Friendly Solo Contest 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Friendly Solo Contest 2

Well. Here it is. Two weeks. 223 Takes. And counting...

I always get chastised for including my "crowd" with my music but say what you like: it adds a certain ambiance which just "does it" for me. But neverthless, and to this end, I've included both versions i.e. the "live" version (crowd) and the "studio" version (no crowd).

It's not done. Only today did I finally decide on the final "arrangement" and was able to "fit" all of the bits and pieces together into something (almost) flowing and, dare I say, melodic i.e. it's really surprising just how many different possible variations there are on the exact same theme and this in just a 2 min. clip. Needs some tidying up a bit so gimme another week and another 100 takes and it'll be perfect!!! LOL!!! But: at least good enough to upload to get input from my esteemed forum friends and associates!!!

Anybody care to tell me what scales and keys I'm playing (he says tongue in cheek!!! LOL!!!).
    Last edited by dpaterson; 02-16-2019, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterson View Post
      Well. Here it is. Two weeks. 223 Takes. And counting...

I always get chastised for including my "crowd" with my music but say what you like: it adds a certain ambiance which just "does it" for me. But neverthless, and to this end, I've included both versions i.e. the "live" version (crowd) and the "studio" version (no crowd).

It's not done. Only today did I finally decide on the final "arrangement" and was able to "fit" all of the bits and pieces together into something (almost) flowing and, dare I say, melodic i.e. it's really surprising just how many different possible variations there are on the exact same theme and this in just a 2 min. clip. Needs some tidying up a bit so gimme another week and another 100 takes and it'll be perfect!!! LOL!!! But: at least good enough to upload to get input from my esteemed forum friends and associates!!!

Anybody care to tell me what scales and keys I'm playing (he says tongue in cheek!!! LOL!!!).
      Is that with the Invaders? They sound great!

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
        Is that with the Invaders? They sound great!
        Thanks. Yip. Well: bridge Invader anyway i.e. have not installed the neck Invader as yet. And no tone pot (will decide on this when I install the neck Invader). Also just through an amp. sim. (JamVOX) i.e. not through my amps. (figured I'd work out what I want to do first and when it's right I'll start annoying the neighbors again!!! LOL!!!). Will never bother with anything else i.e. Invaders all the way. Matter of fact: my black Jackson is now back to being my absolute favorite by far. Even my white Jackson (Basswood/Maple) now back in second place!!! LOL!!! The Invader never ceases to amaze me i.e. it's so articulate in spite of its reputation for being omnipotent and overbearing. And it makes that DM SD sound like a cheap copy of a Jackson stock pickup made in China (in this guitar anyway)!!! LOL!!! Hell. With the Invader I've even managed to get a listenable tone out of Amplitube 4 and that's saying something!!! LOL!!! Even started inching out of my comfort zone (Marshall) and exploring the Mesa Boogie tones (and that type of stuff). And through my amps.??? Pure heaven.

Comment

I like the crowd.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
            I like the crowd.
            Best part about it: they don't have a choice but to like me and the performance!!! LOL!!! I can take 'em out anytime and get another crowd (and never have to refund tickets)!!! LOL!!!

Dunno if this is allowed in the context of this little competition but for fun here's another version. Oh the joys of amp. sim. software!!! LOL!!! Note that it's the same performance. This was created with Amplitube 4 (using some or the other Malmsteen preset that I downloaded at some point in my "amp. sim. career") (so kinda like a Malmsteen tone but with a '80's hot rodded superstrat with Invaders) and with Melda's MDoubleTracker for the widening of the (mono) guitar track (which does a "crispier" job than your standard delays etc. as on the first uploads) (I know there may be one or two that are interested in this). Oh and in this version the crowd is being side-chained compressed so that they come and go with the music (as opposed to being a constant annoyance, for some, in the background).

Anyways. That's me and this initial attempt/version for now.

There's a few outstanding entries here just by the way!!! Yeh. You know who you are. How long does it take to move an amp. around??? LOL!!! And Mr. Kramer??? And not to mention one or two or three of my newly discovered pro. guitarists on these forums??? Yes. You.

C'mon dudes. I (almost literally) worked my fingers to the bone on this.

And in closing: although I'm not done with this just yet I must admit that I'm grateful to the OP here i.e. gave me some focus and a pleasant distraction from my painstaking Dio/Campbell aspirations (and frustrations)!!! LOL!!! Oddly enough: being that it's been "freestyled" I've actually managed to get a Vivian type trip going (be it only a bar or two!!! LOL!!!) with greater ease than when I'm trying to copy his Lordship note-for-note. Go figure.
            Last edited by dpaterson; 02-16-2019, 01:46 PM.

Comment

I dig this one the best.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                I dig this one the best.
                Was hoping to hear from you. You do realise that you are largely responsible for my even coming this far??? I was about ready to camel the lot until you went to all of that trouble on my Vivian thread. Thank you.

Comment

Dpaterson, I liked your sound and also various parts as well. You were precise and controlled in your playing, +1 for that.

