X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Les Pauls

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

#1 I think it is just that Snakes doesn't like the 59. Clearly NOT the pickup for him. When you don't like it in any guitar, especially that range of makes/wood/etc….iut isn't the Pup - it's YOU. And that's not a bad thing. Just not your thing!
    Well, I used the 59 neck exclusively for almost a decade so I gave it a fair shot. Also, like I said in my post, I loved the 59 neck in a 25.5" scale Strat. It's is definitely the pickup for me in that guitar. I also like running it in a 24.75" scale guitar without using a capacitor. So, again, I've played around with the 59. I just like the 59 neck better with an A2. I think the Jazz neck is the best A5 neck humbucker Duncan sells right out of the box for a 24.75" scale. Of course that is just my opinion but it took me playing on a 59 for a decade to realize what I really wanted and/or liked. So, yes, you are correct that the 59 is not right for me but I took my time getting to that conclusion!
    Soundcloud

Comment

The point of this thread is no so much about 59s, or even Les Pauls.
      The point of this thread is to ask people not to over generalize about the combinations of pickups and guitars.

For example:

"pickup x" can sound muddy/spiky/bad/good in "guitar Y".

This is fine....the trouble is that people often actually have "guitar Z" and are passing it off as "guitar Y".

Obviously different pickups interact with different guitars. "guitar z" is not the same as "guitar Y" no matter how similar it may look on the outside.
      My request is that if your frame of reference is "guitar Z" then let people know that is what you are talking about.

There is a lot more to guitars than just their silhouette.
      I'm just asking that people take this into account when describing how different pickups interact with different axes.
      Last edited by Chickenwings; 01-25-2015, 04:58 PM.
      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I have a 2012 LP Standard. I was all about replacing the pickups until someone told me it had 300k pots.

Installed some 500k pots one weekend and magically it sounded incredible.

Then for some stupid reason i installed EMG pickups in it. And yes, I sold the original pickups it came with.

Hi, I'd like to introduce myself, my name is derp!

Comment

The same goes for any type of guitar and pickup. Good luck getting people to quit making sweeping generalizations based on almost totally unreliable information and perception. You'll have better luck trying to turn the sky green. All you can do is sit back and silently know better.
          Last edited by ItsaBass; 01-25-2015, 05:09 PM.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Yogi Berra was correct.
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
            Good luck getting people to quit making sweeping generalizations based on almost totally unreliable information and perception.
            'Unreliable information and perception' being opinions that differ from yours?
            "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
            "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
            "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
              The point of this thread is no so much about 59s, or even Les Pauls.
              The point of this thread is to ask people not to over generalize about the combinations of pickups and guitars.
              I apologize, I think I initially misunderstood in that case. I hope not to offend, but isn't that a bunch of crap? Surely we have to generalize sometimes?

I mean, if I put a Jackson Soloist and a Les Paul next to each other then I don't think I would blame you for having some pre-conceived notions about which one would be hotter or darker, brighter or more fretboard w*nkery friendly for example. And you would probably be right!

I'm as much as an advocate as anyone with the idea that any two guitars of the same make and model can and most likely will sound different. I'm with you. But surely if I come here looking for Les Paul pickups, it's not a completely far out thought that you will have some idea on how the guitar sounds in the first place? It may get a little tougher with some lesser known guitars, for example if I came on here looking for pickups for a Synister Gates Schecter or something else that's not too common.

Comment

depends if you see an epiphone les paul and a gibson les paul as being the same make and model or not. They are both called Les Pauls and they both come from factories owned by the same company. Personally, when playing two guitars like these i find enough sonic differences that its worth mentioning to someone who might be choosing pickups, which guitar is the frame of reference.

i reckon these three guitars are different enpugh that its worth mentioning too. Even tho they are all stratocasters and all are made in factories owned by the same company:

We have to generalize to a small extent, given that every individual guitar has its own individual nuances, but i think its only fair to people that we might be giving advice to that we let them know exactly what we mean as far as possible when we are talking about how certain pickups interact with certain guitars.
                Last edited by Chickenwings; 01-26-2015, 02:07 AM.
                "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post

