New double tracker plugin just released by MeldaProduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New double tracker plugin just released by MeldaProduction

Dunno if there are any MeldaProduction fans here but this just came down the wires:

Cannot wait to try it tomorrow (too late here now and too quiet). If it’s anything like the rest of their stuff then it’s bound to be awesome. Their plugins, arguably of course, but to me anyway, are the finest plugins on the planet. Not cheap I’m afraid (for the entire bundle anyway) but no regrets at all (which is not something I can say about a lot of other plugins I have the misfortune of having purchased before discovering this crowd).

Their filter, stereo processing, phase correction, compression, and frequency analysis plugins (the list goes on really) are really something to behold.
    Last edited by dpaterson; 02-11-2019, 06:12 PM.

Re: New double tracker plugin just released by MeldaProduction

Meldas are flat-out brilliant. These plug-ins rendered many hyped ones useless. I've used them on countless album production projects.
    Wackor
    Ørdøg
    NecroPolo
    Diabolus in Musica
    SIDrip Alliance
    Book of Shadows
    RKH

Comment

Do you mind if I ask you what your involvement is with the bands that you have listed in your signature???

I just listened to a track or two from each link and there is some really really good stuff there. Not only is the music itself good but the mixing and mastering is outstanding as are some of the videos.

There really are some righteously talented and professional people on these forums that is for sure. Really nice to see and know.

Comment

Here. For those of you who couldn’t be arsed to click on links in member signatures...

Check the below out. And for rock and metal heads don’t go thinking “uh oh this is electronica” (which was my initial reaction) let it run (there is some seriously good guitar stuff with amazing tone):

And listen to this:

Comment

Thanks for the kind words, I really appreciate!

I play in all of these bands this and that and produce / co-produce what is going on to different degree, depending on how much production + mixing/mastering feels like making a testicle operation awake on myself. The band-marriage negotiation drives me mad at times during production, regardless that these bands are my family. To speed things up, sometimes it is better to give the project to an external ear. Apart from related recordings I produced dosens and dosens of albums for other bands during the years, mostly heavy stuff.
          Wackor
          Ørdøg
          NecroPolo
          Diabolus in Musica
          SIDrip Alliance
          Book of Shadows
          RKH

Comment

Most impressive. Thank you.

Comment

Melda makes some nice stuff. I use their spectrum analyzer.
              Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
              My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

^ Yip. One of the best if not the best.

Must say I'm impressed with this MDoubleTracker. Was playing around with it for a while yesterday. Of course it's no substitute for real double tracking. But for sure it does a really nice job of simulating the effect and/or creating a really nice and full stereo field from a mono source. What makes it different from the other sh*t out there: you can achieve this without introducing phase problems. Now that's something.

Comment

I'm glad Melda is getting some love. I've found every single one of their plugins I've bought to be incredibly practical, not to mention easy to use. Would you say this is similar to a plugin version of that Mimiq pedal that came out not too long ago?
                  The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Hi.

Honestly I'd have to say it's better than the MIMIQ (I have a MIMIQ). With the MIMIQ there is no way that you can find a setting that doesn't introduce phasing. People laugh at me when I bring this up but just try it i.e. play through the MIMIQ and pull up a metering plugin that has a phase meter and you'll see clearly what I mean. At least with this plugin you've got some control over that.

And yeh. It's funny. When I first saw the Melda stuff I though it was archaic because of the interface. I could not have been more wrong. Some of these other plugin vendors would do well to spend less time on the interface and more time on the guts.

Comment

MIMIQ is great for live use or other applications where you don’t want/need a computer. I don’t own the Melda doubler, I use Waves for my doubler plug-in, but any doubling of any sort regardless of technique used will introduce phase artifacts. In fact overdubbing of any kind will do the same. So phase cancellation is not nearly that big a deal. I find the phase cancellation introduced by sloppy multi mic’ing and bad EQing or ‘EZ’ plugins to be more offensive.

I find the MIMIQ to be decent at thickening a solo electric guitar, very good at widening UST acoustic guitar, and brilliant for stereo processing a mono synth. I almost always find a way to use the MIMIQ in my recordings somewhere.

As for any ADT style effect, it’s just another tool in he toolbox. Sometimes you want actual doubling, sometimes ADT is what you want. The key is in making a decision and sticking with it, not doing both and furloughing the decision until later!
                      Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 02-13-2019, 06:33 AM.
                      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterson View Post
                        Hi.

