• HSS Wiring Help / 500k resistor 250k

I'm doing a custom build. HSS

Bridge: Humbucker: TB11 Custom Custom
    Middle: Single: Mojotone Clone
    Neck: Single: Mojotone Clone
    1 Vol 500K
    1 Tone (???K Not decided)
    5 Way Switch CRL

I need some help with a wiring diagram. I've found one that's pretty close. Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiring.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	5835451 This has the auto split (for position 4, I believe). I want the humbucker to see 500k and the single coils to see 250k using a single 500k volume control. I've found the following on another forum.

"if you use a single pot shared between humbuckers and single coils you could use a 500k pot and add fixed 500k resistors from the 'hot' end of each single coil to ground meaning that your 500k pot will become a 250k pot when switched to single coil settings. Best of both worlds."

"use a 500k volume pot to get the most out of the humbucker then use 500k resistors on the switch for the single coils - this brings the volume pot value down to 250k (500k pot in parallel with 500k fixed resistor to ground = 250k) on the single coil settings meaning that the single coil tones are not overly bright"

Can anyone show me how this is done? Where exactly would the resistor/s be placed? And where the 500k resistors can be purchased? And what value should I use for the tone pot? Much Thanks!

Re: HSS Wiring Help / 500k resistor 250k

Here is how it would look like on the basis of your schematic:

Click image for larger version

Name:	HSSwrring&Resistors.jpg
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	5782166

FYI. 500k is not a standard value. The best thing to do is to measure 470k or 510k resistors in order to find those with a value a bit "off", close to 500k (it's not rare to find a 470k measuring 490k or a 510k @ 504k, for example). EDIT: and of course, it's easy to make a 500 resistor with two 1M in parallel.

I'd not mount a tone pot measuring less than 500k with a HB but why not?

For the record, I post below what the pickups "see" in a standard Strat wiring and what is their load with the wiring above, if 510k resistors are used.

Standard strat wiring
    1-Bridge : 250k (volume alone)
    2-Bridge & mid: 250k // to 250k (volume and mid tone) = 125k
    3-Mid: volume and mid tone = 125k
    4-Mid & neck: volume & mid + neck tones = 250k in parallel 3 times = 83,3k
    5-Neck = volume & neck tone = 125k

510k resistors in parallel with mid and neck pickups (500k volume and master tone):
    1-Bridge: 500k volume // to 500k master tone = 250k
    2-Bridge & mid: 500k volume // to 500k master tone // to 510k resistor = 167,7k
    3-Mid: same thing, 167,7k
    4-Mid & neck: 500k volume // to 500k master tone // to 510k resistor // to 2d 510k resistor = 126,2k
    5-Neck: : 500k volume // to 500k master tone // to 510k resistor = 167,7k

NOTES
    -I often use this trick. It comes from Bill Lawrence (RIP).
    -Added resistors change how the volume pot react: the sound becomes duller when the volume is lowered. That said: 1) you can mount a treble bleed on the volume control to overcome that downside and 2) the load with 510k resistors gives slightly more brightness to the SC's than a standard Strat wiring. So the darkening effect of the volume once lowered shouldn't be an issue (at least it is not an issue for me when I wire a guitar like that personally).

Hope to be useful. Enjoy!
    Last edited by freefrog; 01-04-2015, 03:03 AM.
    Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

This one is pretty much the same

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	5782167
      I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by freefrog View Post
        Here is how it would look like on the basis of your schematic:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]59964[/ATTACH]

FYI. 500k is not a standard value. The best thing to do is to measure 470k or 510k resistors in order to find those with a value a bit "off", close to 500k (it's not rare to find a 470k measuring 490k or a 510k @ 504k, for example). EDIT: and of course, it's easy to make a 500 resistor with two 1M in parallel.

I'd not mount a tone pot measuring less than 500k with a HB but why not?

For the record, I post below what the pickups "see" in a standard Strat wiring and what is their load with the wiring above, if 510k resistors are used.

Standard strat wiring
        1-Bridge : 250k (volume alone)
        2-Bridge & mid: 250k // to 250k (volume and mid tone) = 125k
        3-Mid: volume and mid tone = 125k
        4-Mid & neck: volume & mid + neck tones = 250k in parallel 3 times = 83,3k
        5-Neck = volume & neck tone = 125k

510k resistors in parallel with mid and neck pickups (500k volume and master tone):
        1-Bridge: 500k volume // to 500k master tone = 250k
        2-Bridge & mid: 500k volume // to 500k master tone // to 510k resistor = 167,7k
        3-Mid: same thing, 167,7k
        4-Mid & neck: 500k volume // to 500k master tone // to 510k resistor // to 2d 510k resistor = 126,2k
        5-Neck: : 500k volume // to 500k master tone // to 510k resistor = 167,7k

NOTES
        -I often use this trick. It comes from Bill Lawrence (RIP).
        -Added resistors change how the volume pot react: the sound becomes duller when the volume is lowered. That said: 1) you can mount a treble bleed on the volume control to overcome that downside and 2) the load with 510k resistors gives slightly more brightness to the SC's than a standard Strat wiring. So the darkening effect of the volume once lowered shouldn't be an issue (at least it is not an issue for me when I wire a guitar like that personally).

Hope to be useful. Enjoy!
        Much thanks!

So these resistors just go to ground, right?
        Could I simply soldier the resistors to the lug opposite side of the 5 way switch that goes to ground on the volume pot?

Comment

The diagram shows a .047 cap at a 250k tone pot. Is that what I would still use for a 500k tone pot?

Does this look right for the resistors?

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by Richie SR9 View Post
            Much thanks!

So these resistors just go to ground, right?
            Could I simply soldier the resistors to the lug opposite side of the 5 way switch that goes to ground on the volume pot?
            You're welcome.
            Yep, resistors go to ground.
            I'm not sure to decipher your question correctly but you can solder these resistors anywhere you want, as long as they're between the "hot" point of each SC and the ground.

The diagram shows a .047 cap at a 250k tone pot. Is that what I would still use for a 500k tone pot?

Does this look right for the resistors?

http://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/re...r#.VKl0SCNTHmQ
            The value of tone caps is a matter of taste: 47n (=0.047µ) is a good average number. With a humbucker, you might prefer a 22n (0.022µ) cap or a 33n one or even a lower value like 15n or 10n. Generally speaking, higher capacitance = darker tone. 100n (0.1µ) would be a bit dark for a wiring involving a HB.
            And yes, the resistors shown in your link should work fine. :-)
            Last edited by freefrog; 01-04-2015, 02:00 PM.
            Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Working...
            X