Boss Katana 100 vs 50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boss Katana 100 vs 50

I strongly prefer the sound and options of the Katana 100 over the 50. After trying both, I found the 100 was worth the small increase in price for the extra options and better factory speaker. Also, the amp is still very reasonable weight-wise.

For the record, I have owned several Cubes (including the "big" Cube 80XL), as well. Saying the Katana was a "step in the wrong direction" for Boss/Roland is something I simply can't agree with. While I would trust an old Cube to survive a 10-foot drop over my Katana 100, I wouldn't trade the Katana for any of the Cube models.

This is the best sounding small amp I've owned since I gave up my Vypyr 120 "Tube" model (which had plenty of shortcomings, but sounded d**n good).

The Katana sounds NOTHING like a "Line 6 Spyder". The same person says he'll walk out of a venue if he spots a Katana in use...that's not the kind of person you should be considering advice from!

Comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
      The same person says he'll walk out of a venue if he spots a Katana in use...that's not the kind of person you should be considering advice from!
      Gate-keep much bro? Maybe re-read because that's not what was said anyway. What is the problem with leaving a crappy dive bar with a band playing the same tired covers anyway? That's the only places these things pop up. I've never seen one at a 'real' concert setting or any upscale nightclubs.

With rock bands fading into the background in favor of DJs, we have to wonder why. One of my guesses: lack of unique, dynamic sound production. Part of the mystique and exciting factors when you saw bands back in the day is the sound they bring to the table - like.. Pearl Jam's guitarists.. they weren't out there using the cheapest gear possible. Those guys were using Plexi's and modded JCM's. Sure, the average audience member doesn't know amps and gear, but I think that we all subconsciously pickup on the liveliness and dynamic character of the music.

/rant

tl;dr - buy a $200 bedroom amp if you want. That's exactly what it will sound like. Anybody saying "best amp evar" or "beats my Twin Reverbs tone" is blowing smoke in your face. Again.. what do I know about these amps, well, I have one at my work that I hear every day. Also, when you watch reviews, don't confuse good TECHNIQUE with what tone is.
      ROCK ON.

Comment

Originally posted by blind1 View Post
        With rock bands fading into the background in favor of DJs, we have to wonder why.
        Maybe it has to do with people walking out of their early cover band gigs with their Boss Katanas . . . so they just don't see much future in playing guitar. :P
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Anybody saying "best amp evar" or "beats my Twin Reverbs tone" is blowing smoke in your face.
          No one said that. I own an old Super Reverb, and don't expect the Katana to make me sell it.

Again.. what do I know about these amps, well, I have one at my work that I hear every day. Also, when you watch reviews, don't confuse good TECHNIQUE with what tone is.
          I've been a dyed-in-the-wool tube snob since I got the Super. Zero interest in digital whatsoever. Last year, I was sitting in a brewery listening to a band. They played a range of covers, Tom Petty, Allmans, Black Crowes, and originals of that sort. Spent an hour being really impressed by their tones, really good dirty rock sound. Went over to see what they were using, and both had Katana 100s.

Appreciate the heads up on the difference between technique and tone, but I've been at this for a minute, so I'm aware.
          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

You might check out the Artist version of the Katana, in the side by side comparisons it seems to be a much better choice for a little more $.

Comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
              I strongly prefer the sound and options of the Katana 100 over the 50. After trying both, I found the 100 was worth the small increase in price for the extra options and better factory speaker. Also, the amp is still very reasonable weight-wise.
              Probably, was just making reference that a Katana 100 not sounding good was more my problem than the amp.
              Ended with the Katana 50 as the Katana 100 was too much for my needs (power, weight, size, money), playing 90% of the time at 0.5w and 10% at 25w.
              Fun little amp to play with, very responsive.

Comment

Gate-keep much bro? Maybe re-read because that's not what was said anyway. What is the problem with leaving a crappy dive bar with a band playing the same tired covers anyway? That's the only places these things pop up. I've never seen one at a 'real' concert setting or any upscale nightclubs.

