Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star of the Morning

Bear with me.

This is an idea I've had kicking around in the back of my head for a month or so. My wife is into much more aggressive music than I am, and wanted me to do a downtuned metal song with some satanic elements and angry guitars. I gave it a try. Gainy stuff is not my thing. Kinda ended up with uh . . . the opposite. A regular tuned disco song? But it's in C harmonic minor, that counts for some evil points right? I was really trying to run with the Satan, thing . . .

:P

Other than that, pretty happy with this song. It's fun to play at least.

http://sclk.co/r/s89rht

As always, constructive criticism is welcome.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Re: Star of the Morning

Your wife sounds cool.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice jazz fusion.
      Satanic down tuned metal...
      Love the clean funk sound though.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice funky thing. Not too much on the evil side but definitely not a cheerful tune either. As long as you have fun playing it I think your woman is okay with that.

Just out of complete coincidence, I produced an album early this year for a band called "The Morning Star". It is some very gentle relaxing ambient music.

Wackor
        Ørdøg
        NecroPolo
        Diabolus in Musica
        SIDrip Alliance
        Book of Shadows
        RKH

Comment

Originally posted by NecroPolo View Post
          Nice funky thing. Not too much on the evil side but definitely not a cheerful tune either. As long as you have fun playing it I think your woman is okay with that.

Just out of complete coincidence, I produced an album early this year for a band called "The Morning Star". It is some very gentle relaxing ambient music.

Ha, I'll send my wife a link to your album. More in the vein of what she was looking for I think. (I knew things were going wrong when I looked through my notes and realized that no bridge pickups had been used in the recording of the song.) :P
          Last edited by GuitarStv; 06-30-2019, 07:23 AM.

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Aww, the bridge pickup! You need a guitar with bridge pickup only for the job

I feel for you bro'. I had a flip-side situation ages ago, with an extremely shy soft-spoken and empathic girl. Me, well, not so much made of such fabric. She asked me to write a song for her. I tried my best to put a leash on the beast, I really did. Well, it made her cry. Not of joy. Well... Girls are not easy.
            Wackor
            Ørdøg
            NecroPolo
            Diabolus in Musica
            SIDrip Alliance
            Book of Shadows
            RKH

Comment

What's your wife's number? got to ask her a question...

seriously though, Totally no my cup of tea unless some witty yet drug addled Ween like lyrics were splattered across it. Then I'd probably be all over it.
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Everyone stay the hell away from my wife! She picked her musician ages ago and is now stuck with him. :P

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                  Everyone stay the hell away from my wife! She picked her musician ages ago and is now stuck with him. :P
                  Bro' the missus of a fellow axeman is a sacred forbidden entity :O

Especially who are hard hitting music fans. Sacred, rare forbidden entities.

...You lucky bastard
                  Wackor
                  Ørdøg
                  NecroPolo
                  Diabolus in Musica
                  SIDrip Alliance
                  Book of Shadows
                  RKH

Comment

OK, after a couple days listening to this mix I feel like the rhythm guitar is a bit too loud (and maybe a hair too bright). I also feel like it would sound better with just a touch of 2:1 compression over the whole final mixdown. Mostly happy with the bass and drum sounds (it was tricky getting the slap bass part to play nice with the fingerpicked bass part . . . almost like mixing different instruments). Thoughts?

Comment

The guitar arpeggios for the intro and outro remind me of Michelle by The Beatles. I really like the rhythm work but feel that maybe there should be another melodic element during the verses? Guitar tone is nice. Not sure about the bass guitar, it doesn't feel like it's in the pocket. I liked it!
                      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback!

Recently been consciously trying to limit the number of tracks on recordings I do to just a drums, bass, and guitar trio because some of the earlier recordings I made were way too cluttered. I agree with you though, the verse is maybe a bit too samey. Will have to have a long think on how to change things up a bit in the future.

I was happy with the bass lines that were written written, but agree with you after a few listens. There are definitely a few spots where it's a little rhythmically off. I'll have to practice some more and re-record.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                          Thanks for the feedback!

Recently been consciously trying to limit the number of tracks on recordings I do to just a drums, bass, and guitar trio because some of the earlier recordings I made were way too cluttered. I agree with you though, the verse is maybe a bit too samey. Will have to have a long think on how to change things up a bit in the future.

I was happy with the bass lines that were written written, but agree with you after a few listens. There are definitely a few spots where it's a little rhythmically off. I'll have to practice some more and re-record.
                          Funny you mention making the recording more stripped down. When I listened to this the other day I came close to commenting that I felt that too much was missing.

Comment

Working...
                          X