banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EVH 5150 50w el34, help not sure if it's me or issue with amp.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EVH 5150 50w el34, help not sure if it's me or issue with amp.

Oops, that last one was for the 6l6 version. Just order 7-12ax7s and 2 EL34's and your good to go.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by aiaosu View Post
      Oops, that last one was for the 6l6 version. Just order 7-12ax7s and 2 EL34's and your good to go.

It seems there's an issue with that first site's shipping right now. so, would this be ok (I see there's a bunch of different brands and models)?

2x https://reverb.com/item/407235-jj-tesla-jj-el34l

and

7x https://reverb.com/item/407243-new-j...amp-amplifiier

In the first site it says that one of the tubes is balanced for the phase inverter. Does that present a problem if I buy all of these individually?

Comment

Those should work fine. Just buy 6 12ax7s and search for a balanced one for the phase inverter. It doesn't have to be balanced but it may help in certain amps.

BTW, the EL34L that you listed is a little different than the original EL34. It supposedly has more headroom and bass. Some can tell, some can't. I've never used the EL34L, so I can't say if it's different.

Comment

Those should work fine. Just buy 6 12ax7s and search for a balanced one for the phase inverter. It doesn't have to be balanced but it may help in certain amps.

BTW, the EL34L that you listed is a little different than the original EL34. It supposedly has more headroom and bass. Some can tell, some can't. I've never used the EL34L, so I can't say if it's different.

Thanks a ton for your help man. Learning new stuff left and right . Below is a pic of my shopping cart. Does that look good? I read what you said about the EL34 models. I just googled and saw the EL34II have a warm high end and that sounds good to me even though i'm 100% sure I won't notice a difference. As long as it works, that's what I care about.

Also, on a side note, does that mean that pretty much the only difference between the this amp and the 6l6 one is literally just these 2 tubes? So if I put 2 6l6s in it it'd basically sound like the other amp?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1axO...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Your cart looks like the right stuff.

Yes, the difference is the two power tubes. EL34's supposedly have a different sound and feel than 6L6s (I've only used EL84's and EL34's) and EL34's are supposedly what EVH used with Van Halen back in the day.

Comment

Yes, the difference is the two power tubes. EL34's supposedly have a different sound and feel than 6L6s (I've only used EL84's and EL34's) and EL34's are supposedly what EVH used with Van Halen back in the day.

Thanks for your help man! I really appreciate it. I will let you know how it goes. It's kinda funny though. That amp is $100 more than the 6l6 model, and the only difference is the tubes. Kind of a rip off then lol.

Comment

No problem, hope it works out. Whether it's worth it or not is subjective. If you really like the sound and feel of EL34's, then it could be worth the money. If it helps inspire you, go for it and don't look back.

Comment

No problem, hope it works out. Whether it's worth it or not is subjective. If you really like the sound and feel of EL34's, then it could be worth the money. If it helps inspire you, go for it and don't look back.

Ok so I got the shipping update, everything is coming Friday.

So, just to confirm, I'm going to unplug everything, unscrew the top/back, (I'm going to wear some thin electricians gloves) and I just pop tube out, pop tube in. I don't have to do it in any specific order correct? Also, once I turn it back on should I let it warm up in standby for a good half hour or so?

Comment

Correct on the procedure for pulling out and pressing in tubes. When putting tubes in, they only go in 1 way, so look at the pins and look at the tube sockets to make sure that they line up correctly.

As for warming up, you don't have to wait that long. After the first 30-60 seconds, once full sound is passing through, just play and listen for any pops, noise, etc. But, hopefully, you're good to go.

Comment

I read somewhere he had 6CA7s in his original recording amp? Brighter and tighter, which might explain the 6L6 choice for a production version.

Also, if changing the power tubes, they’ll need to be biased to work and sound right.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                        I read somewhere he had 6CA7s in his original recording amp? Brighter and tighter, which might explain the 6L6 choice for a production version.

Also, if changing the power tubes, they’ll need to be biased to work and sound right.
                        Chillytouch has the EL34 version of the EVH Amp and is replacing EL34's with EL34's, so he shouldn't have to re bias.

I want this to be clear as Chillytouch has been uncomfortable with changing tubes.

Comment

Chillytouch has the EL34 version of the EVH Amp and is replacing EL34's with EL34's, so he shouldn't have to re bias.

I want this to be clear as Chillytouch has been uncomfortable with changing tubes.

So I got the EL34-IIs. Do I need to rebias for them?

Comment

Originally posted by chillytouch View Post
                            So I got the EL34-IIs. Do I need to rebias for them?
                            Nope, you should be good to go

Comment

Hmm, IME even changing like for like tubes they aren’t all identical and would need the bias checked, but ok.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                                Hmm, IME even changing like for like tubes they aren’t all identical and would need the bias checked, but ok.

If it does need biasing, it won't like, explode or anything right? I can at least try and see if it sounds ok, and if there is a sound discrepancy I can try and find somewhere that will bias it? All my tubes came today so I'm going to try it today.

Comment

Working...
                                X