Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surprising Neck pick up observation. A2P vs. Seth Lover

Question for all the clean tone expert.

I find that my neck Seth Lover is a fair bit fuller/warmer sounding than my A2P neck.

Would that be the general observation / consensus among the rest of the forum members ?

Granted, they are in two very diff guitars.

A2P in a Gibson SG, 24.75'' scale (one piece body) with 11-52 strings.
    SL in a PRS SE Santana, 24.5'' scale, also with 11-52 strings.

Both pick ups are set up, so that they are exactly the same distance from the strings.

Alnico 2 Pro / 7.5K [neck] : https://www.seymourduncan.com/single..._position=neck

Seth Lover / 7.4K [neck] : https://www.seymourduncan.com/single..._position=neck

(I always assumed (yikes) that the A2P neck unit would be one of the warmest neck pick ups out there, regardless of brand.)
    Formerly known as; SirJackdeFuzz (7400+ posts)

Re: Surprising Neck pick up observation. A2P vs. Seth Lover

The A2P sounds warmer to me since it's smoother. The Seth is a little more cut up with mids and grit but still pretty warm.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

If your SG has the typical construction with the neck pickup pushed away from the fretboard end, thats where your difference is. There is a noted difference between a pickup at the end of a 22fret guitar and a 24fret one.....which is the effective position of the SG neck slot.

Comment

Out of those 2 clips I think the A2P sounds best.
        The Seth just doesn’t have the same roundness and warmth.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
          If your SG has the typical construction with the neck pickup pushed away from the fretboard end, thats where your difference is. There is a noted difference between a pickup at the end of a 22fret guitar and a 24fret one.....which is the effective position of the SG neck slot.
          I think you are most deff onto something.

SG bridge to neck pick up screw pole pieces : 137mm

PRS bridge to neck pick up screw pole pieces : 155mm
          Attached Files

Comment

The Santana is 25 inch like most PRS, isn’t it?

Comment

Originally posted by Golem View Post
              No. It's 24 1/2". I thought it was 24 3/4, like a Gibson. But I just looked it up and it's 24 1/2.
              “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

The Alnico II Pro is warmer to me, but the Seth is more touch sensitive, and if you have an especially warm guitar, the Seth does translate that pretty well.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yep,it's the difference in placement. Two centimeters can make a world of difference.
                  I once moved a bridge humbucker a mere quarter of an inch and the change was quite noticeable.
                  "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

PRS has a slightly shorter scale length and the neck pickup farther away from the bridge pickup. These are two things that equal fuller and warmer, even if the differences are minor.

Interesting to see a 24.5" guitar. The first set neck I built, about 20 years ago, was my own design, and it used that scale length. Until reading about the Santana being 24.5", I had not heard of another.

The A2P is the Poor Man's Seth; I have said that for years. They are not identical sounding, but they are close enough that pickup adjustments and amp settings can get them to do effectively the same job. The Seth is if you want butyrate bobbins and the old winding machine. Otherwise, get the A2Ps.
                    Originally posted by LesStrat
                    Yogi Berra was correct.
                    Originally posted by JOLLY
                    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Golem View Post
                      . . . i believe it is 24.5 inch scale.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        The Alnico II Pro is warmer to me, but the Seth is more touch sensitive, and if you have an especially warm guitar, the Seth does translate that pretty well.

Good to know. Thanks Mincer.
                        The stock pick ups did NOT work for me . . .
                        Sounded thin . . . made me think the guitar is more of a brighter instruemnt.
                        The Stock SE pick ups vs Seth Lovers are NIGHT & DAY !

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                          I completely agree with this, positon of the pickups is the key in what you hear as a difference.
                          The closer the pickup is to the neck, the warmer and fuller it will be sounding.
                          Another nice example of why not to compare pickups that are in different guitars, it often leads to the wrong conclusions.
                          "You can buy muscles (steroïds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Comment

I prefer Seth Lovers or Antiquitys. I have Seths in my SE Singlecut, and if you remove the covers and you're lucky you might find this:
                            Attached Files
                            “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by The JEM Ghost View Post
                              I completely agree with this, positon of the pickups is the key in what you hear as a difference.
                              The closer the pickup is to the neck, the warmer and fuller it will be sounding.
                              Another nice example of why not to compare pickups that are in different guitars, it often leads to the wrong conclusions.
                              . . . sooo true !

Comment

Working...
                              X