banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shoud we have a pickups review thread/forum?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shoud we have a pickups review thread/forum?

Too many variables involved to do pickup reviews. Everyone's got different guitars, different amps, different stomps, different speakers, different cords, different batteries, et al...

It might sound crappy through your gear... but through "JimBob's" SS Crate and Death Metal pedal, it might sound like the next Handel's Messiah.

Best you can do is an audio or video clip using the pickup with your gear to be used as reference.

Comment

If this is January, we must be getting the "How About a Sub-Forum" requests. Thank you for the suggestion.

Way back when, the Vault was the place where we reviewed pickups. If you'd like to start a review thread of a pickup that's not already in the vault, please do so. And at some point, when it's run it's course, we'll Vault it. If you want to add something to a review that's already in the Vault, PM one of the admins, and we'll move it for a day or two into the Pickup Lounge and then return it to the Vault. Just please remember to stay on point and not hijack a review thread.

Originally posted by DreX View Post
      I'd like to see wire gauges info, even wind count would be nice, guass targets in addition to magnet alloy types, frequency response analysis, and everything else. I don't buy the trade secret thing, if someone really wants to sell a knock off of the JB, they can figure all this out anyway
      I got a good laugh out of this. Drex, I'd like to see your SSN, all your credit card numbers and PINs posted for all of us use freely. I don't buy the privacy thing. If someone really wants to steal your identity, they can figure it out anyway. So please make it easier for them.

(By the way, before you start calling the Internet police on me, that's a joke. And I'm going to give Drex the benefit of the doubt and assume he was joking too).
      Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
      Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Drex doesn't joke Evan. Come on, you already knew that.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp View Post
          And I'm going to give Drex the benefit of the doubt and assume he was joking too).
          I'm NOT.

Every word he writes means business.

Comment

What's mainly fueled this is that I recently changed out a few pickups, solved a few problems I had with the existing and if this was 1999, I'd probably throw a review up on the Harmony Central review section (RIP).

I just wondered if having something like that here would be useful simply as this forum seems quite amenable to plain ol' pickup discussion and not policing threads about non-SD products (it's a good thing btw).

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp View Post
              I got a good laugh out of this. Drex, I'd like to see your SSN, all your credit card numbers and PINs posted for all of us use freely. I don't buy the privacy thing. If someone really wants to steal your identity, they can figure it out anyway. So please make it easier for them.

(By the way, before you start calling the Internet police on me, that's a joke. And I'm going to give Drex the benefit of the doubt and assume he was joking too).
              Hahaha. Shame. I was going to follow suit with my microprocessor and power supply designs, builds and test data. I could have even filled it out with some IP from my company, hang the consequences! LOL.

Comment

Wait... are you saying a pickup can't be reverse engineered?

IT'S ONE, MAYBE TWO, COILS.

Comment

You can figure the gauss out with one of these

Are you going to tell me with a straight face that this is a trade secret?

Comment

If you can... then do so... But why do you expect a company to do it for you? I think its rather indignant of you to suggest that just since its possible they should.
                    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Yes, it is unreasonable to request technical specifications of a thing you buy, one should never do that.

Comment

Yes, it is unreasonable to request technical specifications of a thing you buy, one should never do that.
                        They give technical specs... They just dont give all... Tell me what product do you buy that gives you ever single spec? Hell you cant even get all the specs for Coca Cola
                        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

This all makes me wonder about the "try [insert product] out at your local stockist" thing we're often advised to do not being as widely available as it's thought to be, so a number of people are reliant on the input, opinion of others, and specification. A right pain, for something that's so speculative :-S
                          My mum says I'm speshal...

Comment

If someone is determined to duplicate a pickup, the would a) have to have already spent money on a pickup winding apparatus, and b) have spent money on the business infrastructure required to sell guitar pickups. Do you think after incurring those expenses they're going to balk at buying, say, a JB, in order to figure out how it's constructed?

You can talk in broad generalities up to a point, but when you get into the details of it, withholding the specifics makes no sense. Actually.. it might, but not for the reasons you might expect.

Comment

If someone is determined to duplicate a pickup, the would a) have to have already spent money on a pickup winding apparatus, and b) have spent money on the business infrastructure required to sell guitar pickups. Do you think after incurring those expenses they're going to balk at buying, say, a JB, in order to figure out how it's constructed?

You can talk in broad generalities up to a point, but when you get into the details of it, withholding the specifics makes no sense. Actually.. it might, but not for the reasons you might expect.
                              What expenses? You can build a winder using the plans in Jason Lollars book for cheap. I built mine for just over 60 bucks. You make a ton of assumptions then assert that since you think its so then it must be true.. and the cookie just doesnt crumble that way.

Its not a matter if it makes sense or not. Its the their company its their product they can choose to do so for any reason. Even if only that reason is... nahhh would take to long to write down. They dont owe it to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                                What expenses? You can build a winder using the plans in Jason Lollars book for cheap. I built mine for just over 60 bucks. You make a ton of assumptions then assert that since you think its so then it must be true.. and the cookie just doesnt crumble that way.
                                So you can start a pickup winding company for $60, is what you're saying? How about packaging, distribution channels, labor costs, sourcing bulk materials, etc? At the end of the day, the cost of determining the specs of a pickup are trivial to business, but is cost prohibitive to us, the loyal and giving customer.

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                                Its not a matter if it makes sense or not. Its the their company its their product they can choose to do so for any reason. Even if only that reason is... nahhh would take to long to write down. They dont owe it to you.
                                I'm still entitled to an opinion all the same.

Comment

Working...
                                X