banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The most curious 1970's "The JB Model" yet!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The most curious 1970's "The JB Model" yet!

I see in the description that his reference pickup for the review was a 4-conductor version with "nylon" bobbins, not the single-conductor pickup he displays at the top. Funny that he wouldn't just share a picture of the actual pickup he was reviewing!

On a side note, you guys are suggesting that Darth's blog isn't for "pickup geeks", yet he posts DCR specs and regularly goes off about capacitance, bobbin materials, coil offsets and "scatterwinding".

I didn't say people weren't interested in his site. Just that his reviews tend to talk in circles and don't highlight his true expertise. Also, people keep referring to his "reviews" in discussion, but the reviews themselves don't justify the point of referring to them (as is the case with the person who said the topic was "already covered" earlier in this thread)

Comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
      Just checked my records and listing pictures. I DID sell him that pickup, LOL!

Originally posted by Luke Duke View Post
      that particular dbl creme JB with the JB Model stamp is an ultra rare NYLON bobbin JB he traded to me a few years ago...which I purchased from a guy on the forum who I was PMing about something else entirely.

Comment

I see in the description that his reference pickup for the review was a 4-conductor version with "nylon" bobbins, not the single-conductor pickup he displays at the top. Funny that he wouldn't just share a picture of the actual pickup he was reviewing!

On a side note, you guys are suggesting that Darth's blog isn't for "pickup geeks", yet he posts DCR specs and regularly goes off about capacitance, bobbin materials, coil offsets and "scatterwinding".

I didn't say people weren't interested in his site. Just that his reviews tend to talk in circles and don't highlight his true expertise. Also, people keep referring to his "reviews" in discussion, but the reviews themselves don't justify the point of referring to them (as is the case with the person who said the topic was "already covered" earlier in this thread)
        It was mentioned because you came off as having uncovered some major discovery, but you didn’t. Cool info? Sure! Supporting info to what we’ve already known? Absolutely! Groundbreaking? Naw.

The part that is confusing, is your almost passive aggressive “attacks” on DP. “I like him..BUT”. “He knows his stuff..BUT”. It just comes across as fake and even pretentious at times. It’s clear that you have a personal issue with him, but pepper your comments with a little bit of “nice” to try to hide it. Whenever his name is mentioned, there you are with the “I miss him, BUT”. (as a result, you derailed your own thread) Even trying to take credit for selling him the pickup he reviewed?? Kind of weird really.

Anyway, as mentioned previously his blog reviews are directed to a more general audience and it’s clear that he knows some spec nerds will also be looking, so he offers something for both. A casual pickup consumer doesn’t want to get lost in the weeds with technical data. It may seem simple to you, but there is a greater number of people who don’t know what any of it means. The people who still think that DCR is the be all end all of pickup output.

The end

Comment

This brings up a good point: a lot of knowledge is useless if you lack the skills to effectively communicate it.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Still speaks more to my credibility than anything you've touted.
            Yes, nothing speaks "credibility" louder than going "I am the best" to the world!
            Speaking of work...you are a piece of work.
            Thank you! I've been called a lot worse...
            I'm done justifying things to you. Will you please see yourself out of any thread I start? Even better, would you mind just not clicking on my threads in the first place?
            If you need a "safe space" where your feelings are not hurt and your actual knowledge challenged, all you need to do is ask. I'm a crowd pleaser, you know?
            Last edited by Discharged; 11-14-2019, 08:26 AM.
            Peter Pedersen aka Discharged
            Kolding, Denmark

Comment

Well, while a couple of you continue to provide ABSOLUTELY NOTHING OF VALUE to this thread and engage in your friendly circle jerk, I am going to go enjoy my wares. Feel free to continue being the jealous egotists you appear to be online and question my integrity, character and intentions while I'm away. I won't interfere

Mincer, I hope you're starting to see the pattern evolving in my recent threads. I bring up an interesting topic, post with the enthusiasm of a true SD fan, and then certain members continue to be difficult, make digs and ultimately turn it into a character smear of the OP.

