Problems with vintage Gibson wrap tailpiece

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with vintage Gibson wrap tailpiece

For Christmas, I decided to indulge a bit and get myself a vintage Gibson SG. After a bit of searching, I found a pretty solid deal on an all original (with the exception of the knobs, which are period correct but the wrong color) 1968 Gibson SG Special. I love the guitar but my one qualm is the impossibility to get the G string to intonate with an unwound G string.

So that raises the question: Should I start purchasing string sets with a wound G for this guitar, or should I purchase an aftermarket adjustable bridge and keep the original in the case?

I am curious to hear your opinions

Re: Problems with vintage Gibson wrap tailpiece

Have you got the tailpiece decked
    As low as it will go?

Raise it up just a bit
    Not level but so that the string isn't making such a tight angle over the bridge
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Problems with vintage Gibson wrap tailpiece

Depends on your playing preference, I guess. If wound intonates and you like playing that gauge, then go for it. If it’s too heavy for your fingers, then an aftermarket is an easy, non-destructive fix. I have a pigtail adjustable wraparound on my kit-built LP Junior, and it works a treat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Last edited by VinceT; 01-02-2020, 05:15 AM.

Comment

Unless you love the look of the original why not drop in an adjustable one? There are a lot of options, including a couple that look very similar to the plain stop bar style.
        I played an SG Speciak for years that had a Badass bridge. Perfect intonation, no alteration to the guitar.

Comment

That's not an uncommon problem. A simple fix is to replace the nut with a compensated nut...it (among other things) changes the scale length of the "G" string. You will find that it not only intonates better, but will play more in tune all along the fretboard.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
            Have you got the tailpiece decked
            As low as it will go?

Raise it up just a bit
            Not level but so that the string isn't making such a tight angle over the bridge
            The issue isn't the action, it's just because the vintage tailpieces are compensated for wound G strings.

Comment

Thanks guys. I think I'm gonna try a set of strings with a wound G first, but if I don't like them (which I probably won't because I like bending), I'll search for a used replacement. Thanks for the replies!

Comment

Originally posted by JDawg0427 View Post
                The issue isn't the action, it's just because the vintage tailpieces are compensated for wound G strings.
                I misunderstood the OP

My bad
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Check out the Mannmade products. He's worked with PRS and the adjustable wraptail bridges on them (for years) have been his.
                  This one (link) is for Gibson guitars.

Comment

There are compensated wraparound bridges that look like stock, I believe. I've got an adjustable one on the way for my SG, though.

Comment

There is the lightning bolt tailpiece that Gibson used which is a possibility, and for very vintage correct with subtle compensation there is the Mojoaxe tailpiece. And of course as suggested there are fully adjustable TOM stlye wrap t/p variants of all types available with huge adjustment possibility.
                      It all depends on your ear and how far it is out as to where you want to go.

Comment

If you are trying to go super low-buck (you mentioned looking for a used bridge) I have two Chinese wraparounds; you can have one if you want. Or just buy one of eBay for less than 20 bucks.

There is also the Guitar Fetish lightning bar that is compensated for an unwound G for $15 plus shipping: https://www.guitarfetish.com/Les-Pau...dge_p_449.html

Comment

There's plenty of lightning bolt plain-G compensated tailpieces around. I think these are superior to all the added mass of the adjustable types IMHO.

Comment

I put one of these on my SG Junior build and couldn't be happier. I had one of the Wilkinson adjustable bridges from Guitarfetish but it was always a bit off no matter what I did and decided to go fully adjustable. The improvement on the tone is great too.

There's also a lightning bolt wraparound designed for unwound G strings.

Comment

Working...
                            X