Gibson guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson guy

My dad was a big Gibson fan, and we spent a lot of time over the years with me telling him why I preferred Fender or PRS. He'd acknowledge objective points about build quality, but always stuck with Gibson. After getting a couple PRS guitars a few years ago, I became even more devout in my beliefs, and he would readily acknowledge how nice the PRS guitars were, how great they sounded, their consistent quality, etc...

After he passed away recently, I inherited his instruments. Among them three Gibson guitars (1967 SJ acoustic, 1952 ES-175, 1962 Les Paul), two mandolins (1901 A, 2016 F-5), and an RB-250 banjo. It was tempting to hang onto the RB-250, as it's nicer than anything I could afford to buy, but I gave it to the banjo player in his band. I'm looking at all these and can't help but feel maybe my dad finally got the last word and won the "argument," by turning me into a Gibson guy
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Re: Gibson guy

RIP to a real one. I bet that 62 is incredible.
    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Bwahahahaha - fiendish. I like your dad. RIP.

"I leave jr. my 62 LP. It is expensive as &^$%%, and he likes PRS, but it was mine so he'll never sell it!"
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

In my experience, when a Gibson is right... it is tough to beat. I am sorry for your father's passing, but as Ace said... looks like your dad is having the last laugh!
        Soundcloud

Comment

PRS guys think perfect is just adequate
          Gibson guys think adequate is just perfect

Comment

Originally posted by vinta9e View Post
            PRS guys think perfect is just adequate
            Gibson guys think adequate is just perfect
            HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Comment

Again, very sorry for your loss...

You’ve been using the ‘62 and the Super Reverb for a while, right?
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                You’ve been using the ‘62 and the Super Reverb for a while, right?
                Yeah, I’ve had those and the ES-175 for 3 or 4 years. At the moment, I’m back in full-bluegrass mode, so that F-5 and SJ are getting the most love.

Another honorable mention should go to the squareneck 1980 Dobro Model 66. It’s from shortly before Gibson acquiring the Dobro brand, but I’ve been playing it a lot, too. Yesterday, I found out he was really good friends with Frank Harlow, a local guy who happens to be one of the biggest names in the reso-building world. I’m gonna take it to him and have it setup and upgraded with Frank’s saddles, spider, come, and nut. From what I’m told, it’ll end up playing and sounding like a million bucks afterward. Frank said maybe we could pick a little, too, so I’m pretty psyched about that.
                “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
                  RIP to a real one. I bet that 62 is incredible.
                  Hit me up if you’re ever in the Dayton, Ohio area. I’d be more than happy to let you take it for a spin.

Comment

Working...
                  X