Capacitors Selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capacitors Selection

Hi guys, first time making changes to my guitar.

Pick Up configuration:
    Bridge: JB Trembucker
    Middle: custom stack s6
    Neck: JB JR. For strat

Guitar configuration:
    s/s/h
    5 way switch
    1 vol
    2 tones
    Floyd Rose tremolo

Already went through wire configuration on the web, but ssh is not possible, so the only way possible was considering stratos configuration, with single coil in the three pick ups and repeating the humBucker single coil sized for the bridge. Software delivered a very logical wire connection, but my big doubt is if the cap recommended is right (0.022), considering the pick up configuration, basically because of the JB Trembucker

Hope someone can give an orientation on that

Thanks

Re: Capacitors Selection

Originally posted by RodrigoCamiruaga View Post
    Hi guys, first time making changes to my guitar.

Pick Up configuration:
    Bridge: JB Trembucker
    Middle: custom stack s6
    Neck: JB JR. For strat

Guitar configuration:
    s/s/h
    5 way switch
    1 vol
    2 tones
    Floyd Rose tremolo

Already went through wire configuration on the web, but ssh is not possible, so the only way possible was considering stratos configuration, with single coil in the three pick ups and repeating the humBucker single coil sized for the bridge. Software delivered a very logical wire connection, but my big doubt is if the cap recommended is right (0.022), considering the pick up configuration, basically because of the JB Trembucker

Hope someone can give an orientation on that

Thanks
    Capacitors are personal preference; there really isn't a right or wrong within reason. Lots of diagrams recommend .047uf or .033uf, but I find both of them too dark to be useful. I use .022uf for just about everything except neck position humbuckers which get .015uf. For master tone controls I use .015uf for humbuckers or .022uf for single coils.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

.022 uF is a safe place to start (humbuckers and single coils), but it comes down to personal preference.

It's important to note that with the tone pot on full, there's pretty much no difference between different cap values. You really notice the difference the most with the tone rolled off 60% or more. An awful lot of people don't ever do this with their tone knobs . . . so the cap they use really doesn't matter much at all.

I actually kinda prefer a bigger cap on the neck than the bridge (.022 - .033). Sometimes I want a wooly/jazzy neck sound . . . but I never look for a wooly/jazzy bridge sound. With the bridge I usually just want variations of slight roll-off of highs and .01 - .015 usually gets me there. .047 is too dark for me.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Thanks for all your recommendations guys it looks like the .022 is the starting point

Comment

Originally Posted by RodrigoCamiruaga
          Making a custom configuration for my guitar to do my homework project on electronics and learn something new as well. But I have doubts as for the pick up configuration.
          Hi,

I ordered a couple of capacitors from wdmusic just to try.
          Sprague Orange Drop Tone .022uF and Mallory Mustard Tone .022uF
          Haven't received them yet, so I will give my feedback later. What did you choose for your guitar?

Comment

Working...
          X