Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Friendly Solo Contest 2

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
    Don't think of it as a contest. More an exhibition.
    And if someone doesn't like what you do, they can go hang.
    I (perfectionist that I am) still think that it's better to try and fail, then to not try at all.
    Besides, in a hundred years or so, you won't care whether or not what you did was good or bad.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
    Now this I agree with ALMOST entirely.

A few (hopefully motivational) notes:

You will not believe how self-conscious about my own playing I was before joining these particular forums and more particularly before taking part in this little solo contest. But I cannot tell you by just how much my outlook has changed and my confidence has been boosted as a result of both. Not a big deal to some I'm sure. And probably quite a few that will have listened to my contribution and be saying "well you should still be self-conscious about your playing". But be that as it may: in my head and when joining these forums I had the notion that everybody of these forums must be experienced, gigging, accomplished guitarists. Well that's not the case. So far as I can tell: I'm slightly more accomplished than some and a whole lot worse than others. But how else to learn and improve??? I cannot think of a better way. Not for me anyway. And I shudder to think how many fantastic and accomplished guitarists there may be out there but that simply don't have self confidence and it's holding them back.

Personally (and this may be a bit of a slippery slope): I think it'd be even more beneficial for people to be able to pass comment on the contributions as long as such comments are constructive and not defamatory. I may think that what I've done sounds absolutely wonderful but meanwhile I'm real bad and it sounds abhorrent. How else am I going to be able to improve??? Spend the next two years doing stuff, thinking to myself how wonderful it is, only to find it's rubbish, and thus waste another two years. See my point??? Rather tell me now: "dude: that's crap BUT here's an idea how to improve it".

Also been wanting to mention this business of making excuses for everything. Oh I do it. But to a FAR lesser degree than I used to. And it's because of a dude named Andrew Scheps. Look him up. One hell of a decent guy (even answered some recording and mixing and mastering queries I had directly). For those of you who don't know: he's produced and mixed stuff like Sabbath and Metallica. But he has a mantra and it goes something like this: "the only thing that matters is what comes out of the speakers". Search for that on YouTube and watch and absorb. I know I'm very guilty of berating myself for imperfections and always making excuses for the sound or for my playing and whatever else. And it has held me back. His point is: nobody cares what compressor you used or how you mixed this or recorded that. At the end of the day: all that matters is what the listener or audience hears. His mantra has also helped me tremendously.

You know: there was a song that I've been trying to recall for an absolute age and it's been at the back of my mind since this little contest was started. The guy talks through the whole song and it's a story about a persons life as it passes by. Seem to remember something about "sunscreen"??? And something about "you're not as ugly as you thought you were in seventh grade" (probably way off of the mark of course but I have a point here). Just try. And you will probably find that what you thought was inadequate or below par isn't actually the case at all especially if/when you revisit it at some time in the future.

So there you go. My (hopefully motivational) notes. I hope they help (even one person will do). And it'd sure be nice to get some more submissions here.

Comment

Originally posted by Archer250 View Post
      I would, but I don't feel confident enough to share too much of myself. Hence most of my YouTube videos are unlisted.
      It is nice that you posted this and with such honesty. See my post above my good man!!!

Comment

You know what? Forget it, I ain't got **** to lose. Imma approach this from a "studio" standpoint and just use 3 different guitars for each chord change. When you're lacking in inspiration, more guitar always helps.
        Originally posted by Myaccount876
        Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

There you go. Good on you.

And let me express something else (personal opinion of course):

It doesn't have to be the fastest most technical and complicated solo. I don't believe that everyone here is trying to outdo the next guy. Think "entertainment" which, I believe anyway, is why we all strive to master this instrument. Doesn't help to try outdo the next guy with every last note possible being crammed into the two or so minutes of the backing track which may result in a technically proficient performance and earn you "bragging rights" but yet at the same time nobody wants to listen to it more than once.

Comment

Here. Remembered what it was and I found it. Cheesy as it may have been when you first heard it when you were young: very surprising at just how apt and meaningful it becomes the older you get.

Last edited by dpaterson; 02-23-2019, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Alright. Here's my submission. 3 guitars for a 3-part solo with 2 extra tracks overlaid over certain parts.

EDIT: Reuploaded

Last edited by Archer250; 02-23-2019, 09:31 PM.
              Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190223_200418.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	5813039

This is my personal cell phone. I'd post but I don't have the means to simultaneously play the track and record at the same time.
                Hmmm, maybe I should just wing it without the backing track.

Comment

Originally posted by Archer250 View Post
                  Alright. Here's my submission. 3 guitars for a 3-part solo with 2 extra tracks overlaid over certain parts.

EDIT: Reuploaded

Dude!!! When I was saying to submit something I didn’t mean for you to be showing me up!!! LOL!!!

Very good. You sure got some chops going there.

Only one real criticism and that is that something goes “off” for a very few seconds starting at just about 0:54.

But great. Good on you. Now why don’t you (and others that may be lurking here) take a look at @LLL’s “Hearing Aid” (LOL!!!) thread???

Comment

Originally posted by PS412 View Post
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]96245[/ATTACH]

This is my personal cell phone. I'd post but I don't have the means to simultaneously play the track and record at the same time.
                    Hmmm, maybe I should just wing it without the backing track.
                    Go for it. Quality of recording etc. not on show here.

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterson View Post
                      Dude!!! When I was saying to submit something I didn’t mean for you to be showing me up!!! LOL!!!

Very good. You sure got some chops going there.

Only one real criticism and that is that something goes “off” for a very few seconds starting at just about 0:54.

But great. Good on you. Now why don’t you (and others that may be lurking here) take a look at @LLL’s “Hearing Aid” (LOL!!!) thread???
                      I'll give it a look, thanks!

Also, thanks for the criticism! It's always good and healthy to have criticism in order to grow.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Comment

As far as criticism is concerned: as I said yesterday it needs to be constructive is all. And could even point out something that maybe wasn’t noticed before. In your case: because of the very high notes at that point it may not even be your solo or playing i.e. could be an intonation problem on that particular guitar (something that I discovered myself when doing my solo). See what I mean???

Comment

Having a re-listening right now, yeah the 22nd fret has always been a problem for me with that guitar. The neck joint is just so thick I can't wrap my hands around it, so that tends to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                            Don't think of it as a contest. More an exhibition.
                            And if someone doesn't like what you do, they can go hang.
                            I (perfectionist that I am) still think that it's better to try and fail, then to not try at all.
                            Besides, in a hundred years or so, you won't care whether or not what you did was good or bad.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
                            All my contribution in tips and clips have been improvisation with one or two takes

I really need to invest time to post something actually practiced...
                            "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                            Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
                              All my contribution in tips and clips have been improvisation with one or two takes

I really need to invest time to post something actually practiced...
                              No excuses. And no sympathy!!! LOL!!! My contribution took thirteen days at between four and six hours per day. And it's not done yet. But I was starting pretty much from scratch i.e. you already have the chops. I had to work that thing out note-by-note to fit stuff in that "sounded" right (because I don't know my guitar SCALES or THEORY) (he says tongue in cheek)!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterson View Post
                                No excuses. And no sympathy!!! LOL!!! My contribution took thirteen days at between four and six hours per day. And it's not done yet. But I was starting pretty much from scratch i.e. you already have the chops. I had to work that thing out note-by-note to fit stuff in that "sounded" right (because I don't know my guitar SCALES or THEORY) (he says tongue in cheek)!!!
                                Didn't meant it as excuse and don't need no sympathy Just responding that it's not that serious

I think many don't participate these because they don't have time to focus for it and don't want to post something that's not "their level".
                                "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                                Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Working...
                                X