banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Those of you who don't know how your equipment works - why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those of you who don't know how your equipment works - why?

So I'm curious. For those of you who are NOT beginners but don't really know how your guitars and amps work, why is that? I think you know who I'm talking about - the player who can play but when it comes to any of the knobs or switches on their guitar or amp they are lost. They have lousy tone because they don't know how to dial in their amp, and/or they're playing a guitar that's so hopelessly out of spec that it sounds awful. Like I was over at my buddy's place the other night and we played some guitar and his guitars were so unbelievably off in their setups that I was like, "dude... let me fix this for you."

I'm of the mindset that if you call yourself a guitar player should know how to do basic maintenance on your instrument: String changes, adjust neck relief, set intonation. I get how two decades ago this might have been harder to do, but all the knowledge on how to do this stuff is a google search away.
    -
    My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Re: Those of you who don't know how your equipment works - why?

I’m always puzzled by this. I assume the same people can’t set the clock on their microwaves.

I always see these people complain when a guitar has too many controls. But do they treat the rest of life that way? There’s lots of knobs and buttons in your car too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Maybe it's a left-brain / right-brain thang. I can set up, dial-in, and tweak a guitar to the 9's. That way, it sounds good for all three chords.

I wish I could play like you guys do.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
        I wish I could play like you guys do.
        Poorly?
        -
        My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

No. I got that down.

Comment

I can do most of it and I usually do but sometimes I just can't be bothered because of other life requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
              I’m always puzzled by this. I assume the same people can’t set the clock on their microwaves.

I always see these people complain when a guitar has too many controls. But do they treat the rest of life that way? There’s lots of knobs and buttons in your car too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              What's that you say
              That thing is supposed to blink 12s right

I can't play well
              Cant set up a guitar
              Or tune an amp

Just like to decorate the walls with them

Some years ago some girl came by and said I needed to decorate
              With something I was interested in

And that started it
              I didn't mean to collect them but that's how it happens

I too think that eventually the ten or twelve minutes I spend playing a month will add up to the 10 thousand hours it takes to get good
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I like tinkering with stuff almost as much as I like playing. One of the reasons I go through so much gear is I love the challenge of getting the new stuff set how I like it. Once I do, I look for some inspiration to change something, like the setup, or even the instrument.

So yeah, I don’t get it either.
                “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I have been learning as much as I can over the last few years.
                  I can completely rewire a guitar from scratch although I still need a diagram to follow.
                  My basic setups have improved greatly as of late as well.

I can’t and don’t really want to mess with fret work. It’s intimidating.

I can dial in good tone on my amps. That’s something I’ve been obsessed with for a while.

However.....let me play devil’s advocate just because.

I’d venture to guess that probably all of us (or 99% anyway) have a driver’s license.
                  I’d also wager that the vast minority of us have the knowledge to rip apart a given automobile system and repair it.
                  Mind you....I didn’t say anybody lacks the SKILL to do it.....

It’s very possible that many people don’t care to learn how to work on guitars...just like many people don’t care to work on their cars.

And yes....I know that there’s going to be SOMEBODY that chimes in and tells us how they do all of the work on both their guitars and cars.....

Who’s it going to be?

Comment

For me, it was always a necessity. I couldn't afford to take my gear to someone else, so I had to learn to work on stuff.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                      And yes....I know that there’s going to be SOMEBODY that chimes in and tells us how they do all of the work on both their guitars and cars.....

Who’s it going to be?
                      ME! But I totally agree with your point: most drivers can't rebuild or repair their cars and as best I can tell a fair number of really good guitar players don't really understand the nuances of their guitars any more than a typical driver understands how fuel injection works.

We are the geeky minority. That is why we are on a forum like this in the first place!

Comment

I learned a lot from the guys I played with back in the early 70s when I was starting out.

No Internet in those days of course. There was a book called How To Fix Your Electric Guitar.
                        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Sounds logical that you would be curious to want to know, until I think of many of the best guitar players in the world who have no idea how any of it works -guitar or amp -they spend their time playing more not thinking about electronics, acoustics and transduction
                          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I can dial my amp's in, work on my guitars (anything from wiring to basic fret-work) and do some basic stuff with amp's/electronics. Where I don't really like to mess around is with digital stuff. I hate messing with ton's of menu's/parameters/sub-parameters/options etc. Presets is the only way to go

Not really obsessive about tone anyway....I mean "good enough" is fine for me. When it comes to tone.. fat, sweet, loose (ish), dark & round is what I go for mostly..
                            "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                            If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                              ME! But I totally agree with your point: most drivers can't rebuild or repair their cars and as best I can tell a fair number of really good guitar players don't really understand the nuances of their guitars any more than a typical driver understands how fuel injection works.

We are the geeky minority. That is why we are on a forum like this in the first place!
                              Ha!!
                              For years I wanted to learn how to maintain my guitars but was intimidated.
                              I had bought one of Dan Earlwine’s books but still....I don’t have the confidence.
                              It wasn’t until about 2 years ago that I gave learning another chance.
                              And like you said....forums like this one and the people that post here have given me the confidence to attempt again.

So thank you to the membership here doing what you do!!

Comment

Working...
                              X