Parallel Axis Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Parallel Axis Appreciation Thread

Fugly neck and PATB-3 bridge make up a really good sounding set!

B
    FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
      Most Gibsons and Epiphones since the mid-'80s have trem-spaced bridges. Drives me crazy that more people aren't aware of this. That's why their newer bridge models are labeled "T" (500T, 498T, 490T, etc) and their neck pickups are labeled "R" (for Regular spacing)
      seriously? you just blew my mind! i always thought it was for Rhythm and Treble!
      Quality riffs in about a minute...
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Technically it is "Rhythm" and "Treble" (after all, Gibsons don't typically have a trem of any kind), but "T" pickups have 52mm spacing, which is even wider than DiMarzio's "F"-spacing (51mm) and much closer to Duncan's "Trembucker" spacing at 52.6mm.

My point is that Gibson has been using trem-spaced bridges along with the wider "T" series pickups in the bridge for 30+ years now. People often assume that Gibsons need narrower spacing in both positions, but this isn't true except on special models and vintage-correct reissues.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
          Regardless, when I play one of these pickups, I wonder why I see so little talk about them. Please chime in with your thoughts or experiences.
          My guess is that the PATB is not meant to achieve mainstream appeal because it eschews the "JB for hard rock/Distortion or metalheads/PAFs for the classic crowd" clichés. People are maybe even afraid of its non familiar look and they are probably not aware that it's Seymour's design of a novel magnetic circuit. I be the average Joe is more interested in celebrity endorsements rather than pickup science.

I'm incredibly glad SD makes such pickups available to us even though they're niche. Not appreciated by the most people but much appreciated nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]105099[/ATTACH]

My Les Paul is from 2006, and the poles line up perfectly.
            Most modern tune-o-matic bridges are F-spaced. I had a 2000 USA Jackson RR1T that I put a PATB-2 into, and it also lined up perfectly. The pickup sounded amazing, and I recently bought another one to put into something else.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	image_4036 (1).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	5820705

Comment

My PATB-1 set, in my LP Custom, is in my top 3 favorite guitars. (And I'm not an LP kinda guy.) They're hard to describe. Hifi-ish, almost perfect tonal balance. I had a PATB-3 once and traded it for something. I need to get one back. The PATB-3 is to the PATB-1 kinda like a PG is to a Seth. Just a wee bit more bite and punch.

Comment

The PATB series aren't found commonly in most local stores. That's probably why they don't have as abundant following among Duncan customers, that and probably the looks, it might be making people rethink their choice. If a bunch of well known players endorsed them then perhaps more people might be interested in them.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	YtKjGfWtHHw.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	5820710

my patb-2

Comment

I used a PATB-2 in my Jackson for a long time and it is a great pick up.

Comment

+1 on the PATB-3.
                      Great singing bridge pickup with excellent definition and nice cleanup.
                      A good bit of PAFish character there, even in its bone stock version.
                      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by BleedingFingertips View Post
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]105135[/ATTACH]

my patb-2
                        Gotta say I love the graphic on that one!
                        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I wish the PATB-1n came in Trembucker spacing. The bridge model is too hot for me, and the Blues Saraceņo too bottom heavy and anemic in the mids (and a bit too hot). As mentioned, I have two PATB-1ns in my Ascari. They sound great, but I really wish the bridge pickup pole pieces lined up better, since pole spacing is supposedly important to the design of the pickup.
                          Last edited by ItsaBass; 06-01-2020, 04:50 PM.
                          Originally posted by LesStrat
                          Yogi Berra was correct.
                          Originally posted by JOLLY
                          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                            I wish the PATB-1n came in Trembucker spacing.
                            I'm fairly certain that ALL PATB's are trembucker spacing, regardless of their position. I'll dig mine out and measure it.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                              I wish the PATB-1n came in Trembucker spacing. The bridge model is too hot for me, and the Blues Saraceņo too bottom heavy and anemic in the mids (and a bit too hot). As mentioned, I have two PATB-1ns in my Ascari. They sound great, but I really wish the bridge pickup pole pieces lined up better, since pole spacing is supposedly important to the design of the pickup.
                              Huh? It is Trembucker spacing. It's literally in the name... PATB = Parallel Axis Trembucker.

Comment

PATB-1n on top, PATB-1b on bottom:

Comment

Working...
                                X