banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I special order a SD strat stack w the cable exiting out of the end, not middle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I special order a SD strat stack w the cable exiting out of the end, not middle?

Apparently my Carvin is routed to only allow for a single coil with a cable exit in this position:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ueqm5zkgfzahqpdqmbco.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	5854592

And what would be the best way to place such an order?

Thanks!

Re: Can I special order a SD strat stack w the cable exiting out of the end, not midd

Jaguar bottom bobbins on Strat pickups is how this is done. It would be great if Duncan could do this via shop floor custom order, but I'm not sure. You need to contact a Duncan dealer to get the best answer.

If not Duncan, this guy has built me a custom Musicmaster Bass pickup using Jaguar Botton bobbins (I needed it to fit a J-Bass rout): https://www.curtisnovak.com.

Some of the hotter Duncan Strat pickups come that way stock, e.g. the SSL-5.
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 06-13-2020, 12:44 PM.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Re: Can I special order a SD strat stack w the cable exiting out of the end, not midd

single coils wouldnt be an issue, not sure about a stack since the construction is so different

Comment

I believe this would fall into the 'Shop Floor Custom' orders, which is ordered through your SD dealer.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          I believe this would fall into the 'Shop Floor Custom' orders, which is ordered through your SD dealer.
          Great. I think I actually will go with your recommendation of the Classic Stack Plus- I will be using it sometimes in parallel with both a full humbucker and a split humbucker, and I've heard the Classic Stack Plus has a decent sound when split. That way I can get hum cancelling when in parallel with a split humbucker, I hope?

Comment

I guess you can get hum cancelling, but you have to make sure that polarities and winding matches to get the effect. Or they would be out of phase, or hum adding.

I got that hum adding effect with a SSL-5 (in the neck) and a Dimarzio True Velvet middle (RWRP). Nice quack with hum... My bad, I understood too late that Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio use opposite constructions as a standard, so the regular True Velvet would have been hum cancelling with the SSL-5.

Comment

Originally posted by ericcomposer72 View Post
              Great. I think I actually will go with your recommendation of the Classic Stack Plus- I will be using it sometimes in parallel with both a full humbucker and a split humbucker, and I've heard the Classic Stack Plus has a decent sound when split. That way I can get hum cancelling when in parallel with a split humbucker, I hope?
              The Classic Stack sounds like an SSL-1 when split...that is, it is an ideal Strat sound (with hum). Off the top of my head, a project I did split the Classic Stack with the 59/Custom Hybrid, and it was hum-cancelling, but I don't remember if I needed a rw/rp Classic Stack to do it. Anyone remember?
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by ericcomposer72 View Post
                When the humbucker is split, you would not have hum-canceling unless the middle pickup is also split. An uneven number of active coils means that the unmatxhed coil of the bunch does not have a partner to cancel its 60 cycle hum
                Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

For curiosity's sake, can either coils be used to split and hum cancel?

Or only the top coil?

Comment

you want to use the top coil if you split a stack, the tone of the bottom coil is very wimpy

Comment

Working...
                    X