banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Care to throw on some headphones and critique my mix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Care to throw on some headphones and critique my mix?

Much better.
    I still feel like the overheads are too loud. Those cymbals need to be pulled way back in the mix.

Comment

Revision #114

Brought the snare up with some samples. Next will be a little tom work. Next time, get the damn drums right in the recording.

Comment

Much better! Manually doing the samples is a pain, there are some free ways to trigger off the waveform though (KTDrumTrigger I think).

I would throw a de-esser on the vocals at this point, few harsh syllables coming through.

And don't beat yourself up (pun intended) on the drums. They are the hardest to record properly. How many inputs do you have available to you?
        TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
          Much better! Manually doing the samples is a pain, there are some free ways to trigger off the waveform though (KTDrumTrigger I think).

I would throw a de-esser on the vocals at this point, few harsh syllables coming through.

And don't beat yourself up (pun intended) on the drums. They are the hardest to record properly. How many inputs do you have available to you?
          Interface? 8 XLR (can split 4 to 48v) and 8 more line level.

Comment

Ok awesome, and how did you mic it up this time?
            TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
              Ok awesome, and how did you mic it up this time?
              I forget the name of the drum mic kit. It was a cheaper brand. Snare mic, kick drum (did use a 52a), a couple pencil condenser overheads (stereo). Didn’t mic the toms. We also recorded bass, guitar and vocals at the same time. Cabs and singer in 3 different rooms. So us as a band were using 7 inputs. I added the second guitar track later.

We’ve thought about using this as a scratch track and re-record all parts over it, but in the meantime I’m just seeing how good of a mix I can get from it. I like the live feel it has.

Comment

Just listened to the last mix, wow, lots of progress from the original! Really sounding good!

Comment

De-ssed vocals a little, high passed the guitars a little more, and pulled the overheads back a tad.

Comment

Sounds much better and clearer - however ...

...my ears may be deceiving me but the guitars seem to have too much fat trimmed now.

I'm not hearing the CHUNK... at least during the intro.

Generally speaking... part of keeping the instruments clear in the mix is to be careful with sharing frequencies between said instruments.

But you can have the guitars (for ex) go lower into the bass register (frequencies) as long as you carve out a little notch in the bass guitar
                    frequencies... so they don't compete down there.

Alternatively, for the "just guitars" intro, you could go full phat... then when the drums/bass kick in, keep the EQ as you currently have it.

And of course it's all subjective to what you want the mix to sound like.

Comment

Working...
                    X