banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Play a Fat Nashville Telecaster: Tele Bridge, Strat Middle, Humbucker Neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Play a Fat Nashville Telecaster: Tele Bridge, Strat Middle, Humbucker Neck

I've messed around assembling some custom Warmoth guitars, and was considering a Fat Nashville setup for my next project. Has anyone played something similar? Getting the tone to balance across all combos might be a challenge, but I like the "idea" of the setup. I'd keep the wiring simple, 5 way switch, auto split in position 4, neck on toggle for neck and bridge combo. I know mini hums are popular neck pickups but I prefer full size humbuckers or might consider a humbucker sized P90...possibly a TV Jones. Anyway, if you've played a similar setup please let me know what you think.

For reference, I'm not shooting to cover a specific genre. Rather, I'm just looking to add some interesting tones. My other builds include: Duncan SSL2/SSL2/SSL6 Strat, Duncan APS2/APS2/JD Tele, Fralin SP43 Strat, and Suhr Thornbucker/V60/Thornbucker + Tele. All my guitars have some unique wiring like blender pots, series/parallel, Freeway Switch...I just like to have fun.

Re: Anyone Play a Fat Nashville Telecaster: Tele Bridge, Strat Middle, Humbucker Neck

I have a Nashville Tele Deluxe with a Lace T-150 in the bridge, SD stacked HB in the middle, and a P-Rails w/ a Triple Shot ring in the neck slot with a N/B switch, and it’s the most versatile guitar I have, and consequently my #1.
    Last edited by telekaster78; 03-28-2020, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Re: Anyone Play a Fat Nashville Telecaster: Tele Bridge, Strat Middle, Humbucker Neck

Try a Psyclone in the neck position, I have mine wired without a tone control and it sounds great!

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

I prefer a mini humbucker in the neck of my tele, but some kind of filter tron wouldn't be bad either

Comment

I hadn’t thought of a P-Rail. Very interesting. P-Rail neck, hot stack middle, hot rail bridge? Might be a hard rock machine.

Comment

Warmoth 1 piece ash body, 95 tele neck. Ellis Broadcaster bridge, Fender Tx. Sp. middle, Duncan Ant HB neck. And here is how it sounds:

Bridge (light drive)

Bridge (more crunchy)

Neck

B
            Attached Files
            FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

I would recommend: JD into the bridge, a clean 6K strat single into the middle spot, and PGn or Seth or Ant HB into the neck. You could also go for a Gibson Deluxe type of mini HB into the neck. (I am not a fan of Firebird pickups anyways, find them a bit too trebly.)

It'll be a cool tele!

B

Comment

i think jd/ssl2/seth neck would be a cool setup. but honestly, i think a lp dlx mini humbucker or firebird pup in the neck is a better option. my black tele is a antiquity II firebird neck pup and a5 7.5k tele bridge pup i wound, love it!

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                  i think jd/ssl2/seth neck would be a cool setup. but honestly, i think a lp dlx mini humbucker or firebird pup in the neck is a better option. my black tele is a antiquity II firebird neck pup and a5 7.5k tele bridge pup i wound, love it!
                  I agree with the neck. I just can't seem to get along with Firebird minis. Love deluxe minis tho!

So your bridge is sort of a "blues special". Staggered?

I think I am stuck to the broadcaster thing. The best guitar that I have ever played was a 51 broadcaster in the Guitar Center on Sunset Blvd. Had a price tag of 50K in 2009... And it was cheap!

And I think JD is hell of a broadcaster pickup. I wish Duncan were to offer it with a3 rods as well.

B

Comment

I have a JD, SSL2, APS2, in other guitars so looking to branch out a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo View Post
                      I agree with the neck. I just can't seem to get along with Firebird minis. Love deluxe minis tho!

So your bridge is sort of a "blues special". Staggered?

I think I am stuck to the broadcaster thing. The best guitar that I have ever played was a 51 broadcaster in the Guitar Center on Sunset Blvd. Had a price tag of 50K in 2009... And it was cheap!

And I think JD is hell of a broadcaster pickup. I wish Duncan were to offer it with a3 rods as well.

B
                      I'm with you in liking deluxe style minis much more than FB pickups in general. Full Shred neck is really articulate and would be interesting to try in a tele, too

Comment

bridge is #42 pe, cant remember how many turns off the top of my head, a5 flat pole. i love the high end of the firebird pup but i can see not everyone liking it. the bridge pup is still fairly bright even though its got some extra turns and the two match up very well. i like the lp dlx minis too, more like a paf light.

Comment

I'd go all noiseless:

Seth Lover
                          STK-S4
                          Hot Tele Stack

It should balance fine, and sound different enough to be interesting. I *love* that it is noiseless personally, as I've been in too many places that made single coil use impossible, including several studios (!?!).
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Im not much into strat like sounds so cant really offer an opinion on the middle pup, but:
                            Hot tapped or QP tapped in the bridge
                            Prails (reverse) in the neck
                            Set up pots/switches so the bridge is tapped when you switch to the prials rail. You get
                            Full bridge, neck humbucker = hard rock tele
                            Full bridge, p90 neck = Hard rock p90 tele
                            tapped bridge, rail neck = classic tele
                            tapper bridge, parallel neck - classic fat tele

Comment

Thanks for the pickup recommendation. I've got a lot to think about there. In the mean time I'm circling back to wiring and I'm think of the following two options.

First would use a mini toggle and a push pull to achieve the following:

1 - Bridge
                              2 - Bridge + Middle
                              3 - Bridge + Neck. Push Pull to give Middle alone. Mini toggle to split neck.
                              4 - Middle + Neck
                              5 - Neck. Mini toggle to split neck

I'm also considering wiring the middle pickup to a toggle so I can turn it on in any position and get the following combos:

1 - Neck Humbucker / Middle on
                              2 - Neck Split / Middle on
                              3 - Neck Humbucker + Bridge / Middle on
                              4 - Neck Split + Bridge / Middle on
                              5 - Bridge / Middle on

Thoughts on wiring?

Comment

Working...
                              X