banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between '59 reissue and regular '59 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Difference between '59 reissue and regular '59 ?

My Ant mag. Smooth and beat up. Seymour signature.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200618_121250.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	5820858
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
      Just buy a set of new 59's and two roughcast A5 magnets. Might as well get two roughcast A2 magnets too.

I get mine from Addiction FX.

Magnet swapping is easy - especially on pickups that are not wax potted.

The 59 set is a great set for experimenting with magnets and finding out what YOU like.

It's well worth the effort.
      My 59 I have in use right now is a production 59n with a brass baseplate and A2 spacers. I'm focusing on jazz right now and I'm going to be experimenting more with 59s, either in the neck or the middle. I have a 59b and an 80s 59b incoming. The next magnets I'm going to try is I'm gonna bond an A2 and A3 and remagnetize them to make a double thick magnet and also an A2 and A5. I prefer smooth mags. I tried RC and I guess I don't care for them. Also interesting that your Ants came with RC mags while mine didn't.
      I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
        My 59 I have in use right now is a production 59n with a brass baseplate and A2 spacers. I'm focusing on jazz right now and I'm going to be experimenting more with 59s, either in the neck or the middle. I have a 59b and an 80s 59b incoming. The next magnets I'm going to try is I'm gonna bond an A2 and A3 and remagnetize them to make a double thick magnet and also an A2 and A5. I prefer smooth mags. I tried RC and I guess I don't care for them. Also interesting that your Ants came with RC mags while mine didn't.
        I've opened up three Antiquity humbuckers and removed the magnets. All three had roughcast magnets like the one in the photo I posted. And they were all initialed by MJ, so they were original.
        “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Yeah I don't doubt you. I shouldn't have presumed that you hadn't checked back when the disagreement first happened. Duncan obviously has some variation in their production. Like how you'll get different color bobbins under the covers.
          Last edited by Clint 55; 06-18-2020, 01:11 PM.
          I bought them for you

Comment

There are a few new Antiquites available. Read about them here.

Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Do you hear any reduction in output swapping the '59s A5 for an A2 or A4 (or the other A5 variants)? I've got an mj wound, older, uncovered '59b that I'm wanting to tame the brightness of, without sacrificing the low end or output
              Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

Originally posted by gsammo79 View Post
                Do you hear any reduction in output swapping the '59s A5 for an A2 or A4 (or the other A5 variants)? I've got an mj wound, older, uncovered '59b that I'm wanting to tame the brightness of, without sacrificing the low end or output
                The roughcast A5 will help a lot with that.

RCA2 will help even more but the feel of the bass will change and become looser.

I like that in a bridge pickup but you may not.

Yes, when changing from A5 to A2, A3 or A4 there is a change in perceived output.
                Last edited by Lewguitar; 06-18-2020, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Yes, I do notice a drop in output from A5 to A2.

If you want to tame the brightness but maintain output, use A6.

My go to mag for vintage output bridge hums is double thick A2. Maintains all the vintageness but actually boosts output and fills it out. Really epic but more hassle to obtain and install.
                  I bought them for you

Comment

Yes, I do notice a drop in output from A5 to A2.

If you want to tame the brightness but maintain output, use A6.

My go to mag for vintage output bridge hums is double thick A2. Maintains all the vintageness but actually boosts output and fills it out. Really epic but more hassle to obtain and install.
                    Appreciate the response, Lew & Clint.

What are the dimensions on double thick A2s? Is there a place you've had much luck finding them?
                    Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

You're welcome. Here's the page. The dims are on there. You'll need a pack of spacers as well from ebay or what have you.

Last edited by Clint 55; 06-18-2020, 08:27 PM.
                      I bought them for you

Comment

Are the pickups in the Vintage Blues set 59 the same as the SH-1 N and B's? They look somewhat different, other than the lack of branding.

Comment

Originally posted by Slink View Post
                          Are the pickups in the Vintage Blues set 59 the same as the SH-1 N and B's? They look somewhat different, other than the lack of branding.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seymour-Dun...2559147&sr=8-2
                          My understanding is that they are standard Duncan 59's, packaged as a set.

In fact, this is the set of 59's I performed magnet swaps in to determine what magnets produced the tones I had been searching for. I have them in one of my sunburst PRS SE guitars.

My set started life with polished A5 magnets, then a set of RCA4 magnets and finally with RCA3 in the neck and RCA2 in the bridge.

I've done that mod now to several sets of 59's and feel that THAT is the sound I've heard in my head and have been searching for, for almost as long I've been playing the guitar.

I do like the stock 59's too!
                          Last edited by Lewguitar; 06-19-2020, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Yeah the Vintage Blues should be a standard 59 set.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks for clarifying.

Yeah, I have to say, I've not installed the 59s yet, but all the samples I've heard from guitars with them installed make me think 'that's my ideal tone'. I've got a Les Paul Traditional from 2015 which has some stock tribute humbuckers, and they're not bad, but there's something of their tone that's just lacking, too thin and too trebly.

Comment

What are the dimensions on double thick A2s? Is there a place you've had much luck finding them?
                                2 spacers on both sides. 1 side needed a shim. This is my Fralin Pure PAF. It wouldn't let me post the picture in the dm.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200619_141911.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	5820866
                                Last edited by Clint 55; 06-19-2020, 02:28 PM.
                                I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                                X