Comment

Originally posted by greekdude View Post
                    Dpaterson, I liked your sound and also various parts as well. You were precise and controlled in your playing, +1 for that.
                    Thank you. Was hoping to hear from you too. I liked your version very much actually.

Dunno about precise and controlled though. Reverb and delay cover up a multitude of shortcomings. There is loads to be done still. Been practicing today with my amps. and it's a totally different ballgame when you've got the backing track coming out of a PA and your guitar sound coming separate from the amps. i.e. I can clearly hear missing notes, bends out of tune, incomplete hooks, inconsistent vibrato, and a multitude of other problems that are still evident, but to a far lesser degree, in the amp. sim. versions uploaded above and with everything coming out of the same source.

I'm happy with the "arrangement" (or "tune" I guess) I think. But would like to include some double string bending and bends high up on the fretboard (can do this now that my fingertips have recovered and hardened again i.e. went through some pain here thanks to this contest!!! LOL!!!). Also played around with some harmonics here and there that work. Gotta be careful though with all of this i.e. I don't want to forsake "entertaining" and "musical" for "pure show" or "bragging rights".

Also want to mix and master nice. The above uploads were very rough i.e. just mixed roughly with my ears and shoved through Lurssen Mastering Console using a preset. Even the guitar tone was just an out-of-the box preset from JamVOX (oh and the Amplitube 4 Malmsteen preset that isn't my creation). Only thing extra was compression (MXR Custom Comp) going into the audio interface. Was just in a hurry to upload and couldn't wait to get some feedback I guess!!! Like a child!!! LOL!!!

Decided I really want to make a video and use my amps. next time around for the final version.

Not going to be happy until I've nailed this one to perfection I'm afraid. But thank you anyway for the +1. Means a lot.

I know I'm (possibly???) making too big a deal of this. But you will probably not believe me when I say that this was my first attempt at playing any type of lead solo or, at very least, completing an entire lead solo from start to finish. With my usual stuff (trying to cover Dio/Campbell) I've spent most of my time on the rhythms and busking my way through the lead solos just to get back to the rhythms as quick as possible. This contest has given me the confidence I need to get those solos down note perfect now. So yeh: means a lot to me I guess. And considering I only started on this Monday two weeks ago: I'm alright with what I've done thus far.

Thanks again (everyone).
                    Last edited by dpaterson; 02-17-2019, 01:20 PM.

Comment

• Re: Friendly Solo Contest 2

I admire your courage and determination. If I had to learn e.g. drums, keyboard or another foreign language I cannot say I'd be persistent enough.

Comment

Quite surprised at the lack of submissions given the number of members there are on these forums.
                        I know, right?

Comment

Oy. The list of submissions needs to be updated (or are you just waiting for me?? LOL???).

Quite surprised at the lack of submissions given the number of members there are on these forums. To date it’s pretty much only a few of “the usual suspects” (and I mean that in a nice way I assure you) that have contributed.
                          Why? I'm not surprised at all.
                          - Some guys are tone chasers and could care less about recording. Never leave the Pickup Lounge
                          - Some are guitar lovers for the sake of guitar
                          - Some are live players
                          - Some just have zero recording chops (technology scares us old guys)
                          - Figure 1/3 just don't solo or do it well enough to feel comfortable doing it.
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I would, but I don't feel confident enough to share too much of myself. Hence most of my YouTube videos are unlisted.
                            Originally posted by Myaccount876
                            Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Don't think of it as a contest. More an exhibition.
                              And if someone doesn't like what you do, they can go hang.
                              I (perfectionist that I am) still think that it's better to try and fail, then to not try at all.
                              Besides, in a hundred years or so, you won't care whether or not what you did was good or bad.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Well.........

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                                Why? I'm not surprised at all.
                                - Some guys are tone chasers and could care less about recording. Never leave the Pickup Lounge
                                - Some are guitar lovers for the sake of guitar
                                - Some are live players
                                - Some just have zero recording chops (technology scares us old guys)
                                - Figure 1/3 just don't solo or do it well enough to feel comfortable doing it.

You mean like this dude.........

Reserving this spot right here for my entry. Gonna be a week+ before I can get it in because I have Dean guitar stuff tonight and a trip to Pheonix all next week....

Sweet tune though! Lot's of possibilities!!!!
                                Awesome stuff coming out!

Moved a delay, hooked yup an amp...gonna be here soon.

ROFLOL!!! I'm sorry. But I really couldn't resist!!! And you really did walk straight into this one!!! LOL!!!

Obviously my comment in one of my previous posts that went along the lines of "how long does it take to move an amp." went straight over your head!!! LOL!!!

Alright: truth be told I, and I'm sure many others, do read your posts (especially the one's where you're rubbing shoulders with the likes of Lita Ford!!! LOL!!!) and I think they carry some weight. So a contribution from somebody like you, who is actually out there doing it, is important I believe. I for one was looking forward to a contribution from you as well as from @Wattage and from Mr. John Jolly over there (and please don't anybody be upset that I've not mentioned you by name here i.e. I think you get the picture). Point is: it helps dudes like me to hear other, good, professional musicians but that are not huge superstars or icons (and don't be offended by that either i.e. once again I think you get the picture).

Comment

Working...
                                X