Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hows does your brain work

Originally posted by Ben1962
    A harmonic minor for example. That means the G now is Gsharp? That Gsharp is the 3rd of E major, right? So in Ahm., you now have an E major and F major half step apart. Starting from E, it's the phyrgian dominant, right? E major to F major, half step. That's harmonic minor

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
    You’re back to thinking of the modes incorrectly.....you would be playing E Phrygian Dom not AHminor...
    In order to play in Ahm you need the Am to be the tonic of your progression. Once you make the E the tonic you’re not centered around the Am anymore. Yes, you’re pulling your idea from the Hminor series but you’re no longer creating that sound anymore with the new chords.

Comment

The questions you’re asking are DEEP. And tbh, I’m very much a student of the modes at this point. I have a decent knowledge base but still...I’m absolutely in learning mode.
      I’ve got a ton more work to do with the modes of the
      major scale never mind the advanced stuff.
      This stuff gets heavy fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben1962
        Hows this for passive aggressive WRONG WRONG WRONG LOCRIAN??Just Stop, you have no idea of what you are talking about dude. That progression is in B Mixolydian. Its harmonized major scale is E, B is the 5 chord of E. I am going to block you, hire a fkn teacher dude. I went out of my way to help you and you give me a hard time?
        There are a BUNCH of ways to borrow chords in music.

Harmonized fifth, huh. Welp, there's a rule that I'm not familiar with. And you FINALLY actually gave me an answer that isn't as convoluted as the crap that I came up with looking for that needle in the haystack. Look at you, NOW YOU'RE A TEACHER...!!! You weren't TEACHING me before this post. I asked you (via responding to a PM that YOU initiated) if you knew what was up with that chord progression, and you told me to stick with Ionian mode, learn the natural scale, and that if I don't know 1, 4, 5, then I don't know music.

I know that I've read somewhere that you can find a "rule" that allows you to turn pretty much ANY interval into a major or minor. "If it sounds musical, then there's probably a rule that allows you to do it, so just go ahead and don't worry about whatever, and have fun playing music." Problem: WHAT MODE AM I IN...!?!

That's all that I asked. I wanted to know what mode I was in, because I like that progression, and it didn't make sense. Why did I want to know which mode I was in...??? So that I can play lead over that progression. Simple question. You had the answer. You knew how to answer that question, and you decided not to.

And now you're mad at me. And I learned something from you about music. And I'm not mad. I like learning new stuff! I don't care WHO teaches me something new, if it's pertinent, then I get to keep it and call it "OURS."

Don't be mad. Your anger will serve you no purpose in life.

Comment

Question: "What rule in music allows you to play a power chord at the interval represented by the 7th degree of the natural scale...???"

Example: If you're in Ionian mode and playing power chords, and you go a half step down from the root, and you don't flat the fifth, why aren't you wrong...??? Now move to Dorian mode. Why aren't you wrong for failing to flat the fifth three semitone down from the root in THIS mode. Now, explain the rule for each and every mode of the natural scale that allows you to play regular power chords at that interval.

THAT'S the type of logic that I followed when I came up with "Locian mode." Mild frustration and what appeared to be an epiphany is what led me to my thinking...B is the tonic, and that allows me to deal with those sharps/flats that were getting in the way! Then it's that rule that allows people to play power chords at that interval when they're not supposed to be playing chords at that interval without flatting the 5th...!!!

Still not embarrassed by my logic, and still not mad. No reason to be mad.

But yeah, that's a good question isn't it...!?! Why can we play power chords at that interval...???

Comment

Calm down, everyone. We are only trying to help.

This isn't the way I practice or think about modes at all. If I want to practice E Phrygian, I set up an E root (bass line) playing 16ths. I then play an F & G triads over that. It is easy to hear E Phrygian over F/E and G/E chords.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              Calm down, everyone. We are only trying to help.

This isn't the way I practice or think about modes at all. If I want to practice E Phrygian, I set up an E root (bass line) playing 16ths. I then play an F & G triads over that. It is easy to hear E Phrygian over F/E and G/E chords.
              My problem was that I'm in that "creative mood" where I like to noodle around and find stuff that works. I was playing a B barre chord to work on my fretting/transitions while watching TV, and suddenly that chord sounded like the diddy from a car commercial in the early 90's...!!! So, I hacked out what the other chords where, and I was like, "Man, I liked that back then, and I still like it now...!!!"

