banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better technology-so why are tube amps here ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Better technology-so why are tube amps here ?

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
    This is exactly why I ended up with my Traynor. It does a pretty good BF type sound on the clean channel, and a decent lo-gain Marshall-y thing on the gain side. Pretty much checks all the boxes I want from an amp. And it still feels like option overload sometimes.

:P
    You have a YBA-1? (Is that the model #...the Canadian Plexi?). Great amp... I’ve been gassing for one for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
      You have a YBA-1? (Is that the model #...the Canadian Plexi?). Great amp... I’ve been gassing for one for a while.
      Nope. YCV-40wr. I did have an old YGM-3 for a while, which was a pretty nice sounding amp, but didn't have the clean headroom I wanted. I've played two YBA heads, both sounded pretty nice!
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Nope. YCV-40wr. I did have an old YGM-3 for a while, which was a pretty nice sounding amp, but didn't have the clean headroom I wanted. I've played two YBA heads, both sounded pretty nice!
        I used to know an amp tech who had a YBA-1 that he'd modded with a PPIV master and the channels cascaded instead of run in parallel. It sounded like the meanest bastard child of a Marshall and Orange Overdrive you've ever heard. And of course he wouldn't sell it
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
          I used to know an amp tech who had a YBA-1 that he'd modded with a PPIV master and the channels cascaded instead of run in parallel. It sounded like the meanest bastard child of a Marshall and Orange Overdrive you've ever heard. And of course he wouldn't sell it
          My JCM 800 is at a local tech as we speak. I had him add a PPIMV, zero loss fx loop and he reworked the preamp section to have 6 gain stages. lol.
          I’m going to have him add a switchable clean channel as well.

Comment

Better is a value statement which is dependent on personal opinion. There is newer technology though. There's nothing saying that you can't mix new materials in a tube amplifier to achieve designs that are more energy efficient, lower noise, lighter, have a wider range of tones, and have more consistent quality.

Comment

My JCM 800 is at a local tech as we speak. I had him add a PPIMV, zero loss fx loop and he reworked the preamp section to have 6 gain stages. lol.
              I’m going to have him add a switchable clean channel as well.
              Six gain stages? At that point it's pretty much a different amp!
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

• Better technology-so why are tube amps here ?

Six gain stages? At that point it's pretty much a different amp!
                I haven’t gotten it back yet and it had a chance to play it. I had asked him to make it high gain. A stock JCM is 3 gain stages so it should sound the same (afaik no component values are changed unless he deemed necessary etc), just be a fire breather.

We had talked about going with either 5 or 6 stages.
                He had an amp that he built for himself at his house that was switchable between different channels that used either 5 or six. That amp sounded incredible. I figured if six stages was too much I could just turn the gain knob down!! Better to have plenty on tap then not enough if you wanted more.

That was my thought process anyway.
                Last edited by Gtrjunior; 10-08-2019, 10:58 AM.

Comment

three to five or six is a big change, should be a firebreather for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                    Traynor's are the easiest amps to Mod too, flip the top open and it's like a dinner plate for Modding....
                    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

[B]Somehow , I don't believe repairs are something to worry about with things like Kemper..or most modellers. unless you drop one on the floor. Roland are very reliable. The real issue in the long term, is this; Having profiled your favourite tube amp (s) and the Kemper then gives you the same sound and feel without tubes and all that heat ...when will you use those amps again ? Will they sit in a dark corner never to see light of day? I can see it happening. Personally, I have 1 tube & SS modellers which combined cost less than a Kemper.
                      Last edited by Gold star; 10-12-2019, 04:45 AM.

Comment

I saw Babymetal and Nickelback concerts (separately) and they mostly likely used profiling gear. It really didn't sound good.
                        Crash49 - my music on amazon and itunes
                        http://a.co/8ht5Qes

Comment

conversely, I saw Black Sabbath and Yngwie Malmsteen and they had tube amps and sounded awesome.
                          Crash49 - my music on amazon and itunes
                          http://a.co/8ht5Qes

Comment

Well, I can name various examples of both...that doesn't mean one is better, either. I've seen plenty of bands with tube gear that sounded bad, and modeling which sounded great. A concert is a less-than-ideal location to hear the differences due to the sound going through various components, effects and eqs by the time it gets to your ears.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                              Well, I can name various examples of both...that doesn't mean one is better, either. I've seen plenty of bands with tube gear that sounded bad, and modeling which sounded great. A concert is a less-than-ideal location to hear the differences due to the sound going through various components, effects and eqs by the time it gets to your ears.
                              +1

IMO a bad sounding gig says more about the person running FOH than the gear being used.
                              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Working...
                              X