Duncan pickup that sounds like a Tone Zone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan pickup that sounds like a Tone Zone

My favorite bridge pickup is the DiMarzio Tone Zone. I put in a Duncan Sh11 (Custom Custom) into the bridge of an LP to go with an Alnico II Pro in the neck. Love the Alnico II Pro, but the Sh11 is just ok. Should have just gone with the tried and True Tone Zone - better clean and distorted tone. I’d like to take advantage of the Duncan exchange program, but don’t know which pickup to get. Does Duncan make something similar to the Tone Zone? Thanks!

Re: Duncan pickup that sounds like a Tone Zone

I mean, if you like the TZ, get a TZ. I would also suggest maybe an A2P or Slash in the bridge. You will have a similar eq profile and change of flavor from what you normally like.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk
    "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

I want to exchange the Sh11 through Duncan. That’s why I’m asking about a Duncan pickup that sounds similar.

Comment

Originally posted by NJLK View Post
        I want to exchange the Sh11 through Duncan. That’s why I’m asking about a Duncan pickup that sounds similar.
        Nothing really. You may like an Alternative 8 though. Lot of bass and mids like the TZ.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk
        "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

I agree that there isn't really a direct TZ alternative through Duncan. The JB or Black Winter may get you in that territory in terms of output and application, but they are not all that similar.

It's a little like getting dumped and trying to find a girl who's similar to your ex. You can surely find another girl with red hair and a nice fanny, but her personality will surely be a bit different and she may not be into that thing you used to do with your ex.

You can easily use both duncan and dimarzio though - just check the conversion wiring color codes through Google.
          Last edited by Nagisa; 02-17-2020, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Try an Alternative 8.

Comment

Thanks for everyone’s input. I spoke to a Seymour Duncan tech and asked about the Alternative 8, JB, Duncan Distortion, etc. his recommendation was to go with the Slash version of the Alnico II Pro, as it’s got more output and more mids and bass than the standard Alnico II Pro. So, that’s what I went with. If that doesn’t work, I’ll just go with the Tone Zone.

For what it’s worth, his opinion was that the pickups mentioned above wouldn’t really have good clean tones and the Slash pickup is one of their overall most versatile. So...we’ll see.

Thanks again!

Comment

The Slash is a far cry from the "Tone Zone" in many ways, so that's why it wasn't mentioned, but you might really like it! The Slash bridge is full sounding with a bit of that "pushed PAF" character. Very versatile and should sound great next to the regular A2Pro in the neck. Let us know how it works out!

Comment

The JB is quite similar to the Tone Zone flipped upside down (brighter way to run the Tone Zone).
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

JB with an A2 magnet in it is more similar to a Tone Zone than the regular JB, or any of the other pickups you mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. B View Post
                      JB with an A2 magnet in it is more similar to a Tone Zone than the regular JB, or any of the other pickups you mentioned.
                      Hmmm, have you actually tried that combination? sound like an interesting experiment. I think the Tone Zone uses an A5 magnet. Doesn’t it? Would it make sense to try a JB with an A5?

Comment

The JB comes stock with an A5. An A2 lowers the output and rounds out the tone, smoothing out the JB noticeably. It's not a bad suggestion, but I would go ahead and try the Slash if you've already initiated the exchange. You may find that the Slash delivers much of what you like about the Tone Zone, but with a little different attitude and character.

Comment

To my ears the JB and Tone Zone sound so flat and dull played dead clean, add a little bit of grit and they liven up though. The Slash is great, and will really cover a lot of ground, if it's still not enough output, then an alternative 8 or custom 8 ( custom sh-5 with an A8 magnet) will add some power and low mids to your LP. But the good news about the Slash bridge, for an A2 type pickup it can handle a lot of gain before it mushes out!

Comment

A JB is often flat and boring but in the right guitar is sings, screams and howls with very decent cleans. And with right guitar I mean, a tele.

For the TS: a JB alnico II sounds about right to me. The Tonezone has a 17K wind, which leads me to believe that (at least) one coil is 44awg, like the JB. But, the baseplate is brass. That bleeds off so much high end it's not funny anymore. In other words, an alnico II will get you in the same tonal ball park but not exactly the same.

Comment

Tone Zone / Distortion ≠ Duncan

Those are unique DiMarzio sounding pups. I own both. Just get a TZ if you like it.
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                              X