Next thing I know, I'm trying to figure out the scale, because I can't take the next step without knowing that!

Not my style when noodling. I seriously try to avoid sounding like someone else...pretty much at all times. (Start here, then it moves to this interval, then over here...and that puts me in one of these 2 or 3 modes. Now where...??? I map it out as I go, or else figure it out when I come to a stopping point. THEN the fun begins...!!!)

Comment

Bloody hell. And you dudes took the pi*s with me on my Vivian thread for dragging sh*t out ad nauseam??? LOL!!! Keep going. You've only got another four or five pages or so to go!!! LOL!!!

Oh well. Carry on. Still monitoring the thread daily but not getting caught up in all of this (which is out of character for me let's face it!!! LOL!!!) (not to mention that it's way out of my depth and way above my pay grade). But in the time it's taken you lot to analyse and argue: I've put together something that I think sounds really nice and this in spite of not knowing sh*t about all of this stuff!!! Now it's not finished and I will not upload until it's tight as hell. But let's if I can finish before you get to fourteen pages!!! LOL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterson View Post
                  But in the time it's taken you lot to analyse and argue: I've put together something that I think sounds really nice and this in spite of not knowing sh*t about all of this stuff!!! Now it's not finished and I will not upload until it's tight as hell. But let's if I can finish before you get to fourteen pages!!! LOL!!!
                  Dude, you'll have that thing done before I finish one that's ALREADY done! Because no it's not...no it's not.

Comment

The OP said a few pages back...

One question I've asked more than once but never received an answer to is what do the Professionals do they're "not in the mood" to actually perform???
                    Last night I was listening to a song that someone recorded and posted on this forum, and it was catchy enough for me that my brain just started humming the vocal part. It happens. There was at least one major twist in the lead guitar that threw me on vocals, but it was a quick recovery and continue to march.

BUT...like always when I do this, something about the lead guitar just kept on getting in the way of my vocals, and I couldn't find a recovery. In this case, it was the beat of the lead at that lick...it was just stepping all over my vocals. If we're in the recording studio, and he didn't make a change LONG before we got there, then I've got an emotional burden that I've got to deal with when singing HIS song.

If he makes me change my vocals on one of MY songs, and the band is like, "Just change it, Gransen," then I'm now not happy going on tour because I'm in charge of jack squat. Now I feel like I'm THEIR tool, because the lead guitar player is a bigger a-hole, so the band just sides with him all the time, and now I don't even have creative control over MY song!!! Diplomacy is over, and I'm screwed.

These are the types of reasons why bands like S.O.A.D. decide to go on hiatus. FRICTION. Bring that friction to the stage with you, and then you've got an emotional burden. Now, relate THAT issue to professionals "not in the mood" to actually perform.

My "layman's" advice (bearing in mind that I'm a hack who noodles at home) is to actually pay attention to those warning signs AS THE BAND IS FORMING!!! Is the lead vocalist really super great, but his attitude sux, but he's really super great, so we have to keep him...??? Go to a karaoke bar and find the replacement! Is it the lead guitarist...??? They grow on trees. I PERSONALLY BELIEVE THAT THIS IS THE CORRECT WAY TO THINK WHEN FORMING A BAND.

Anyone can be replaced! An-eeeee-1. And if it doesn't happen on day one, then it's likely to happen eventually.

The moral of the story: "Don't set yourself up for failure when setting up your band." I'm pretty sure that the pros would agree, and many have learned this lesson the hard way.
                    Last edited by Gransen; 02-10-2019, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                      While your definition is technically correct it’s a bit of an oversimplification.
                      What would you do if I asked you to play D Dorian but you HAD to play in 12th position?
                      You wouldn’t be able to use the same scale shape anymore...what’s your solution?
                      I don't go by the shapes. I've learned major scale thorough the fretboard. I can play it from any position, though getting it always right is still work in progress.
                      "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                      Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
                        I don't go by the shapes. I've learned major scale thorough the fretboard. I can play it from any position, though getting it always right is still work in progress.
                        There was a US President from the 1800's who could write in one language with one hand, and another language with the other hand AT THE SAME TIME. I've heard of people who can write and draw at the same time. If you can play the natural scale in any mode without ever having learned the scale shapes, you need to find out if you're one of THOSE guys!!!

