banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rockerverb mkI 50 getting closer but still sounds like there’s a blanket over it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rockerverb mkI 50 getting closer but still sounds like there’s a blanket over it.

I’m getting it dialed in more. I found the sweet spot where it sounds the best in my room. After a week of being sick I’m finally back to tweaking it. The drive channel sounds good but the clean sounds like there is a thick blanket over it. No matter how I dial it in. What would be some ways to help get rid of this? Would using an eq pedal work or something like an EP booster?

Re: Rockerverb mkI 50 getting closer but still sounds like there’s a blanket over it.

Originally posted by man-in-moon View Post
    I’m getting it dialed in more. I found the sweet spot where it sounds the best in my room. After a week of being sick I’m finally back to tweaking it. The drive channel sounds good but the clean sounds like there is a thick blanket over it. No matter how I dial it in. What would be some ways to help get rid of this? Would using an eq pedal work or something like an EP booster?
    What preamp tubes are you using? I find that JJs tend to do that in my Marshalls; the overdrive channels will sound good, while the clean is dull and rather lifeless.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Re: Rockerverb mkI 50 getting closer but still sounds like there’s a blanket over it.

Originally posted by man-in-moon View Post
      EP Booster won’t help - it noticeably fattens the low end of signal. EQ would be my suggestion if you go pedal route.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
        What preamp tubes are you using? I find that JJs tend to do that in my Marshalls; the overdrive channels will sound good, while the clean is dull and rather lifeless.
        This is my thought too. I find that the RI Mullard has nice chime and sparkle in a clean channel. At least it does in my Splawn.

Comment

What speaker/cab are you using? Are you using it at bedroom levels? It might not open up until past that, I wouldn't consider that a bedroom amp.

Comment

Right now it has EH pre tubes in it. The speakers are the stock vintage 30’s it’s a 2x12 combo. I’ve been reading online where people talked about the mkI series sounding like that on the clean channel. They were supposed to have fixed it with the mk2 And mk3 series. I’m sure the size of the whole amp might have something to do with it the cabinet isn’t much bigger than a standard 2x12 and has all the stuff crammed in there. It’s a partial open back which I’m sure helps some.
            I am able to crank it alittle but I usually stay around 2-2.5 on the volume.

Comment

I’ve never played a Rockerverb; but I think a duller sound is sort of Orange’s ‘thing?’
              Originally posted by King Buzzo
              I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Originally posted by Silence Kid View Post
                I’ve never played a Rockerverb; but I think a duller sound is sort of Orange’s ‘thing?’
                I always felt the Orange voicing was kinda fizzy/raspy amps with bassy-sounding cabs?
                Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 10-11-2019, 11:14 AM.

Comment

My peavey triple xxx is the same way clean. I either soak it with effects, or just roll down the volume on the crunch channel and play cleanish stuff. Havent found a good way to deal with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

You're not playing it loudly enough. If you're using a 50w amp on 2 you ought to sell it and get a 5w amp you can crank.
                    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
                      You're not playing it loudly enough. If you're using a 50w amp on 2 you ought to sell it and get a 5w amp you can crank.
                      I agree. If the Rockerverb does not work for the OP, perhaps selling it off for a decent amount and getting a 5 to 15-watt amp would work out. I find it's better for my practice room if I work with my Dark Terror in the 7 or 15-watt modes to get the tones I want and yet the amp has plenty of highs so that my tone is far from dull sounding. The amp has to work a bit to get to or above its ideal tone.

Studioplayer

Comment

I do get to crank it sometimes when the wife is at work. I generally try to stay around 20 watts or less. I have it up for trade locally but if I can’t find anything i will probably keep it just for the drive channel. And get something else just for cleans. I do want to try different preamp tubes.

Comment

For what it's worth, the OR15 and Jim Root heads are basically 15w Rockerverb gain channels.
                          green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

If the Rockerverb sounds like the one in this video, I guess that's pretty dark; I actually like that though.

Originally posted by King Buzzo
                            I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Working...
                            X