Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I think I've found my new default guitar pick

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    I get mine custom made by IntuneGP. Jazz III shape, with textured delrin, 1.1mm.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]101765[/ATTACH]
    I realize that’s a Merlin/wizard hat (which is really cool, by the way), but at first glance it looked like a piece of pizza to me!

I must be hungry… better find something to eat soon... [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by The Commodores?
    "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

Originally posted by Francois View Post
      I confirm this is a great pic : the tortex yellow 73. I used exclusively the orange and the yellow tortex in my previous band (Tear of a Doll) for years.

But now my thumb is shot and I switched to the red one and the three sided Herdim (blue and red) which are great for versatility : each corner have a different thickness.

The Ultex sounds really nice but I cannot use it too long.
      I use the Tortex Yellow exclusively when playing electric. For acoustic, I rotate mostly between yellow, orange and red Tortex depending on the song. However, I have every Tortex thickness available in the compartment of my acoustic cases.
      I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

I use Ernie Ball prodigy picks. 1.5 mm but the edge is really nicely beveled and sharpened so it doesn't feel thick. Basically a fancy/pointy jazz pick.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Comment

Pretty much these all the time now. I can reshape the tip after they get rounded as well

-Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
          “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Originally posted by BriGuy1968 View Post
            I realize that’s a Merlin/wizard hat (which is really cool, by the way), but at first glance it looked like a piece of pizza to me!

I must be hungry… better find something to eat soon... [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Yes! I call it the pizza hat guy!
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              thats been my favorite for years and still is one of two picks i buy. the other being a ultex .88. used to get the ultex sharp .90 since they didnt do an 88. i may try some tiii .88 soon though for giggles. i can use other picks but the green tortex always feel good
              Have you tried the Tortex Flex? I used the regular green .88 almost since I started playing, tried different ones, always went back. The Flex claims to be more flexible like nylon, but they feel a little more substantial. After 25 years of the green, I think the Flex has won me over.
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I found a new love for the Tortex Sharp. Such an awesome pick. Size .88 green and 1.0 blue.
                ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

I use one size down from that (0.90). I've been using Ultex for over a decade now. I really like how they're stiff without being thick. I don't want a ton of flex, but I also hate a thick edge.

I used both the 0.60 and 0.73s in the regular Ultex, but decided to move up a bit for the Sharps, since they taper their thickness a little. The 0.90 sharp feels very similar to the 0.73 regular.

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
                  Pretty much these all the time now. I can reshape the tip after they get rounded as well

---------------------------
                  The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                    Have you tried the Tortex Flex? I used the regular green .88 almost since I started playing, tried different ones, always went back. The Flex claims to be more flexible like nylon, but they feel a little more substantial. After 25 years of the green, I think the Flex has won me over.
                    i dont really want any more flex, what i like about the green tortex is the stiffness/feel/tone. stiff, not too thick, and just the right amount of percussiveness. there are times when i want a bit more stiffness and percussiveness which is why i like the ultex too.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                      i dont really want any more flex, what i like about the green tortex is the stiffness/feel/tone. stiff, not too thick, and just the right amount of percussiveness. there are times when i want a bit more stiffness and percussiveness which is why i like the ultex too.
                      Would’ve said all the same things before trying them. If you see a small pack for cheap, give them a shot. If you hate it, I’ll buy them off you. I’m gonna start carrying a few, and giving one to everybody I see with a green.
                      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

ill grab some if i see em in the store and give em a whirl

Comment

This new batch of custom logo picks are about 1mm thick and work surprisingly well despite they have promotion purpose. I have no idea about the material but for rigidity they rival my fav Ultex and are pretty durable. Maybe a little thinner than my preferred 2mm but still pretty functional.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-10-31-5948.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	5817474
                          Wackor
                          Ørdøg
                          NecroPolo
                          Diabolus in Musica
                          SIDrip Alliance
                          Book of Shadows
                          RKH

Comment

I love Ultex but I can't use them. I have sweaty hands and within 5 minutes the pick is slipping around everywhere and unusable. I can use Tortex for hours and never have that problem. But the problem I have with Tortex is they last maybe 2 hours of play before they're so worn they're unusable (I like fresh picks with sharp edges). Ultex practically don't wear at all but there's that sweat problem. So for now I'm sticking with Tortex

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

you could scuff up the part of the ultex you hold onto

Comment

Interesting. I too have sweaty hands and have historically had some difficulty holding on to picks, but find the ultex to be naturally pretty grippy out of the packaging. With play, they seem to get a bit more slick, but nothing unmanageable.

Everyone is different (as evidenced by this thread).

Originally posted by BeKindRewind View Post
                                I love Ultex but I can't use them. I have sweaty hands and within 5 minutes the pick is slipping around everywhere and unusable. I can use Tortex for hours and never have that problem. But the problem I have with Tortex is they last maybe 2 hours of play before they're so worn they're unusable (I like fresh picks with sharp edges). Ultex practically don't wear at all but there's that sweat problem. So for now I'm sticking with Tortex

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
                                ---------------------------
                                The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Working...
                                X