Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wiring a H-S-H guitar w/ 2 coil split switches for inner/outer coils

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
    Oops, the misunderstanding is on my part. My apologies I missed that the pickup you want to you use for the middle position has 2 coils. That also explains my mistake in thinking what the Series-Parallel switch was supposed to do.

I will go back and make the updates. What you actually want isn't as difficult to accomplish as what I just figured out - (haha!). The one part I am not sure about, is if the Series-Parallel "In series" setting for the Middle Pickup can be bypassed when the pickup selector switch is in Positions 2 and 4. We will see.

So as far as replacement hardware is concerned: you still need to replace the standard 5 way with a superswitch, but you probably no longer need to replace one of the 2DPT switches with a 3DPT on-on. Let me get through the new diagram to confirm that.

BTW, if you did not already, please see my prior post about measuring your control cavity height before ordering a suoerswitch.
    This is great news, because the guy who does my wiring has a super switch that I can purchase from him. I just measured the cavity depth in the Carvin, and it should be able to accommodate either switch.

One question- you mentioned the Series-Parallel "In series" setting for the Middle Pickup being bypassed when the pickup selector switch is in Position 2 and 4. Just wondering- why would it have to be bypassed? My goal would be this (for example):

(All below with coil split off, "toggle switch 3" being Series/Parallel switch)

Position 2 (toggle switch 3 set to "Parallel"): Bridge Humbucker full, in Parallel with Middle rails; Middle rails in Parallel with itself
    Position 2 (toggle switch 3 set to "Series"): Bridge Humbucker full, in Parallel with Middle rails; Middle rails in Series with itself
    Position 4 (toggle switch 3 set to "Parallel"): Neck Humbucker full, in Parallel with Middle rails; Middle rails in Parallel with itself
    Position 4 (toggle switch 3 set to "Series"): Neck Humbucker full, in Parallel with Middle rails; Middle rails in Series with itself

My understanding is that these all would be hum-cancelling. However, any of the above positions, I would assume, when the humbuckers are split, would not be hum-cancelling

I was anticipating putting the middle rails pickup in series with itself when active with another full humbucker, but in parallel with itself when active with a split humbucker, to try to match outputs a little closer.

Thanks for your patience with the descriptions from a novice-level electronics understanding!
    Last edited by ericcomposer72; 06-05-2020, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ericcomposer72 View Post
      This is great news, because the guy who does my wiring has a super switch that I can purchase from him. I just measured the cavity depth in the Carvin, and it should be able to accommodate either switch.

One question- you mentioned the Series-Parallel "In series" setting for the Middle Pickup being bypassed when the pickup selector switch is in Position 2 and 4. Just wondering- why would it have to be bypassed? My goal would be this (for example):

(All below with coil split off, "toggle switch 3" being Series/Parallel switch)

Position 2 (toggle switch 3 set to "Parallel"): Bridge Humbucker full, in Parallel with Middle rails; Middle rails in Parallel with itself
      Position 2 (toggle switch 3 set to "Series"): Bridge Humbucker full, in Parallel with Middle rails; Middle rails in Series with itself
      Position 4 (toggle switch 3 set to "Parallel"): Neck Humbucker full, in Parallel with Middle rails; Middle rails in Parallel with itself
      Position 4 (toggle switch 3 set to "Series"): Neck Humbucker full, in Parallel with Middle rails; Middle rails in Series with itself

My understanding is that these all would be hum-cancelling. However, any of the above positions, I would assume, when the humbuckers are split, would not be hum-cancelling

I was anticipating putting the middle rails pickup in series with itself when active with another full humbucker, but in parallel with itself when active with a split humbucker, to try to match outputs a little closer.

Thanks for your patience with the descriptions from a novice-level electronics understanding!
      Thanks, I follow you.

Let me throw this idea out there. To try to have at least some of Position 2 and Positon 4 that are hum-canceling when the 2 humbuckers are split, what do you think of the idea of also splitting the middle pickup whenever the 2 humbuckers are split?
      Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Thanks, I follow you.

Let me throw this idea out there. To try to have at least some of Position 2 and Positon 4 that are hum-canceling when the 2 humbuckers are split, what do you think of the idea of also splitting the middle pickup whenever the 2 humbuckers are split?
        I think it's a great idea- however, I've actually read a lot about this pickup, and there is a lot of feedback that it sounds very weak/feeble when split. Honestly, I think I'll be OK with the hum in position 2/4 (when 'buckers are split)

Comment

I think it's a great idea- however, I've actually read a lot about this pickup, and there is a lot of feedback that it sounds very weak/feeble when split. Honestly, I think I'll be OK with the hum in position 2/4 (when 'buckers are split)
          Ok. I will begin working on the revised diagram.
          Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

...I was anticipating putting the middle rails pickup in series with itself when active with another full humbucker, but in parallel with itself when active with a split humbucker, to try to match outputs a little closer....
            *if* that is your end goal (i.e. middle pickup In Parallel *only* when the humbuckers are split, and the middle pickup In Series *only* when the 2 humbuckers are not split), then are you aware that with a 4PDT switch you could accomplish both things with a single switch action vs your current plan where you have to flip 2 switches each time? Are you interested in doing this via just 1 switch?

Comment

*if* that is your end goal (i.e. middle pickup In Parallel *only* when the humbuckers are split, and the middle pickup In Series *only* when the 2 humbuckers are not split), then are you aware that with a 4PDT switch you could accomplish both things with a single switch action vs your current plan where you have to flip 2 switches each time? Are you interested in doing this via just 1 switch?
              I had no idea that was possible- and is probably something I might want to try in the future! But I figure, since the guitar does already have 3 switches, I can use this to play around with different configurations (split w/ series or parallel middle, humbucker w/ series or parallel middle).

I've never actually heard the middle in parallel with split humbuckers... so I'm just making an educated guess that it'll sound the way I like. I might want to try everything out before making a permanent decision.
              Last edited by ericcomposer72; 06-06-2020, 12:11 AM.

Comment

I had no idea that was possible- and is probably something I might want to try in the future! But I figure, since the guitar does already have 3 switches, I can use this to play around with different configurations (split w/ series or parallel middle, humbucker w/ series or parallel middle).

I've never actually heard the middle in parallel with split humbuckers... so I'm just making an educated guess that it'll sound the way I like. I might want to try everything out before making a permanent decision.
                Ok, for now, separate switches.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]105218[/ATTACH]
                  Amazing stuff. Never been so excited for a pickup installation. Should be ready later this week- will report back!

Comment

Eric,

I spotted something that needed to be changed. Use this version instead.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IEXw02Q.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	5820774

Comment

Working...
                    X