Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibanez TS9DX stopped working, Ideas?

Hey everyone.

My TS9DX quit the other day, worked one day, the next day it didn't. No LED, no output. It's one of my favorite and most used pedals.

I made sure the input/output jacks were clean, and opened the back and looked and checked the switch, and looked over the board for any obvious issues. I've tried it with both a 9V and my power supply. nothing either way.

I have basic knowledge of circuits and a multimeter, but no oscilloscope or anything and I think further diagnostics may be beyond the scope of what I can do.

So my question is what next? Do i write it off and get another pedal? Does anyone repair them? Or does anyone know something to try?

Thanks in advance.
    -Matt
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" -Mario Andretti

"Cuz we both know I'm just a lost cause, a wannabe poet with a cheap guitar, begging for applause"

Re: Ibanez TS9DX stopped working, Ideas?

Any chance the wrong or reverse polarity power supply was used?
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Buy a new one.

Great pedal, and as you said - your most used one. No surprise.
      Last edited by Aceman; 04-17-2019, 09:20 PM.
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        Any chance the wrong or reverse polarity power supply was used?
        I don't believe so. I went from using batteries to a One spot about 4 months ago, and it's been working fine. Played monday with it and it was fine, Tuesday it wouldn't turn on.
        "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" -Mario Andretti

"Cuz we both know I'm just a lost cause, a wannabe poet with a cheap guitar, begging for applause"

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
          Buy a new one.

Great pedal, and as you said - your most used one. No surprise.
          Pretty much what I figured, I'll probably just go with a regular TS9 this time, since that's the mode I almost always used it on.

Comment

Originally posted by v8stang289 View Post
            I don't believe so. I went from using batteries to a One spot about 4 months ago, and it's been working fine. Played monday with it and it was fine, Tuesday it wouldn't turn on.
            Maybe a bad power supply ? Have you tried the pedal with a battery since it died ?

Comment

Eventually in these things the caps start to go bad, whether it's on/off or unplugged. Some types of caps go faster than others and sometimes it's down to the individual component.
              You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
              Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
                Maybe a bad power supply ? Have you tried the pedal with a battery since it died ?
                Yeah, I've tried it both ways. And the power supply is still powering the rest of my pedals.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                  Eventually in these things the caps start to go bad, whether it's on/off or unplugged. Some types of caps go faster than others and sometimes it's down to the individual component.
                  Im figuring a bad cap, op amp, or some connection issue on the board or something. I think I'll just get another one, and take this to a friend that dabbles in electronics repair and see if he can get anywhere with it.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Comment

Originally posted by v8stang289 View Post
                    Pretty much what I figured, I'll probably just go with a regular TS9 this time, since that's the mode I almost always used it on.
                    NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

If I had my life to live over I'd always get the DX over the plain old TS9.
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I just wanted to update this for anyone else that runs into this issue. Long story short, it was the switch, even though it didnt seem to be.

I took the pedal out the other day and was checking it over again. I did what I should have done to begin with. I unsoldered the wires from the switch and touched them together, lo and behold, the pedal powered on...
                      I checked the switch again and when pressed it had continuity, when released it did not, acting as it was supposed to. I reconnected it and it still didn't work. I'm honestly not sure what was going on inside the switch. I'm not an electronics guru but I understand basic circuits. The reason I shelved it and got a new TS9 was that the switch appeared to be working and jumping it (while leaving the wires attached) wouldn't power on the pedal, so I thought the issue was somewhere else in the circuit that I couldn't find.
                      I'm guessing there was some sort of short to ground inside the switch, or something that wasn't letting current travel as intended to complete the circuit. I'm really not sure.
                      At any rate, since touching the wires together powered the pedal, I said eff it and ordered a $5 switch from Ebay. It came in today and I soldered it in place of the factory switch. Now the TS9DX is up and running again.

I just wanted to post the fix to possibly help future searchers since often times a solution is never posted.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Snapchat-1920385894.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	6021338

Comment

Thanks for the update! I had wondered if you ever figured out what it was.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Good to know. I have a DX and it's awesome. Love all the modes and options. Every setting throughout the range of the controls is useful.

Comment

well done sir!

Comment

Good job. Now I want one.

Comment

Working...
                              X