I get it, it's just knowing where those semitones are. I do that all the time when noodling. Then I'm lost, and I have to go back and look at the shapes and how I got there.

Question: Do you look at the natural scale as one big line instead of 5 shapes the squish together...???

Comment

Originally posted by Gransen View Post
                          There was a US President from the 1800's who could write in one language with one hand, and another language with the other hand AT THE SAME TIME. I've heard of people who can write and draw at the same time. If you can play the natural scale in any mode without ever having learned the scale shapes, you need to find out if you're one of THOSE guys!!!

I get it, it's just knowing where those semitones are. I do that all the time when noodling. Then I'm lost, and I have to go back and look at the shapes and how I got there.

Question: Do you look at the natural scale as one big line instead of 5 shapes the squish together...???
                          I did learn that basic shape when I started, then just expanded there. Did a lot of single string practice.

It's easy to remember really: 3 whole steps, half step, 2 whole steps, half step along single string, next string having those whole steps reversed so half steps stack every second time and upper moves whole step up every second time.

Possibly biggest obstacle is to remember the half step shift on b string.

So i look at it as a single line.

The "getting lost" problem is just a matter of always keeping in mind where the root notes are.
                          Last edited by Jacew; 02-10-2019, 12:41 PM.
                          "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"

Comment

I did learn that basic shape when I started, then just expanded there. Did a lot of single string practice.

It's easy to remember really: 3 whole steps, half step, 2 whole steps, half step along single string, next string having those whole steps reversed so half steps stack every second time and upper moves whole step up every second time.
                            You're talking about something sort of like this...

Click image for larger version

Name:	001_Shred.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	5812883

...starting at the root, it's four notes per string with the semitone at the back for the first two strings, then in the middle for the next two string, and then at the front for the next two strings. Then the next problem is starting on a different string and how that pattern recycles.

Possibly biggest obstacle is to remember the half step shift on b string.
                            For me, it's coming down the scale, not up. I should spend a month or two doing scale drills ONLY BACKWARDS!!! (That'll teach me for being stupid...!!!)

The "getting lost" problem is just a matter of always keeping in mind where the root notes are.
                            Sing it to me, Bruthah...!!! Again, it's coming down the scale that kills me.

(How does my brain work...??? I almost typed "...coming BACK down the scale...," and INSTANTLY thought, "Hey, I like to start in one particular area of the fretboard. I should noodle around up top and work my way down, and then work my way BACK UP where I started...!!!" Then I stopped and decided to write this instead...)

Comment

It was the three-notes-per-string pattern I learned. But that's irrelevant as it's not the way I see the fretboard now.

Perhaps I have more theoretical view to it... I don't move up and down scales or remember patterns on fretboard. I just look at notes and their intervalls. Each string has same series of intervalls, next string having the start at five semitones higher (exept b with 4 semitones). Root is same place on both e strings and can also be found easily whole step and two strings up.

So when playing there is just two things to remember: Where is the root and what is the major scale with the notes I want.

If I play in different mode from ionian, I don't think patterns for that mode. Just play notes from relative ionian mode.

Comment

Perhaps I have more theoretical view to it... I don't move up and down scales or remember patterns on fretboard. I just look at notes and their intervalls. Each string has same series of intervalls, next string having the start at five semitones higher (exept b with 4 semitones). Root is same place on both e strings and can also be found easily whole step and two strings up.

So when playing there is just two things to remember: Where is the root and what is the major scale with the notes I want.

If I play in different mode from ionian, I don't think patterns for that mode. Just play notes from relative ionian mode.
                                The first part of your reply is why I compared your visualization technique to the uniquely creative. I get what you're saying, but I need a road map to do the same thing. I'm getting better at what you do naturally, but you do it naturally whereas I needed a road map to get me started.

The last part about Ionian is something like how I see the my stops on the road map. I just stay with the Ionian interval numbering system, and then I'm calling the root in Phrygian mode "3".

Comment

Working...
                                X