Pearly Gates equals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pearly Gates equals?

dimarzios mismatched coils are usually (the patent) two coils with different wire types but nominally the same number of turns. so a fred has 5500 turns of #42 on one coil and 5500 turns of #43 on another. i made up the numbers but its an example without knowing the actual turn counts. an old gibson paf might have mismatched coils but it was the turn count that was different, not the wire. so stud coil had 5300 turns and screw coils had 4900 but both were wound with #42 pe. back in the day at gibson it wasnt intentional, just a symptom of human interaction with the winding machine and wear.

as mentioned above, almost all duncan buckers are wound with nominally the same number of turns on both coils, including the pg.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      so a fred has 5500 turns of #42 on one coil and 5500 turns of #43 on another. i made up the numbers but its an example...
      Quite interesting !

Does the DMZ FRED sound great on a Strat ?
      Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

yep

Comment

Originally posted by Golem View Post
          I've heard that they're mismatched. Some people who measured them claimed that the mismatch is very slight. Interestingly enough, I've heard the same about burstbuckers that were measured (and they're advertised as having mismatched coils). Perhaps the confusion is from people thinking that they're heavily mismatched when it might just be a few hundred turns +- on each coil. Or perhaps I got caught up in internet BS? I wouldn't say that's impossible.
          I haver had this talk w/ Evan and Falbo maybe? Maybe asked MJ. Anyway - the point that keeps coming up is for you to notice anything it has to be considerably different.
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I've heard that they're mismatched. Some people who measured them claimed that the mismatch is very slight. Interestingly enough, I've heard the same about burstbuckers that were measured (and they're advertised as having mismatched coils). Perhaps the confusion is from people thinking that they're heavily mismatched when it might just be a few hundred turns +- on each coil. Or perhaps I got caught up in internet BS? I wouldn't say that's impossible.
            If they unwound the pickups completely and counted different numbers of wire turns on each bobbin, they’re mismatched. If they just measured the DCR and it came out different, but within 10% of each other, it’s not mismatched but just normal manufacturing tolerance.

My 36th neck doesn’t sound like any of my Pearly necks. The only pickups I can possibly compare to a Pearly are other Duncans, but none sound exactly alike, just similar in certain sonic areas, like “same top end but different bottom end”, or “like a Pearly with the tone rolled off to 8” kind of comparison.

Comment

its a common myth that the pg has mismatched coils, it just not true. the bb are supposed to be but i havent dug into gibson pups the way i have duncans. i will say that i like the bb1/bb2 set sounds great though

Comment

Dimarzio 36th anniversary are definitely not an equal as they are warm and fat, unless you want to try putting the DP103 version in the bridge slot.

PAF master may be closer, but I tried the neck one and thought it had an uncomfortable honk in the upper mids.

Comment

Dude, if you want Pearly Gates, then just get Pearly Gates. Looking for an equivalent from another brand is an exercise in futility.
                  "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

I’m not the biggest DiMarzio geek, but I don’t thing there is anything quite like it
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Reading the OP's second post, I believe he is trying to decide if he wants the Duncan pickups, right? And he is trying to base that decision by finding out what DiMarzio pickups they sound closest to because he is familiar with the Dimarzios.

Which means a useful response would be something like "they sound like X but with more bite and less bottom."

Comment

They sound like a 36th with way more top end brightness, no murky humpy mids but even across the mids and some deep solid thunk on the low end. Nothing like you would expect from an A2 PAF, not even like other Duncan A2 PAFs. So they sound just like them but completely different.

Comment

Hey guys! In a PRS 25'' scale (full mahogany)...
                          I was thinking of a PGn. Which would be the right bridge pickup for a 1 volume / 1 tone guitar with a 3-way selector. I like the current pickup. It has a Billie Joe (Green Day) vibe that I love. BJA uses a P-90 Antiquity model. I love to play high gain*
                          Check out my solo singer/songwriter/guitarist work on Facebook!
                          Follow Me on Twitter!

Comment

Working...
                          X