1Spot power supply? Never again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1Spot power supply? Never again.

Your case is an unusual case of bad luck I think. Sorry to hear.

I've had the same 1-Spot daisy chain for 10 years and only time it has ever failed me was when my pedalboard exceeded its rated output. I still use it for my smaller pedalboard and a 1-Spot Pro CS-7 powers my main pedalboard now.

Comment

Originally posted by B2D View Post
      Occasional 1-spot user here. When I was using mine to power an entire pedalboard with a daisy chain I never had issues. I still have mine for gigs where I only use 1-2 pedals but those few are usually pretty power-hungry units.

You seem to have all the obvious problems covered. I'm at a loss on this one.

Have you tried contacting Visual Sound directly? The odds of having 2 defective ones in a row is astronomically low.
      I have not contacted the manufacturer. This just happened over the weekend. As you say, the odds seemed low to me to get two bad ones in a row. I now have reservations about the retailer and the manufacturer.
      $%^/ happens. I was reminded to never assume good quality.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Truetone put out a small, wall wart style, regulated, switching supply with the One Spot that can output 1.7 amps. At the time, I don't think there was anything else like it that would run an entire board quietly, for most users. A standard, wall wart switching supply would have been a noise factory. Linear, regulated wall wart style supplies could only output maybe 100 - 200ma. To this day, thousands of players power their entire boards, or large portions of their boards with One Spots. Without issue. They have their limitations. For example, some pedals don't get along with them and you cant run a positive center pedal in the chain. But they are an inexpensive solution that has worked and still works for the majority of people who use them. Now, Truetone has come out with isolated "bricks" based on the switching technology and done so at a price below those of the other brand name manufacturers. I have a Pro CS12 that is every bit as quiet as the Voodoo lab or any other isolated brick that I have used in the past.

I don't work for Trutetone and I have zero affiliation with them. But I think they deserve some credit because they have been innovators, at least in some small way. That's not to say that they cannot put out defective products. Very likely that there will be a dud from time to time. Perhaps they have had a bad batch slip through on occasion. But I wouldn't discount the entire company. Their popularity and success seems to have been earned.

Comment

I had a One Spot which I accidentally dropped a few times. It started rattling. One day, I plugged it in, and it didn't work. Not only did it not work, it took my tuner and my Tube Screamer with it. Granted, it was more my fault for repeatedly dropping it, though, not TrueTone's (at the time, Visual Sound), but that's my One Spot anecdote.

I replaced it with a Godlyke Power All.

Comment

The only time I can recall a product failing to work twice in a row is when the store replaced mine with someone else's return that they repackaged. Still rare.

Comment

Originally posted by johnthomas View Post
              I have not contacted the manufacturer. This just happened over the weekend. As you say, the odds seemed low to me to get two bad ones in a row. I now have reservations about the retailer and the manufacturer.

I think I might have a boss-brand Power supply that is much more powerful than the standard PSA 120.

I’ll check the mA when I get home and if it looks like it might work for you then you can have it for the cost of shipping if you’re in the US. Stay tuned

Comment

Originally posted by Darg1911 View Post
                Truetone put out a small, wall wart style, regulated, switching supply with the One Spot that can output 1.7 amps. At the time, I don't think there was anything else like it that would run an entire board quietly, for most users. A standard, wall wart switching supply would have been a noise factory. Linear, regulated wall wart style supplies could only output maybe 100 - 200ma. To this day, thousands of players power their entire boards, or large portions of their boards with One Spots. Without issue. They have their limitations. For example, some pedals don't get along with them and you cant run a positive center pedal in the chain. But they are an inexpensive solution that has worked and still works for the majority of people who use them. Now, Truetone has come out with isolated "bricks" based on the switching technology and done so at a price below those of the other brand name manufacturers. I have a Pro CS12 that is every bit as quiet as the Voodoo lab or any other isolated brick that I have used in the past.

I don't work for Trutetone and I have zero affiliation with them. But I think they deserve some credit because they have been innovators, at least in some small way. That's not to say that they cannot put out defective products. Very likely that there will be a dud from time to time. Perhaps they have had a bad batch slip through on occasion. But I wouldn't discount the entire company. Their popularity and success seems to have been earned.
                I've only had to rely on their support once and I've owned at least one version of nearly every pedal. The one time I did have a defective product it was swiftly dealt with. I don't think the 1-spot has the same warranty that their V2 and V3 series pedals have, but I'm sure they would try to help. Standup bunch of guys from what I've witnessed in their Facebook user's group.Bob Weil even chimes in to offer advise and tips from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by johnthomas View Post

If you haven't yet, from past experience, I recommend reaching out to them. Maybe a bad batch got out. The one time I needed their support, they took real good care of me. First gave advise how to solve a problem I had with a pedal and when that didn't work they replaced it with a brand new one. It arrived a week later. Not bad considering most items I buy from US takes longer than the items I have shipped from China.

Comment

I think I might have a boss-brand Power supply that is much more powerful than the standard PSA 120.

I’ll check the mA when I get home and if it looks like it might work for you then you can have it for the cost of shipping if you’re in the US. Stay tuned
                    Thanks very much for your kind offer.
                    Surprised to hear Boss has a high milliamp power supply. That is very cool. I never needed a high power supply. Just bought the 1Spot because it was as cheap as most standard one pedal power supplies.(usually 300 milliamp or less) My
                    problem was solved by reclaiming a Boss supply a friend was borrowing.

Comment

On a side note, Fulltone has discontinued their linear wall wart power supplies and gone to switched supplies. They were only 100ma supplies but they were quiet. I have a couple other linear, regulated supplies but the Fulltone is the quietest. Those transformer based linear wall warts are becoming very scarce. Everyone is going to switching supplies. Smaller, lighter, cheaper, higher current capacity .... but the general purpose ones are noisy.

Comment

That is weird about the 1 Spot, it's just a basic 9V switching supply, but I've had a couple for about 10 years with not problems.

The only times I've had noise issues was when I used the same 1 Spot on pedals in front and in the loop of the amp, pretty sure it was because of a ground loop created by putting the amp in the middle. No problems otherwise.

Comment

Never a problem. Yeah - a couple of odd pedals it wouldn't run (EHX anyone?) but I knew that wasn't likely. Ran a gig board with two of them for a couple of years; Boss, Joyo, Digitech, Ibanez, MXr...all fine.
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                            The only times I've had noise issues was when I used the same 1 Spot on pedals in front and in the loop of the amp, pretty sure it was because of a ground loop created by putting the amp in the middle. No problems otherwise.
                            I actually used it that way too... powering drive pedals in front of the amp and mod pedals in the loop. Never had noise issues though.

Comment

I actually used it that way too... powering drive pedals in front of the amp and mod pedals in the loop. Never had noise issues though.
                              Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was from the amp, not the power supply. Can't remember what amp it was now though.

Comment

The godlyke power all basic-kits are still on $21 price-drop at MF. That's only $19! (after you get the over$49-discount)
                                I needed a few pedal jumps anyway so it got me to $50 (roland black-series 1fts for $8.50 after code, nice snazzy-looking jumpers)

Comment

Working...
                                X