We used to be able to have a friendly discussion around here and people were expected to adhere reasonably to the topic at hand. Apparently, that changed while I wasn't looking and personal attacks and putting the OP on the defensive have somehow become more acceptable than discussing vintage JB's? We need to reverse this trend. There's a difference between offering opinions about whether a pickup was underwound or not and calling into question the value of every aspect of someone's being. Bad players are running rampant in these pages and truly taking the enjoyment out of the interactions here.

I shouldn't have to justify the value I've brought to the forum over the past 10 years...Simply look at my actual posting history and compare the quality of responses to those of anyone in this thread. I suggest starting with Discharged...

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                This brings up a good point: a lot of knowledge is useless if you lack the skills to effectively communicate it.
                Agreed. However, as others have said this is not the case with DF. He communicates well with his audience which includes novices and pros. If people are looking for more detailed information i.e. the pickup has a mid bump at a certain frequency there are places to get that information. For most of the masses that is information, they do not understand or want to weed through. DF communicates the pertinent information in a clear and concise way.

Put it this way. MotorTrend is one of the most popular auto magazines. If you read a car review they will talk about the engine and its basic specs. But if you want a deep dive of the engine's components there are other resources for that. It does not mean MotorTrend failed to communicate the information. They are giving you enough information to decide if you want to do more research on the subject. The same is true with DF and his reviews.

Comment

Well, while a couple of you continue to provide ABSOLUTELY NOTHING OF VALUE to this thread and engage in your friendly circle jerk, I am going to go enjoy my wares. Feel free to continue being the jealous egotists you appear to be online and question my integrity, character and intentions while I'm away. I won't interfere

Mincer, I hope you're starting to see the pattern evolving in my recent threads. I bring up an interesting topic, post with the enthusiasm of a true SD fan, and then certain members continue to be difficult, make digs and ultimately turn it into a character smear of the OP.

We used to be able to have a friendly discussion around here and people were expected to adhere reasonably to the topic at hand. Apparently, that changed while I wasn't looking and personal attacks and putting the OP on the defensive have somehow become more acceptable than discussing vintage JB's? We need to reverse this trend. There's a difference between offering opinions about whether a pickup was underwound or not and calling into question the value of every aspect of someone's being. Bad players are running rampant in these pages and truly taking the enjoyment out of the interactions here.

I shouldn't have to justify the value I've brought to the forum over the past 10 years...Simply look at my actual posting history and compare the quality of responses to those of anyone in this thread. I suggest starting with Discharged...
                  If you see people act in a disrespectful way, make sure you report the post. This makes it easier for the mods to do something about it.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

For the record: the depicted "The JB Model" was part of a batch wound by Seymour himself!

Source: Darth Phineas, after asking Seymour himself by phone.

Ergo, my presumption of being a tempered with p'up ended up being wrong as well, so I stand corrected.

/Peter
                    Peter Pedersen aka Discharged
                    Kolding, Denmark

Comment

I've noticed this. You're a really good sport about it. You have the knowledge to deal with the trolls and also do it while remaining positive. It seems the more tech a thread is, the more people troll. And they have to try to make the premise that if you don't know this deeper level of winding, or vintage knowledge or what have you, then everything you say is invalid. I started a thread once about unwinding the JB because I love its character and I would like to hear it underwound. The trolls were all over my ass. I was like I'm not dealing with this **** and just deleted the thread.
                      The things that you wanted
                      I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                        I started a thread once about unwinding the JB
                        WAT ?!?!

Comment

^ Hehe ya. I tried it with a junk coil and the wax made it impossible to unwind. The wire was too delicate.
                          The things that you wanted
                          I bought them for you

Comment

I'm gonna shut down this monstrosity for now. Sorry guys.

Comment

Working...
                            X