banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone use a bridge pickup in the neck position?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone use a bridge pickup in the neck position?

I've read online of people using bridge pickups in the neck position (specifically Super Ds, JBs), I'm curious about the pros and cons of this kind of configuration from people who use or have used them.

I have a short scale guitar with 24 frets, I'm thinking of upgrading the pickups, and because the neck position doesn't sound like a traditional neck (sounds more like the middle position on a Strat) I started thinking about using a medium-output bridge style pickup in that slot, and a higher output pickup in the bridge slot.

Any opinions would be appreciated (I know it's a cheap guitar, but I like it enough to invest some money into it)

Re: Does anyone use a bridge pickup in the neck position?

I suppose that it depends on how hot your bridge pickup is.
    The Dimebucker is paired with a 59b in it's official set.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm happy with a stag mag in the neck. I did it because there was no neck equivalent.

Remember that differentiating between neck and bridge is relatively recent, as long as you think of balancing them like you are, you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a jb in the neck of an sg. Simply for my own amusement to pair it with a custom 8 made from a custom 5. And to my surprise it pairs extreeemely well and I would recommend it to anyone and everyone who reads this that plays an sg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Comment

I have 59B in the neck position of my Dean V79 (22 frets, Gibson scale length), paired with a Bill and Becky L500XL. I tried the 59N but it didn't have enough volume. The 59B in the neck was louder, more clear and was a perfect match for the L500XL. Definitely going to keep that combo in that guitar.

Comment

I was having problems with getting a nice overdrive tone out of P-Rails and somebody here suggested switching bridge and neck. Did it, Bridge in neck position and sounds great. The neck P-Rial also sounds great in the bridge position. Looks sorta upside down funny but it works and thats what matters.

Comment

Thanks for the responses

Originally posted by Spyder328 View Post
              I have 59B in the neck position of my Dean V79 (22 frets, Gibson scale length), paired with a Bill and Becky L500XL. I tried the 59N but it didn't have enough volume. The 59B in the neck was louder, more clear and was a perfect match for the L500XL. Definitely going to keep that combo in that guitar.
              I've been thinking about getting a set of Wilde L500s, if for no other reason than the price and look. I've never actually used them though, only the Dimebucker

Comment

if your bridge pickup is hot enough you can slap anything on the neck slot, the dimebucker is so hot that it can handle a jb and maybe even a distortion, a Lace Deathbucker is so infernal hot that it can handle a dimebucker on the neck.......

Comment

I've used a Screamin' Demon a lot in the neck position.

In output, it matches well with a JB bridge for reference.
                  It's very clear with bell-like highs, even mids and a very tight, but present low end that does NOT get flabby no matter what.

I'd use it if I wanted a John Petrucci-like lead tone with plenty of bite, but with a bit lower output than his signature pickups, and not Dimarzios.
                  Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                  Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                  Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                  Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

81/81, Super D/Super D, and JB/JB are all known and used combos, sometimes even coming stock in guitars.

I believe the Duncan Distortion neck started out being sold as a bridge pickup.

The Jazz bridge is known to be a good neck pickup.

A 24 fret guitar often requires a hotter neck pickup than usual to approach the usual juiciness of a neck pickup in a 22 fret one. So the bridge version of a typical neck pickup might indeed be the solution for you.

Comment

One of my country's best guitar players, Youri De Groote, uses the Duncan Custom humbucker in the neck spot of his Vigier Excalibur (paired with a Custom in the bridge and a Custom single coil in the middle). It's his favourite setup and his signature Vigier came with those pickups too.

Please, if you like this song, vote and like this video for me here :http://www.guitaridol.tv/Entry/Index/415Thank you.This song is an original composition. ...
                      "You can buy muscles (steroïds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Comment

Fast2 in the neck with an x2n at the bridge is actually a real good match for blended and neck-only leads.

Comment

'Bridge' and 'neck' are just names. Didn't Epiphone make a Kiss signature with 3 JBs? If the pickups give you the tone and balance you want, go for it.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Air Norton is one of my favorite neck pickups, although some people (not me) like to use them at the bridge.
                            Mesa/Boogie MkIII+ & MkIVb + Mark Series Stack
                            Marshall JVM410H
                            Charvel 650 Custom-EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
                            Charvel San Dimas I Koa USA BKP + Style 1 2H - JB/'59, Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
                            ESP Eclipse II EMG 81/60 + Viper Urban Camo + JH-600 SPC (2)
                            Carvin DC400CA + DC127T Koa - DD/'59
                            Fender Custom Yngwie Strat - Seafoam Green w/rosewood, Fender Yngwie Strat - Sonic Blue w/maple, Fender Telecaster
                            Charvel 475 Deluxe + 475 Exotic PATB set
                            Ibanez UV7BK, B.C. Rich Eagle - Evo2/Air Norton

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                              'Bridge' and 'neck' are just names. Didn't Epiphone make a Kiss signature with 3 JBs? If the pickups give you the tone and balance you want, go for it.
                              what ARE you talking about Dave?

A lot of guys, in the way-back-olden-days used to use two super-D's in a guitar
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                              X