Dual Cal can get pretty close to recto sounds.
                    From what Ive played of the DC series, 50cal and F-series, they all sit nicely in between Mark and Recto tones. Some just sit a little more on one side of the fence or the other. I really liked them all. Like I said before, the Fender-boxed Mesas just have that GRIND.

LP Custom
                    Greenbacks
                    Boss SD-1

Comment

Called a local guy on my lunch break & told him what I was trying to do, and it turns out that he just so happens to have a DC-3 and a DC-5 (!!!) that I can check out! The only thing is that they're 1x12 combos, but after reading up on the features, I just may have to get off my high horse about only wanting the head model. After all, I could still run it into my 4x12 cab. Might look a little funny, but if this guy takes me up on a trade deal, I just might be an idiot if I don't take it. Especially because with a combo amp, I can take it with me to more places.

The best part is since this guy is local and I already know him, AND not actively trying to sell these amps in a hurry, it may give me more time to work a deal.
                      Yowza!

Comment

Called a local guy on my lunch break & told him what I was trying to do, and it turns out that he just so happens to have a DC-3 and a DC-5 (!!!) that I can check out! The only thing is that they're 1x12 combos, but after reading up on the features, I just may have to get off my high horse about only wanting the head model. After all, I could still run it into my 4x12 cab. Might look a little funny, but if this guy takes me up on a trade deal, I just might be an idiot if I don't take it. Especially because with a combo amp, I can take it with me to more places.

The best part is since this guy is local and I already know him, AND not actively trying to sell these amps in a hurry, it may give me more time to work a deal.
                        With a lot of those older Boogies, you can buy a headshell and convert it to a head or vice/versa. There are 4 bolts in the top of the combo/head shell that, once removed, the chassis will slide right out. They used the same chassis for the heads AND the combos.

LP Custom
                        Greenbacks
                        Boss SD-1

Comment

With a lot of those older Boogies, you can buy a headshell and convert it to a head or vice/versa. There are 4 bolts in the top of the combo/head shell that, once removed, the chassis will slide right out. They used the same chassis for the heads AND the combos.
                          Randall Smith is a freakin' GENIUS!
                          Yowza!

Comment

Before you get rid of your 900 try it with the treble and presence off and the bass, mids, and gain all the way up, add volume and pedals to taste, plug in and rip! That is the secret to the secret weapon of arena rock that is the JCM900.
                            Widow - "we have songs".
                            Originally posted by Aceman
                            Mega gain pup plus mega gain amp usually equals mega crap.

Comment

Originally posted by John E Rokker View Post
                              Before you get rid of your 900 try it with the treble and presence off and the bass, mids, and gain all the way up, add volume and pedals to taste, plug in and rip! That is the secret to the secret weapon of arena rock that is the JCM900.
                              Actually, that's close to how I've been using it lately, haha!
                              Yowza!

Comment

And how I use my butcher.

Comment

Working...
                                X