I have an idea. Am I crazy? Bass as bass+rhythm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have an idea. Am I crazy? Bass as bass+rhythm

Don't answer that. Here is what I'm thinking. This is somewhat Billy Sheehan inspired, somewhat from the Fishman Powerchord which adds a 4th under, or a 5th above (plus octaves).

So, I'm thinking in a lot of rock situations with a 3 piece, when the rhythm guitar drops out for solos it is just...weak. We all know most recording have a rhythm guitar tracked underneath a solo, etc.

So here is what I was thinking:

Take the original bass signal.
    > Split it. Dry and FX
    Then run FX through, in this order:
    > Octave pedal for up one or two octaves (I'm thinking two)
    > Run Octave signal out Dry
    > Run into a Pitch Shifter set for Original + 5th above wet 50/50
    > Run whole thing into a dirt box
    > Back into clean bass signal and into amp.

I get a bass line down low and clean, and I have a guitar playing power chords above it in unison.

I'd like to make this little loop with Mooer Pedals.

Suggestions?
    Thoughts?
    what do you think?
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Re: I have an idea. Am I crazy? Bass as bass+rhythm

It would kind of sound like a guitar was playing power chords, but it seems like an awful lot of hassle. That's no reason not to do it, though.

A lot of my favorite rock bands are one guitar groups. I like that in a Pantera song, there's no rhythm guitar during the solo and Rex (bass player) plays a little more to fill in the space. If I were playing in a band, I'd just make my part a little busier during the solo. The whole "it sounds just like the album" bit does nothing for me.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I think it's a good idea and you should try it. Power trios can sound good during the guitar solo if the rhythm section is killing it. Like Venom. They kill. It sounds super full. Or like Royal Blood only has a bass and has 1 amp clean and 1 dirty. I think you should experiment tho.
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

Interesting. I am all for new applications of effects. But if the band sounds weak when the guitarist does a solo, it is either the bassist's tone or playing that needs to be looked at, or the song's arrangement as a whole.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Why not just run the wet chain straight into a real guitar amp while you’re at it?

Comment

Geddy Lee used a Moog Taurus pedal for chordal sounds while also playing a bass line.
            Last edited by idsnowdog; 03-15-2020, 05:48 PM.

Comment

I just need to figure out how to re-combine the sounds. Splitting is easy. Back together - not so much!
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

2 amps.
                The things that you wanted
                I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
                  Geddy Lee used a Moog Taurus pedal for chordal sounds while also playing a bass line.
                  I think they were just really deep bass notes, and no chords. Chris Squire did the same. He also split his bass into highs and los- highs went to a Marshall guitar amp, lows to an SVT. Someone else carried his rig around.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    Interesting. I am all for new applications of effects. But if the band sounds weak when the guitarist does a solo, it is either the bassist's tone or playing that needs to be looked at, or the song's arrangement as a whole.
                    I'm not one for doing something just because it can be done. And my highest priority is always to have whatever instrumentation that's used serve the song (not vice versa).

If the song is weak, bells and whistles will just be lipstick on a pig.
                    '69 Fender Mustang bass
                    '69 Gibson EB-1
                    '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
                    '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
                    '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
                    '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
                    '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
                    '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Comment

The bass player would have to mainly stick to roots or it would get very confusing sounding quickly. If the bass player was walking and the "synthetic" rhythm guitar was following the harmony would be all over the place.

Comment

ok heres what i was doing

bass > ABY >

chain one
                        pog clone octave pedal to bounce up
                        behringer Pitch shifter that adds a third or fifth
                        into a DS1 or Fuzz whatever

chain two
                        clean bass side
                        a bit of chorus
                        to the bass amp

this is what the guy from Royal Blood does

keep in mind its just a drummer and a bass player

EHD
                        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          It's a common problem for bands trying to replicate multiple guitar tracks live with only one guitar player. To me, the best solution is another guitar player, but a lot of bands are going with three musicians to cut costs. Altering the bass tone won't fix anything if the bass part isn't designed to fill space.

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                          I just need to figure out how to re-combine the sounds. Splitting is easy. Back together - not so much!
                          Why not use a DI into its own channel? That would allow you to blend more or less of the "guitar" into the mix.

Comment

EHD
                            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Aceman, I think it would be a great idea. If you have some good audio online service, can you share it, recommend something great? For example, like this one ( url: https://traktrain.com/filter/free-beats ), that I got recently. It has every genre I like, even beats and bass audio tracks. And they get new tracks every single day.
                              Last edited by parkerss85; 04-02-2020, 03:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X