banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's really the best way to "bedroom-ize" my peavey 6505+???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's really the best way to "bedroom-ize" my peavey 6505+???

Looking for some suggestions here on how to use my 6505 60 watt combo without making my daughter wine about how loud it is....I really don't want to buy a smaller amp if I don't have to but I don't want to compromise tone completely either...any suggestions???

Re: What's really the best way to "bedroom-ize" my peavey 6505+???

using an attenuator seems to be the best idea to me

Comment

In my experience attenuators are great for taming the volume at gigs and band rehearsals but don't sound great at bedroom volume. I've found I get better results at low volume by either using the amp's master volume if it has one (pre-amp volume up, master volume down) or by running the amp clean with a dirt pedal in front.

Comment

welcome to my world - I don't play through big/loud amps when my family is home. I just switch to no amp or vox ac30 amplug w/matching tiny cab.

Comment

I understand you like your 6505+, I use high-wattage amps too...

...but I use them live with a band at venues.

At some point you have to concede to the right tool for the job. You'll be happier once you do. A 60-watt amp is not an efficient method of amplifying your sound for playing at home.

Now, I hate to be that guy who goes around the edge of giving you the advice you're looking for, but I don't think there is really any good way to do what you're trying to do and use a 60-watt 2x12 combo in your house. What Simon F says about attenuators mirrors my experience as well.

There are a lot of lower-wattage amps out there that do high-gain nowadays - you'll be much happier in the long run with one of them.

Best of luck!
          -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Originally posted by sosomething View Post
            I understand you like your 6505+, I use high-wattage amps too...

...but I use them live with a band at venues.

At some point you have to concede to the right tool for the job. You'll be happier once you do. A 60-watt amp is not an efficient method of amplifying your sound for playing at home.

Now, I hate to be that guy who goes around the edge of giving you the advice you're looking for, but I don't think there is really any good way to do what you're trying to do and use a 60-watt 2x12 combo in your house. What Simon F says about attenuators mirrors my experience as well.

There are a lot of lower-wattage amps out there that do high-gain nowadays - you'll be much happier in the long run with one of them.

Best of luck!
            This.

You essentially have only 2 options;

1. compromise on tone and play lower volumes

or

2. buy a low watt amp strictly for bedroom jammin.
            Originally posted by grumptruck
            No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
            Originally posted by Gear Used
            PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
            Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
            Mesa Stiletto Ace
            Gurus 5015
            Mesa Widebody 1X12
            Pedalboard

Comment

I'd suggest buying a little practice amp.

I bought a little Yamaha THR 10 last week...worth its weight in gold.
              Gravity...its just a theory

Comment

I will be honest, unless you have thick walls even a 5 watt tube amp is going to be loud.
                just buy this and use headphones, or the optional "cab"
                Originally posted by MikeS
                a "career" of playing sold-out bedroom shows to the posters on my wall.
                Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
                whats becoming of this generation
                We want to listen to music while we mow the lawn.

Comment

Buy a Peavey Vypyr and set the amp model to 6505. Viola!

Comment

I read somewhere that a 5 watt amp is about as loud as a trumpet being blared at full volume. While I dont know if that is accurate trumpets can be pretty damn loud in an enclosed space.

The little Yamaha I bought sounds great. The little roland cubes sound pretty good too.
                    Gravity...its just a theory

Comment

another option is to 5150-ize your daughter with some earplugs.

Comment

Originally posted by Archer_of_Fish View Post
                        I read somewhere that a 5 watt amp is about as loud as a trumpet being blared at full volume.
                        Don't know about any trumpet, but my Marshall Class 5 arrived yesterday. It was almost distressingly loud. My ears have only stopped ringing this morning. I find myself wondering how to turn it down and get the grind I want -- and it's only a five-watter.

Originally posted by nedcronin
                        Pretty much what you suggested Ink.
                        Originally posted by metalmachine
                        dont worry about it bro. even if we dont like it...... were just internet ppl. not real ppl. more like a hulicination of a mythical forest creature.

Comment

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned an isolation cab yet. I'm gathering up the parts to build mine now. The construction isn't really that hard if you have some basic woodworking skills. I just started working B-shift, and would like to jam a little when I get home. (Post 11pm.) An iso-cab will allow me to crank to my hearts desire, and get true amp distortion.

Obviously, you'd also need a decent mic and probably a mic-pre and cheap mixing board. Or run into a home stereo.

Just a thought.

Artie

Comment

Originally posted by Ball&Chain View Post
                            Buy a Peavey Vypyr and set the amp model to 6505. Viola!
                            yep. remember its only for practicing.
                            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Assuming we're talking about getting a distorted sound (and there are good reasons to crank an amp that have little to do with anything most of us would call dirt/crunch/etc), you've got four things at work in a loud amp:

1) preamp tubes distorting
                              2) Power Tubes Distorting
                              3) Speaker cone(s) distorting -- this varies a lot by speaker model
                              4) the way your ears/brain process sounds of differing volumes.

Dropping the Master and cranking the Pre is one way to get a distorted sound quietly, and can be a GREAT sound, but it's a totally different sound to what that amp will sound like on 11, because you're taking out steps 2,3 and 4 up there.

Adding an attenuater gives you Step 2 back, but still leaves out 3 and 4.

An iso box will let you get 1, 2 and 3 into a mic, which then (eventually, at the end of a potentially long signal chain) is played back through headphones or monitors at a low level , which, because of both the mic/mixer/monitors/etc and Step 4, will make it sound different than you're used to hearing when you just crank it normally.

So if you want it to sound the same, only quieter...you're boned. But you can get some good sounds using those other techniques.
                              ---------------------------
                              The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Working...
                              X