Ibanez SA 360 walnut 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ibanez SA 360 walnut 2017

As I mentioned at a previous post , things became better after I restrung the guitar to D'addario NYXL 09/42, although I don't know what the previous were.
    So , is that all?

Anyway, thank you again for your time.

Comment

There is no specific setting for pickup height. You have to do it by ear and sound/feel. Here's the easiest way to go about it...

1) Strum the 6th and 5th strings and adjust the bass side of the pickup until the notes ring loudest. You may need to move it higher before reducing the height to find this point

2) Strum the 1st and 2nd strings and do the same to the treble side of the pickup...adjust until the notes ring loudest

3) For pickups with adjustable poles (like your humbucker), play each string one-by-one and listen for subtle differences in output between them. If a particular string stands out from the rest, screw its adjustable pole piece in/down 1/2 to a full turn. If a string's response is weak compared to the rest, screw that pole piece up/out 1/2 to a full turn. Repeat

4) Once the pickup is balanced and at its loudest/strongest point, play it and determine what you want... Less output or a little more clarity? Lower both sides of the pickup an equal number of turns. Too much bass? Start by lowering the bass side slightly.

For single coils, you don't have the ability to adjust individual pole pieces, but you still want to find the overall height where all strings are their strongest and then fine-tune the response and output to your liking from there. You may have to lower the singles a bit to keep their output level with the bridge humbucker in your case.
      Last edited by Masta' C; 04-17-2019, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Thank you for your very defined post

Comment

Another option is to adjust your pickup height to where harmonics ring out the clearest. This worked really well for me on some of my guitars.
          Heem6
          www.HeavyMetalStrat.Proboards.com

3 Fender HM Strats * Mahogany Vandenberg w/Super Wizard neck * Kramer Baretta Infinity Sustainer * EVH B&W Replica * Mighty Mite Hard Ash Strat * 2 Hot Rodded Kramer Strikers * Custom-built Jackson San Dimas Clone * Damage Control Demonizer Tube Preamp * Lexicon MX200 Multi-Effects * Rockman Distortion Generator * Marshall DSL1-HR * VHT 1x12 Cab * Echoplex EP-1 * Ibanez Analog Delay * JOYO EQ Pedal

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Corona View Post
            It's true, I don't have access to any "real" amp.
            Thanks for your answer.
            By the way , what is OP?
            OP stands for Original Poster

Comment

Originally posted by heem6 View Post
              Another option is to adjust your pickup height to where harmonics ring out the clearest. This worked really well for me on some of my guitars.
              Fine-tuning for best harmonics is always my final step and often requires adjusting the pickup (or parts of the pickup) away from where the response simply "sounds the loudest".

It's all a balancing act and there are several ways to approach pickup adjustment.

The key is to not just assume that a manufacturer or anyone else has actually set your pickup heights to the "best" setting and to commit to spending the time to find what works best for you.
              Last edited by Masta' C; 04-18-2019, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by heem6 View Post
                Can you explain your process?
                You’ve got me very intrigued.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Corona View Post
                  Speaking about amps what do you think about a Peavey bandit 112 (probably the newer version) . I found it for 150€
                  I would suggest you try a Boss Katana, better at lower volume (0.5w) as the Bandit as to be cranked a bit to sound good. The Katana 50w would be around the same price. You can stretch to Katana 100w (combo or head) if you need more volume and features.

Comment

I was thinking about katana 50watt since I only play at home. Are the extra features of the 100watt model worth the extra money?
                    A used Mustang 2 40watt goes around 100€ and a Mustang 3 200€. What about them?

Comment

I have the Katana 100 and chose it specifically over the 50 after giving both a thorough comparison.

The 100 sounds bigger and more open at all settings thanks to a *slightly* bigger enclosure and a much better speaker.

The 0.5W and 50W settings are both very manageable for low-volume bedroom/practice use and it has enough power to play anywhere.