Honestly I'd have to say it's better than the MIMIQ (I have a MIMIQ). With the MIMIQ there is no way that you can find a setting that doesn't introduce phasing. People laugh at me when I bring this up but just try it i.e. play through the MIMIQ and pull up a metering plugin that has a phase meter and you'll see clearly what I mean. At least with this plugin you've got some control over that.

And yeh. It's funny. When I first saw the Melda stuff I though it was archaic because of the interface. I could not have been more wrong. Some of these other plugin vendors would do well to spend less time on the interface and more time on the guts.
                        No laughter from me. I get it, being a sound engineer and all. If they have done it in a way where there's no (or very minimal) phasing when summed to mono, that's pretty impressive. From what I understand,it modulates tempo (like a variable delay with a look-ahead), volume and probably pitch as well in minuscule amounts. It said in the description something about using some pretty old techniques used for decades on some hardware and made comparisons to the Eventide H3000. If it gets more complex than that I'd love to know what else they did. I haven't tried it yet.
                        The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Comment

Thanks, I'll have a look.

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                          As for any ADT style effect, it’s just another tool in he toolbox. Sometimes you want actual doubling, sometimes ADT is what you want. The key is in making a decision and sticking with it, not doing both and furloughing the decision until later!
                          You speak the truth my friend.

Comment

Here's (below) a pic. of the plugin so that you can see the available parameters (additional post to follow) (maybe it gives you a clue as to what they're doing and how they're doing it):

Click image for larger version

Name:	mdt.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	5812913

P.S.

Tried to upload a larger image (Melda being one of the few that allows resizing of the GUI) but it would appear that the forums shrink an image that's too large to be displayed (something like that anyway).
                            Last edited by dpaterson; 02-13-2019, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Hi.

Fantastic posts. Not going to quote them as it will make this post too long.

Agreed about the MIMIQ for live. I’ve only used it with my amps. micd. up (always two amps. for stereo) and it can produce some decent thickening. But my ears are “ultra attuned” to phase issues and comb. filtering for some obscure reason. So the MIMIQ pretty much gathers dust. I get far better results recording, phase issue and comb. filtering free, by using a DD-7 with an extremely short delay, different cab. and reverb settings on each amp., additional delays with different settings on each amp., and using four mics. i.e. two on each amp. (and of course the mics. are phase aligned with each other in pairs and then each amp. channel is carefully phase aligned) (yes: it takes me some time to set up a recording session!!! LOL!!!). And if I need a nudge of extra width then I use a MS processing plugin. As you can see: I’ve spent a lot of time and gone to a lot of trouble on this just to eliminate phasing and comb. filtering!!! LOL!!! But with this setup: I really do get a lovely thickened sound with a nice stereo field without losing the middle of the field. But I digress. Sorry for that.

Bear in mind (before I go further) that I've only messed around with this thing for about an hour today between practice sessions (just thought it was worth mentioning this at this point).

The plugin can also produce phase artifacts (most of the presets do) but even just in my cursory messing about with it: it’s possible to fine tune these parameters to get a really nice subtle but thick and wide sound without phasing and comb. filtering. And my tests were just on a mono track out of an amp. sim. Keen to see what this thing does with my setup above.

Let's face it though: none of these plugins are a substitute for double tracking (guitars anyway). They're more "sound thickening" than doubling. But I've got a personal issue with double tracking i.e. you cannot do it live and on-the-fly (not with one guitarist anyway) so I stay away from it (don't see the point of having monster studio sound and thin live sound). This being said: today is the first time I've actually gotten what I would call a decent sound out of an amp. sim. thanks to this plugin (and I own a fair number of similar plugins created by "the usual suspects" e.g. the WAVES stuff)!!! So that's progress (I think anyway). Matter of fact: not being able to get this type of sound with amp. sims. up until today is one of the main reasons I've stayed away from them (I say that but like an idiot I own most of them too i.e. always lived in hope that one of them would excel). This could now very well change I'll tell you.

Of course and in a pinch you can use MAutoAlign to eliminate phase issues (LOL!!!):

Click image for larger version

Name:	mal.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	5812914

No. I don't work for Melda. But I could talk about their stuff the whole day!!! LOL!!!
                              Last edited by dpaterson; 02-13-2019, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X