With rock bands fading into the background in favor of DJs, we have to wonder why. One of my guesses: lack of unique, dynamic sound production. Part of the mystique and exciting factors when you saw bands back in the day is the sound they bring to the table - like.. Pearl Jam's guitarists.. they weren't out there using the cheapest gear possible. Those guys were using Plexi's and modded JCM's. Sure, the average audience member doesn't know amps and gear, but I think that we all subconsciously pickup on the liveliness and dynamic character of the music.
                The other day, the opening act for a thousand seater concert was using a Katana 50w, he was sounding as good as the other bands.
                Not everybody can play a cranked Plexi or a modded JCM, we are not all playing stadium and big arenas.
                I also play bass and no way the guitar player is gonna cranked a 50w/100w stack in my ears in room/clubs we play.

Comment

Dave Friedman was talking **** about modelers on his podcast recently (episode with Rabea Massaad). He sounded like an idiot, saying things like modelers don’t respond to volume knob tweaking on the guitar, and that you can’t get feedback with them. He went on to talk about how wrong it is for modeling companies to use the intellectual property of others. Funny thing for someone whose basically making souped up Marshalls to say.
                  “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                    Dave Friedman was talking **** about modelers on his podcast recently (episode with Rabea Massaad). He sounded like an idiot, saying things like modelers don’t respond to volume knob tweaking on the guitar, and that you can’t get feedback with them. He went on to talk about how wrong it is for modeling companies to use the intellectual property of others. Funny thing for someone whose basically making souped up Marshalls to say.
                    I sure hope Friedman doesn't make anything like a Mashall Plexi . . . which is a pretty damn near exact copy of a Bassman. :P
                    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                      I sure hope Friedman doesn't make anything like a Mashall Plexi . . . which is a pretty damn near exact copy of a Bassman. :P
                      It’s an interesting topic, and to be fair, Friedman did admit the potential similarities in the idea of someone modeling and modifying a circuit. Just thought his opinion was at the very least overly dismissive.

Comment

I'm not a huge fan of Friedman. His amps sound great, but the high school locker room names kinda kill it for me. Kinda like Nickelback, guys in their 40s writing songs about being in the backseat of their girlfriend's daddy's car.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                          I'm not a huge fan of Friedman. His amps sound great, but the high school locker room names kinda kill it for me. Kinda like Nickelback, guys in their 40s writing songs about being in the backseat of their girlfriend's daddy's car.
                          Agreed about the names. I’m not a prude by any means, but I’d feel like an idiot telling someone I had a Pink Taco.

Here’s the podcast in question. Skip to about an hour and 33 minutes in. Rabea starts it by asking Friedman’s opinion on modeling.

Last edited by JB_From_Hell; 04-11-2019, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                            Agreed about the names. I’m not a prude by any means, but I’d feel like an idiot telling someone I had a Pink Taco.

Here’s the podcast in question. Skip to about an hour and 33 minutes in. Rabea starts it by asking Friedman’s opinion on modeling.

I'll have to check it out, I love Rabea's playing, seems like a cool guy too, for a young 'un.

Yeah, but I pretty much just play in church now (which doesn't make me a prude), and with some 20 somethings, I can just imagine them asking what kind of amp I'm playing, then trying to explain what a Pink Taco, or worse, a Dirty Shirley is without getting thrown out.
                            Last edited by devastone; 04-11-2019, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Have you heard Rabea’s band Toska? Instrumental metal, great guitar tones, more aggressive riffing and atmospheric than shreddy. It’s very, very good. I’ve only recently started paying attention to him, but I’m a big fan. Definitely seems like a cool guy.

Comment

I'll have to look up Toska, but yeah, he seems like a cool guy. I have his solo stuff on my phone - https://rabeamassaad.bandcamp.com/releases

Speaking of Rabea and the Katana, here are some reviews he has done of the Artist and the 50.

BOSS | Katana Artist AmplifierCheck it out here: https://www.boss.info/us/products/katana-artist/The all new Katana Artist amplifier is a game changing, vers...

My Favourite Practice Amp | BOSS Katana 50Get one here: http://bit.ly/2kYvyukThese are incredible value for money! I'm honestly so happy to own one. All thes...

Comment

Working...
                                X