The 100 is about 6 pounds heavier than the 50, but keep in mind that, at just 32 pounds, the Katana 100 is still 8 pounds lighter than the similarly-sized Bandit 1x12 and very portable!

If you stick with a Mustang, you should consider the Mustang 3 for sure. That said, I personally prefer the Katana in almost every way.

Comment

I'm personally going for a valve amp anytime & everytime. I just cant bring myself to go back.

You could get a Blackstar HT-5 for a VERY reasonable price, and look around for a good price on a sealed 112 cab (which can also be found CHEAP), put a good 12" speaker in it (Eminence or Warehouse perhaps)... And just like that, your tone lacking days are in the rearview mirror.

Other great to decent affordable tube amps...
                        -PEAVEY 6505MH (ext cab required)... never need another amp
                        -BUGERA V22 Infinium 112 combo
                        -Bugera V5 Infinium... nice little class A amp (ext cab required)
                        -Blackstar HT-1... the HT-5 is MUCH more versatile

I do not pretend to believe a solid state amp is no good, not in the least. It's just not something I wouldnt choose something else over. But I have heard NOTHING BUT great things about the KATANA Amps (both the 50 and 100) from people I trust. Best thing for anyone to do, ANYTIME they're in the market for an amp is to go out and TRY different amps out (if its possible) and if you CAN, you'll be CERTAIN to find exactly what your ears are lookin for EVERYTIME!

DEFINITELY agree wholeheartedly wit the guys trying to explain that the amp is really hindering you greatly. Electric Guitar 101..... 90% of your sound/tone is the amp you play through.... Make it a good one, because it's where it begins and ends with tone!

I dont knock anyone for the gear they've got. But the gods honest truth is (and I bought one for my son, but quickly upgraded to a better amp... so I'm familiar with it)..that's just not the amp you wanna be using for your main sound.

You'll work it out though. Congrats on the Ibanez by the way, SWEET guitar. You could also try getting some residue-free electrical contact cleaner n spray it in the pots and turn them back and forth several times n then let em dry. If you've got one in poor shape, then that should breathe a good bit of life back into it for a while
                        "As I look back over a misspent life, I find myself more and more convinced that I had more fun PLAYING MY GUITAR than in any other enterprise. It IS really the life of KINGS...."

Comment

A tube head and a cab that is also sounding killer at bedroom level for $150? Yes, sure...

Comment

A Katana 100 is half the price of nearly all of the amps mentioned above.

I think it depends on what the OP wants to do with the amp and what he can ultimately afford. I have a feeling he's considering the Mustang and Bandit options due to their low cost and minimal upkeep. Cldarly, the Katana would be an upgrade over those.

As someone who has owned several popular, high-dollar tube amps, I find myself very content with the Katana 100 for home/studio use.

Comment

Originally posted by donaldr View Post
                              A tube head and a cab that is also sounding killer at bedroom level for $150? Yes, sure...

I cant see where anybody said anything about $150... Perhaps one might try reading the thread prior to commenting.

I think everyone has just been attepting to offer reasonable insight and suggestions. I know thats all I presume to do. $150 is a bit light yet on a tube amp n a cab. But for $300 or less Ive seen the blackstar ht-5 metal WITH a 112 cab brand new at a certain widely known guitar shop. And yes, it would sound good at bedroom level.

The way your post reads almost sounds as though your perception is that a tube amp that would sound good at bedroom level would be MORE expensive than a louder one. Its really exactly the opposite. I dont play my tube amp anywhere even CLOSE to bedroom level though. I play mine so the neighbors in the other neighborhood can hear!
                              "As I look back over a misspent life, I find myself more and more convinced that I had more fun PLAYING MY GUITAR than in any other enterprise. It IS really the life of KINGS...."

Comment

All the opinions are welcomed. As I mentioned above , I play classic guitar so you could say I'm a beginner on electric guitar.
                                I'll keep up with the little mustang for a while and then I'll go for a katana. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                                X