So, in the future my request is this: That when we offer advice to try to help out a forumite, can we please make the effort to explain a frame of reference for the sound of a particular pickup. Eg: I found that in my mid 90s epiphone that the 59 sounded too bass heavy.
                  This will at least allow the reader to fill in the gaps of their own knowledge when they are comparing their experience between, say a bright and lively R7 reissue and a dull sounding samick that they used to own.
                  Actually if you think about the guys who are the fondest of saying "59's are always xxxxx in LP" or "JB's dont work in LP's" are guys who dont actually play Gibson Les Pauls... But guys who play one of the various Epis or single cut copies from some asian manufacturer.

They also love to appeal to the bandwagon. "Most guys here love A4's in the neck of their LP's" Never mind that "most" is their code for 4 people...
                  "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                  you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                    You'll have better luck trying to turn the sky green. All you can do is sit back and silently know better.
                    At the end of the day my consolation is that I realize that this forum is tiny microcosm of the guitar industry as a whole and is really much ado about nothinig...
                    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

yeah pretty much
                      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

So... I should use 59s?

(just kidding)

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                          Actually if you think about the guys who are the fondest of saying "59's are always xxxxx in LP" or "JB's dont work in LP's" are guys who dont actually play Gibson Les Pauls... But guys who play one of the various Epis or single cut copies from some asian manufacturer.

Oh, it's a lot more than one or two guys, but you see what you want to see and remember what you want to remember. If it was just me, I wouldn't even be mentioning it. It's when I see a variety of members say the same thing that I begin to see a pattern.

Everyone here uses generalizations when recommending PU's, based on what we've experienced or others have posted about. And that's exactly what people want who come here asking for advice. They don't want to hear: "Every Duncan sounds great in every guitar for every genre." They could do that on their own. Are we allowed to say '59's tend to have a sharp high-end and scooped mids, or is that not politically correct either? What can we say? Everyone here gives their opinions on tone, what they like and how to get them. Gibson175 has certainly spoken negatively about '57 Classics on multiple occasions; isn't that a generalization? Some people love them. Some '57 fan could start a thread about that, and he's just as guilty as the people he's complaining about in this thread.

Or what about the generalization that all Gibsons sound better than all Epi's? There's been many Gibson owners here that have said otherwise. But that generalization is oaky to parrot, huh? And it's also okay when you guys 'play to the bandwagon.'

It all comes down the generalizations being a problem only when you don't agree with them.
                          "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                          "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                            Oh, it's a lot more than one or two guys, but you see what you want to see and remember what yo... blah blah ...woof woof...
                            Did I name you? No i didnt... If you think your being picked on dont flatter yourself. If your guilty of the things i mentioned then maybe you should look inward.

The little tirade you just posted sounds more like a confession then a defense.

You can say anything you want... but if its an appeal to the bandwagon or the faceless "they" or "many" dont be suprised if you get questioned for the validity of your argument. If your observation and point are strong enough you dont have to make those sorts of fallacious arguments.

The whole point of G175's post and mine is that this place is rife with logical fallacies being used in dispensing advice. Advice that is lauded as being gospel when anything more than a cursory check would find that its not. If your advice is solid it doesnt need to be caked in BS for people to believe

Comment

I had a 1993 USA Gibson LP Standard for 10 years. I could not get that guitar to sound boomy or dark or have any other tonal character that I've always heard/read other people say about it. It sounded just as bright and brittle as any other guitar I'd ever played. Maybe because my picking technique and playing style and preamp/amp settings leaned heavily in that direction?

Other people who played it could make it sound dark and wooly and boomy all day long but couldn't get a stinging, piercing lead tone out of it like I could.

So I guess that means pickup recommendations in general are the largest generalization one could encounter?
                              Originally posted by Brown Note
                              I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                              My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
                                I had a 1993 USA Gibson LP Standard for 10 years.
                                THIS is good information for readers.
                                All i'm asking for is that people actually write what kind of axe they are using as their frame of reference when making recommendations.
                                Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Working...
                                X